Dear Negative Nellies

macroboy

EDIT - there's a play I've been waiting to see with this team, by the way. We used to run it all the time in the 90s, but we haven't run it for a while. Can anyone guess what it is?

The option pass? Come to think of it, I haven't seen us run very many option plays except for the zone read. Maybe we'll see more of that in conference play so we'll be able to set up the option pass play.

I'm amazed how many think TO's offense did not use vertical passing. That was almost the entire passing offense!!! Other than screens, how many passes were less than 15 yards? The entire reason that developing a vertical threat in the current offense concerns me is because of what TO did throughout his career. Vertical passing complements a running attack because it attacks down the field away from where the defense needs to be to stop the running game. And the reason we didn't need a good passing QB was because the play-action usually left the deep receivers so wide open. How many times did Tommie Frazier just heave that ball down the field and let Cory Dixon just go get it? Defensive coaches were always talking about how hard it was to defend NU's passing game because the TE and WR would be blocking for 7 or 8 plays and then suddenly be running free behind the defense.

Case in point: 1995 Frazier passing stats

PASSING G/GS Att. Comp. Pct. Yds. Att. Game Int. Int% LP TD TD% Rating

Frazier, T. 11/11 163 92 .564 1,362 8.4 123.8 4 .024 *76 17 .104 156.14

That's 14.8 yards per completion!

EDIT - there's a play I've been waiting to see with this team, by the way. We used to run it all the time in the 90s, but we haven't run it for a while. Can anyone guess what it is?

The option pass? Come to think of it, I haven't seen us run very many option plays except for the zone read. Maybe we'll see more of that in conference play so we'll be able to set up the option pass play.

Correct. We ran it once or twice last year. And, FYI, back in the 90's, it WAS about 1/3 of our vertical passing game. It kept defenses reasonably honest.

I'm amazed how many think TO's offense did not use vertical passing.

We're not saying we did NOT use a vertical passing game. We're saying we didn't use it MUCH. Big difference there.

I see what you're saying. Here's the numbers for 1995:

627 Rushes - 228 Passes

That's a run/pass ratio of 73%/27%. So passing was roughly a quarter of the offense. I have no idea how to break that into short/medium/long passes because I don't think the info is available. Not sure this means anything, but there's the stats.

Bottom line is I think we'll need a vertical passing game against at least a few teams this year; otherwise somebody is going to be able to bring the defense up tight to the LOS and make the running game and short passing game very difficult to operate. And until we see Martinez throw some deep balls, we won't know if he's capable or not.

I'm amazed how many think TO's offense did not use vertical passing.

We're not saying we did NOT use a vertical passing game. We're saying we didn't use it MUCH. Big difference there.

And we are saying that if this team doesn't develop, or at least eventually demonstrate the ability to complete a pass longer than 20 yards as we get into tougher competition, then our championship (be it Big XII, let alone National Championship) hopes are diminished. I would wager that a couple of the defenses that we will face have the speed that it takes to stop or significantly slow down this offense, unless it shows some new wrinkles.

I'm not saying that we need to become the 2007 New England Patriots. I'm saying that we would likely significantly benefit from developing a legitimate long ball threat that good defenses will have to account for. Furthermore, we have a couple WRs that would excel in that role. I think we should use them.

And I remember those heaves from Frazier producing some huge yards at very opportune moments. The forward pass was just another piece of the puzzle. And like RedDenver said, when we threw, we freaking went for it. That kind of play can break a game wide open. I guarantee you that we see an occasion for that this year, and I hope that they are prepared.

Please inform me what was so terrible about his passing game?

Nothing. I'm just pointing out that capt obvious sees the vertical passing game as a concern and you provide no evidence or commentary to dispute that.

What??? I posted his passing stats for today. What more do you need???

How many of those throws were over 20 yards? That's what I'd call a vertical passing game. His straight passing numbers don't address that.

I didnt even watch the game, and I know that he completed a 40+ yard pass to Brandon Kinnie and a 24 yard TD pass to Mike McNeil. 2/7 is over 25%. Does that answer your question?

Both actual throws were only 10-15 yards. The rest of the yardage was YAC. Watch the game before you speak. lol.

