I dont believe the washington game will tell us that much..

Thanks for not flaming the new guy. I was a student the last time the Huskers came to town, and the Husker fans are some of the classiest traveling fans I've seen. In Fact, I have an aerial shot of the game (the first night game at husky stadium) on my office wall. And I agree you guys have awesome secondary. I think this is going to be a great Husker D against a great UW O, And a mediocre Washington D against a Mediocre Husker O. It's going to be low scoring. In the end, I'm afraid the Huskers will just be too physical for my dawgs.

The Husky Oline is a question Mark. They looked much better last week against Cuse. Not too deep, and starting a couple of true Freshmen. I don't see though, how you just rush the D linemen. Locker is way too fast for a d lineman. The guy really is a freak of nature. I've never seen anything like him. We got off to a slow start at BYU and the special teams miscues kept in is poor field position all night. That was really a game that got away. I'm not saying you guys need to panic, but maybe a little healthy respect.

1997 Brock Huard. That game got out of hand in a hurry with Scott Frost running through the Husky defense. It was 14-0 NU before Husky fans had warmed their seats. If you guys thought Frost was fast, wait until you see Snuffy on a few zone reads. I predict he breaks 2 long runs similar to Frost. A young O-line really plays into Nebraska's hands. How can a QB be effective if the O-line cannot stop Nebraska's front 4? Both teams have serious question marks and we have nothing but respect for Washington. It's going to be a great and exciting game. IF we win, it will be a great win on the road in a hostile environment with a Freshman QB. Trust me, there are plenty of Nebraska fans who are nervous about this game.

I cant wait to watch this game on TV, and im not one to talk trash, but Ne will win easy. Ive said it in every thread ive posted in. Nebraska is just a bigger better stronger team. Ill swallow my words if thats not the case this weekend, but i think Ne wins easy. Im glad we played sloppy against Idaho, gives Bo something to freak out about all week and the players more hunger to improve this week. I know its a hostile crowd, but as soon as we are up 14-0, they wont be to hostile. take the crowd out of the game early, done deal...

It is way too early to tell much of anything. If NU wins convincingly, then it will look good for us. If not, then we still have to wait for a few weeks to see how things shake down. I hope we win easily, if not, then we have questions.

That being said, I really have no idea what's going to happen. We looked similar last year early, and we know how things worked out. And I have no idea how good UW is. Locker is very, very good and will test our D. It's going to be interesting.

The thing I keep coming back to about this game is this: Last year we played two embarrassingly weak warmup games before playing VA Tech in Blacksburg. The Hokies had come off two games, one win and one loss, and had scored 52 and 24 points, respectively. The 24 points they scored were against the eventual national champs.

We started a defense still coming into their own and an offense featuring a QB making only his third ever Div1A start. Despite that, we damned near won the game with an offense nearly bereft of QB play, but featuring a heavy does of Roy Helu, who ran all the heck over a very good Hokies defense.

This year we played two embarrassingly weak warmup games before traveling to a far less hostile environment in Seattle, to play a far worse opponent than VA Tech, with a FAR worse defense than VA Tech, and with a healthy QB who can score from anywhere on the field if you don't bottle him up. We don't pass as well overall right now as we did this time last year, but we can run it with far more skill.

As upsetting as I've found our O Line play to be so far, we still have more depth on the line and more experience. We have better overall skill players on the field, with Paul, Kinnie and McNeill on the outside and TMart, Helu, Burkhead and Reed/Young/Cotton inside.

I think we'll have zero problem scoring more than 15 points in this year's first road game, and I think we'll have very little problem – barring unforeseen ridiculousness – holding Washington under 20 points.

The thing I keep coming back to about this game is this: Last year we played two embarrassingly weak warmup games before playing VA Tech in Blacksburg. The Hokies had come off two games, one win and one loss, and had scored 52 and 24 points, respectively. The 24 points they scored were against the eventual national champs.

We started a defense still coming into their own and an offense featuring a QB making only his third ever Div1A start. Despite that, we damned near won the game with an offense nearly bereft of QB play, but featuring a heavy does of Roy Helu, who ran all the heck over a very good Hokies defense.

This year we played two embarrassingly weak warmup games before traveling to a far less hostile environment in Seattle, to play a far worse opponent than VA Tech, with a FAR worse defense than VA Tech, and with a healthy QB who can score from anywhere on the field if you don't bottle him up. We don't pass as well overall right now as we did this time last year, but we can run it with far more skill.

