McNeil vs. Martinez?

huskerguy

from the OWH

Stopping themselves

Intentional or not, Mike McNeill got his payback.

The senior receiver laid a shoulder into quarterback Taylor Martinez late in the game Saturday, actually knocking the redshirt freshman to the turf and ending a 15-yard run.

Had McNeill and Martinez not collided, the play would have certainly resulted in more than just 15 yards. Martinez might have scored if it wasn't for McNeill.

Reverse roles and rewind back to last week against Idaho. Martinez missed a wide-open McNeill on a first-quarter pass play that might have resulted in a touchdown.

McNeill smiled at the suggestion that he was seeking revenge.

Martinez certainly thought he was going to score, though.

“He just said, ‘That was a touchdown,'” McNeill said. “But he ran into me, as far as I'm concerned.”

Honestly I hope nothing like that would happen on purpose, I have noticed McNeil has said some back handed comments towards Taylor even before Taylor missed him on that open pass play.

I seriously, honestly, in the deepest part of my heart, hope you are not actually thinking he might have done this on purpose.

I just watched the coaches show and Bo laughed and said Mcneil came off and said asked him if he could go in at linebacker after that nice of a tackle.

Ya that was hilarious, I saw that too. It was def. an accident. No question about it. McNeill was going to block their safety when Martinez tried to split the linebacker and safety. Just bad timing.

I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, but I do wonder if those two aren't the fondest of each other. Mcneill has reacted very animatedly (is that a word?) at the two underthrown balls to him this year, seems outside his character.

I am thinking that Mike's reaction in the Idaho game was more to the fact that the coaches put in that play to specifically try to get him more involved in the offense and the pass was just missed. Me thinks Mike was hoping the move to the adjuster receiver would bring more opportunities to catch the ball in the passing game, and that hasn't really taken off yet. Also if you could have strolled into the endzone untouched from about 60 yards out wouldn't you be a little frustrated that a prime chance had been missed.