I'll agree that we will need a vertical passing game to compete with the likes of UT/OSU/etc. The only concern i have is the lack of the long ball so far this year. Granted I'm sure there's still a lot that hasn't been shown, I just hope it's there.

A 40 yard play that comes from 25 yards of YAC and a 40 yard play that comes from 5 yards of YAC is a 40 yard play right? A vertical passing game is one that can stretch the field and make big plays. Jerry Rice rarely made receptions 50 yards from scrimmage but he's the biggest vertical game receiver in the history of the game.

Please inform me what was so terrible about his passing game?

Nothing. I'm just pointing out that capt obvious sees the vertical passing game as a concern and you provide no evidence or commentary to dispute that.

What??? I posted his passing stats for today. What more do you need???

How many of those throws were over 20 yards? That's what I'd call a vertical passing game. His straight passing numbers don't address that.

I didnt even watch the game, and I know that he completed a 40+ yard pass to Brandon Kinnie and a 24 yard TD pass to Mike McNeil. 2/7 is over 25%. Does that answer your question?

Both actual throws were only 10-15 yards. The rest of the yardage was YAC. Watch the game before you speak. lol.

I'll agree that we will need a vertical passing game to compete with the likes of UT/OSU/etc. The only concern i have is the lack of the long ball so far this year. Granted I'm sure there's still a lot that hasn't been shown, I just hope it's there.

A 40 yard play that comes from 25 yards of YAC and a 40 yard play that comes from 5 yards of YAC is a 40 yard play right? A vertical passing game is one that can stretch the field and make big plays. Jerry Rice rarely made receptions 50 yards from scrimmage but he's the biggest vertical game receiver in the history of the game.

I'll preface this by saying Im definitely NOT a negative nelly...I've been blown away by the team so far this year...but here goes-

Defensively, we are fine. Bo and Carl have proven that they can out-coach and and out-scheme anyone in the country as long as the players execute, and player execution has been outstanding for the last, well...year and a half (even momentary defensive lapses last year would have been nullified by a reasonable offensive output). I'm happy giving up 170 rushing yards if we can hold passing yds under 100...

Offensively - Believe it or not, I have some concern here. We're setting the world on fire right now running a Shotgun Zone Read look as our base offense. Its awesome, and I'm as big of a Martinez fan as you'll find (I even have a "T-Mart" shirt!), but i have some concern schematically given Watson's propensity for the ill-timed boneheaded play call. Once we see a stout defense (see: Texass), their athleticism is going to nullify the big play. I highly doubt youre going to see T-mart/Helu/Burkhead bust a 50 yarder on a D of that caliber. So, what do you supplement it with? My hope is that we're setting up some play action off the zone play thats been so successful up to this point. I dont think deep balls are necessarily the answer like some have suggested, but some degree of respect for the passing game needs to be established. I just don't see us running the zone play at will against those guys. Hopefully we can still run it up Kstates gut and can save those looks for Oct 16.

I'll preface this by saying Im definitely NOT a negative nelly...I've been blown away by the team so far this year...but here goes-

Defensively, we are fine. Bo and Carl have proven that they can out-coach and and out-scheme anyone in the country as long as the players execute, and player execution has been outstanding for the last, well...year and a half (even momentary defensive lapses last year would have been nullified by a reasonable offensive output). I'm happy giving up 170 rushing yards if we can hold passing yds under 100...

Offensively - Believe it or not, I have some concern here. We're setting the world on fire right now running a Shotgun Zone Read look as our base offense. Its awesome, and I'm as big of a Martinez fan as you'll find (I even have a "T-Mart" shirt!), but i have some concern schematically given Watson's propensity for the ill-timed boneheaded play call. Once we see a stout defense (see: Texass), their athleticism is going to nullify the big play. I highly doubt youre going to see T-mart/Helu/Burkhead bust a 50 yarder on a D of that caliber. So, what do you supplement it with? My hope is that we're setting up some play action off the zone play thats been so successful up to this point. I dont think deep balls are necessarily the answer like some have suggested, but some degree of respect for the passing game needs to be established. I just don't see us running the zone play at will against those guys. Hopefully we can still run it up Kstates gut and can save those looks for Oct 16.