As upsetting as I've found our O Line play to be so far, we still have more depth on the line and more experience. We have better overall skill players on the field, with Paul, Kinnie and McNeill on the outside and TMart, Helu, Burkhead and Reed/Young/Cotton inside.

I think we'll have zero problem scoring more than 15 points in this year's first road game, and I think we'll have very little problem – barring unforeseen ridiculousness – holding Washington under 20 points.

i think Lee is definitely the better overall passer, but am i the only one impressed with how well t-mart can throw short passes (outs, slants, and posts)?

i think Lee is definitely the better overall passer, but am i the only one impressed with how well t-mart can throw short passes (outs, slants, and posts)?

I may be alone here, but I don't care if Taylor can throw more than 20 yards down the field or not. We're morphing into a running team, and we seemed to do pretty well without any kind of passing offense for the majority of the past 50 years.

Our O Line needs to improve, but if they do, let people put eight in the box against us. They're going to have to in order to stop Martinez/Helu/Legate.

On top of that, if they stack the box it'll open up one of my favorite all-time plays - the fake option/zone-read pass to the TE streaking down the seam.

I may be alone here, but I don't care if Taylor can throw more than 20 yards down the field or not. We're morphing into a running team, and we seemed to do pretty well without any kind of passing offense for the majority of the past 50 years.

Our O Line needs to improve, but if they do, let people put eight in the box against us. They're going to have to in order to stop Martinez/Helu/Legate.

On top of that, if they stack the box it'll open up one of my favorite all-time plays - the fake option/zone-read pass to the TE streaking down the seam.

I think we should rely more on the play action pass. Give defenses a dose of Helu, Burkhead, and Martinez on the zone read. Spring in a play action pass and hope Martinez doesn't throw it in the dirt.

Since we haven't played this game yet, there is the question of the unknown. That's why we play the game. Your QB may have a great game or a rough one. Your offense may get over 400 yards or under 200. That's why we play the game.

But from past experiences, you appear to have the type of offense that Pelini likes to defend the most against. An offense -- and I certainly could be wrong about this since I haven't seen your team play -- that I doubt is very physical ... this plays into Pelini's hands.

While we haven't really been tested yet on offense and there are still plenty of unknowns ... oh by the way, did I tell that's why we play the game ... we have perhaps one of the most dangerous running QBs in the country. Watch out of number 3! Very often when he runs you will have only one or two defenders to tackle him or he is gone. That's not a joke ... he's that fast and explosive. I like to think of him as a Corvette going from 0 to 60.

If Washington is successful on offense against us, I will have to rethink this. But as of now, I'm more worried what a punishing, physical running attack, with a running QB like T Tayor, could do against us rather than a passing spread offense. So that's my take.

I put this in another thread, but I believe Nebraska's Special Teams will have a big game. NU is currently ranked 9th in Punt Returns and 18th in Kick-Off Returns. Washington's Punt and Kick-Off Return Defenses are ranked in the 90's allowing an average of 15yds and 25yds respectively. This could be a game where we see Niles (or even Marlowe) return one for a TD.

I put this in another thread, but I believe Nebraska's Special Teams will have a big game. NU is currently ranked 9th in Punt Returns and 18th in Kick-Off Returns. Washington's Punt and Kick-Off Return Defenses are ranked in the 90's allowing an average of 15yds and 25yds respectively. This could be a game where we see Niles (or even Marlowe) return one for a TD.

Yep. I've posted the averages in another thread. Syracuse gashed them a couple of times on kick returns.

Yep. I've posted the averages in another thread. Syracuse gashed them a couple of times on kick returns.

I hadn't seen your post (I don't read all the threads :LOLtartar )

This game depends on how many picks Martinez throws. If he keeps the picks to 1, we win this easy. You guys do not have the caliber of players needed to stop an improved running game that was enough to move the ball solidly on a much better VTech front 7. Between our two workhorse backs (because we don't need to get 10-yard runs to win this) and our big-play threat in the QB... Watch out. We are confident simply because our strengths nullify your strengths much better than our weak passing game will affect the outcome. We've got lock-down DBs and great penetration plus a blitz wizard in Pelini. Overall, you could beat a team ranked as high as us, just not one with our makeup. I'd say you'd fare much better against the Oregons of the world than the Nebraskas.