Old Habbits Die Hard

epocSoN

Yeah it's ok to question things and discuss the problems we see. We are giving praise as well. The only difference I see right now from last year is we have a homerun threat at qb on the ground which should compliment our "defense wins games" mentality better than last season BUT the one problem is the fumbles! The turnovers will kill us faster than all the 3 and outs. Can't play field position with turnovers. These have got to stop. If Martinez puts that ball on the turf even twice (recovers or loses) in Seattle I wouldn't be surprised if Bo pulls him.

• Fire 1

The kids read these stupid message boards. You would think they could read one that saw the positives as we are their fans.

Our female dogging (complaining, makes little difference) a waste of time actually.

The staff will make the corrections, if they don't the disatisfaction goes directly to The Head Coach. Who on here is willing to tell him he sucks at what he is doing. Yea about the number I thought.

We are trying to get game breakers the touches early so they have experience in the big games where we will need them.

Tougher competition, we would not be seeing some of the stuff we are trying. Last year we were to predictable, they change that and we complain about that.

Next week we will see what of what we have. This team has turned around from where it was three years ago and strides are still being made. I think we are doing just fine and look forward to next week, sometime back I dreaded the thought of what would happen the next week, I love the aggresiveness we are showing on offense.

• Fire 1

As far as the defense goes, you really can't ask for a better performance. One of the Idaho TD's was off a stupid play by Martinez, and you can't expect the D to shut down a team when they start in the Red Zone. The other was against Ciante Evans, a true freshman in garbage time. Our D, especially our secondary, is very, very good.

As far as our offense, I think we also have to consider that we tried wrinkles and plays tonight that we probably wouldn't try during a game like Washington, K-State, or Texas. Martinez made a few mistakes that hopefully he will learn from and cut down on. What concerns me most is the recurring penalties and the fumbles. If we could play mistake-free football with the defense we have we could win every game this year. Let's hope that the players get their sh#t together for Washington and for Big 12 play.

The kids read these stupid message boards. You would think they could read one that saw the positives as we are their fans.

Our female dogging (complaining, makes little difference) a waste of time actually.

The staff will make the corrections, if they don't the disatisfaction goes directly to The Head Coach. Who on here is willing to tell him he sucks at what he is doing. Yea about the number I thought.

We are trying to get game breakers the touches early so they have experience in the big games where we will need them.

Tougher competition, we would not be seeing some of the stuff we are trying. Last year we were to predictable, they change that and we complain about that.

Next week we will see what of what we have. This team has turned around from where it was three years ago and strides are still being made. I think we are doing just fine and look forward to next week, sometime back I dreaded the thought of what would happen the next week, I love the aggresiveness we are showing on offense.

I believe we were pretty positive last week about the offense. This week the defense gets the love. Seriously I think Bo probably influences them more than our little message board.

Putting a fumbling machine at qb like Paul.....well, that's vintage SW.

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

Never been much of a Watson fan, but I will say we seem to be trying to focus on the shotgun read play more than anything else this year, so maybe we will become a master of something for once.

Don't you hate how Shawn Watson calls plays specifically designed for his freshman quarterback and senior wide receiver to fumble?

Good lord, guys. You should be grateful for this offense. It will get harder as the competition gets tougher and Martinez is not going to survive every mistake he's going to make. But if you don't see the difference in what Martinez and two healthy running back bring over last season's offensive parts, what's the point in being a fan?

And the Watson haters - who often mischaracterized him as pass-happy last season - may want to notice that we rushed often and at will, with EVERYONE averaging over 8 yards a carry.

If you want to look up the most fumble happy team in Husker history it was the Eric Crouch led Frank Solich team that went 12 - 1 (IIRC)

No. It was 1999 when the Huskers led the nation in lost fumbles, but ended up 12 - 1 and ranked #2/#3 in the polls.

Here's the line on our third game of the season that year. Just in case you want a context for ugly:

Summary

1 2 3 4 F

- - - - --

Southern Miss 7 0 6 0 13

Nebraska 6 6 8 0 20

Nebr-Jackson 16 fumble return (kick failed)

USM-T Pinkston 8 pass from Kelly (B Hanna kick)

Nebr-W Miller 8 run (two-point conv. failed)

USM-Gideon 5 pass from Kelly

(two-point conv. failed)

Nebr-Jackson 28 interception return

(Alexander run for 2-pt conv.)

Southern Miss Nebraska

First downs 15 8

Rushed-yards 34-25 41-119

Passing yards 268 66

Sacked-yards lost 5-45 1-2

Return yards 50 118

Passes 23-45-4 6-10-2

Punts 8-44.0 8-49.8

Fumbles-lost 2-2 5-3

Penalties-yards 5-24 9-62

Time of possession 32:19 27:41

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

The bolded part is uncalled for. He is a freshman QB, excited, inexperienced, and raw. What do you expect from the kid?

The rest of you're post i agree with but don't pass that kind of judgment on the kid yet. This is only his second game EVER. This isn't anything like the Zac Lee and Cody Green fiasco of last year.

Yes, putting Paul at QB.... what about the 4 times that your boy Martinez is down for putting the ball on the turf?

We're talking about "your" boy SW putting Niles at qb. Please enlighten me how great that was.

Hmm, a little testy when you get called out, eh?

First off, Watson is not "my boy"... I have never been a major supporter or major hater of Watson, so no idea where you pulled that one out from.... As far as justifying putting Niles there, zoogies summed it up pretty damn well. We were up 31-3. We wanted to throw something out there and see how it works, give something else for opponents to have to game plan against, whatever it was. BUT, saying that Niles is not one of the best athletes on this team is a joke. If he holds on to the ball, he can be downright lethal. There is no reason for anyone to apologize for trying something new at game speed in a game that we have won.

Now, same question. If you're going to attack Niles, be ready to defend the guy you've done nothing but praise.

The bolded part is uncalled for. He is a freshman QB, excited, inexperienced, and raw. What do you expect from the kid?

The rest of you're post i agree with but don't pass that kind of judgment on the kid yet. This is only his second game EVER. This isn't anything like the Zac Lee and Cody Green fiasco of last year.

I think he was saying no one was surprised when Paul fumbled after being put in the wildcat.