Big 12 Conference will suffer with 10 teams

I just dont see the Big 10 or SEC going to 16 teams.

I don't agree. The Pac-10 was one "yes" from Texas away from becoming a 16-team conference just four months ago. These expansion talks are entirely driven by money, and the money involved in college football is only going to increase. I don't see expansion being done, not by a long shot.

Missouri wants to leave the Big 12 and has been very public about it. Texas A&M was adamant that they get paid in full what they have been promised or they're walking - and it doesn't look like they're going to get the money they were promised. If the TV contract that's allegedly going to be renegotiated with FOX next year either isn't renegotiated (it currently runs through 2012) or the proposal is less than expected (and I can't imagine it will be what Beebe thinks it'll be), you're going to have major unrest from every Big 12 school. Suddenly to continue relevance they're going to have to expand - or they're going to have to disband and seek their separate fortunes in other conferences.

The Big 10 has already expressed interest in Texas. Heck, EVERY conference wants the money Texas brings. If the Big 12 poaches schools from some other conference (like C-USA or more likely the MWC or MAC), the remaining schools in those conferences will start to look around to replace losses or disband.

There are about a dozen scenarios where we can see the dominoes start to fall. Any one of them could be the trigger that leads to Armageddon.

What TV network is going to be foolish enough to renegotiate a contract with the remainder of the Big 12 before seeing what kind of eyeballs they're attracting to the TV? If Fox or ESPN or ABC give the Big 12-2 a contract between the end of this season and the beginning of next they're absolute morons.

If they're doing any kind of responsible due diligence they'll let next year play out, see what ratings they get, and negotiate based on that.

let the dead, bury the dead. nebraska is moving on to greener pastures. OU ad texas know they could have prevented this. i know its been mentioned several times before on this board, but a huge impact of us leaving the conference is the economic impact we have on a lot of those small college towns we come to every other year. adding a BYU or TCU to the mix isn't going to cut it.

I don't agree. The Pac-10 was one "yes" from Texas away from becoming a 16-team conference just four months ago. These expansion talks are entirely driven by money, and the money involved in college football is only going to increase. I don't see expansion being done, not by a long shot.

Missouri wants to leave the Big 12 and has been very public about it. Texas A&M was adamant that they get paid in full what they have been promised or they're walking - and it doesn't look like they're going to get the money they were promised. If the TV contract that's allegedly going to be renegotiated with FOX next year either isn't renegotiated (it currently runs through 2012) or the proposal is less than expected (and I can't imagine it will be what Beebe thinks it'll be), you're going to have major unrest from every Big 12 school. Suddenly to continue relevance they're going to have to expand - or they're going to have to disband and seek their separate fortunes in other conferences.

The Big 10 has already expressed interest in Texas. Heck, EVERY conference wants the money Texas brings. If the Big 12 poaches schools from some other conference (like C-USA or more likely the MWC or MAC), the remaining schools in those conferences will start to look around to replace losses or disband.

There are about a dozen scenarios where we can see the dominoes start to fall. Any one of them could be the trigger that leads to Armageddon.

Couldn't agree more. There are way too many scenario's that will cause the demise. A&M not getting their money and going to the SEC is a definite possibility unless UT and OU succumb and give up even more - which in turn pushes them to consider the PAC 10 again.

I also wouldn't rule out Missouri getting an invite down the road from the Big 10. I know they don't bring what some Big East schools might BUT their location and their outright proclamations to the Big 10 that they would accept certainly can't be overlooked by the Big 10. Honestly I would love this scenario because I would love to continue to see the Huskers pound them Tigers every year! :P

That is a huge point. We are walking around like we are something special because we are in the B10 now. We got lucky, lucky to have a football team with a great national following, on the comeback, and lucky to have TO and Harv reading the tea leaves. If this happened in 2007 we get left in the dust.

Don't think for a second if Texas calls the B10 after this season and says they want in, that they would be turned down (assuming they conform to the B10 standards) The B10 pretty much started all of this talk of 16 teams. As far as I know they have not backed down from that, nor have they said there might not be more soon. NU forced there hand, we though we needed to bail from a sinking ship and we got lucky to find a nice one to jump on.

Its a big risk going to 16. There are many aspects to a 16 team conference that cant be predicted, mostly the scheduling. I know everyone wants TX and all the money that comes with them. I just think the Big 10 or SEC dont want to ruin what they have by going to 16. The PAC 10 was just desperate to get into more time zones.

So what do you envision happening if the Pac-10/Pac-12 expands again in another year? I see other conferences feeling forced to follow suit. You may be right about the SEC not wanting to spoil their good deal, but they showed this summer that they were ready to start gobbling up teams if another conference expanded beyond 12.

That is a huge point. We are walking around like we are something special because we are in the B10 now. We got lucky, lucky to have a football team with a great national following, on the comeback, and lucky to have TO and Harv reading the tea leaves. If this happened in 2007 we get left in the dust.

Don't think for a second if Texas calls the B10 after this season and says they want in, that they would be turned down (assuming they conform to the B10 standards) The B10 pretty much started all of this talk of 16 teams. As far as I know they have not backed down from that, nor have they said there might not be more soon. NU forced there hand, we though we needed to bail from a sinking ship and we got lucky to find a nice one to jump on.

That's one HUGE, HUGE assumption. Texass will almost certainly demand several things her way as the obnoxious hottie that she knows she is. But I really, really doubt the Big10 will bow down.

Maybe the Pac10 won't (this time) either. If so.....she's out of luck.

That's one HUGE, HUGE assumption. Texass will almost certainly demand several things her way as the obnoxious hottie that she knows she is. But I really, really doubt the Big10 will bow down.

I think you're likely correct that the Big 10 won't take Texas. I had forgotten Jim Delaney's words back in June when they announced Nebraska's acceptance. It seemed very pointedly directed at Texas, and not in a good way.

But that certainly doesn't preclude the SEC or the Pac-10/12 from going after Texas. I think both would in a heartbeat.

I think you're likely correct that the Big 10 won't take Texas. I had forgotten Jim Delaney's words back in June when they announced Nebraska's acceptance. It seemed very pointedly directed at Texas, and not in a good way.

But that certainly doesn't preclude the SEC or the Pac-10/12 from going after Texas. I think both would in a heartbeat.

Are you kidding?

Texass would die a horrible death in a thousand ways if they "degraded" themselves into joining the SEC. lol!! Almost as bad, but still VERY bad, they would be opening Texas to SEC recuiting. "Zero" chance of that happening my friend.

The Pac10 is their only shot and I don't imagine they were thrilled at the last second jilt a couple months ago. Considering geographics with the economy/peak oil/etc daily working against them time is not on their side.

Are you kidding?

Texass would die a horrible death in a thousand ways if they "degraded" themselves into joining the SEC. lol!! Almost as bad, but still VERY bad, they would be opening Texas to SEC recuiting. "Zero" chance of that happening my friend.

The Pac10 is their only shot and I don't imagine they were thrilled at the last second jilt a couple months ago. Considering geographics with the economy/peak oil/etc daily working against them time is not on their side.

I'm not kidding in the least. And Texas isn't "closed" to SEC recruiting any more than New Jersey or Florida are closed to Nebraska recruiting. This idea of "you can't recruit outside your conference" is an obvious fallacy to Husker fans.

Texas will go where the money is. They've proven this time and time again. If they're going to make more money as an independent, they'll go independent. The SEC can offer Texas (or Oklahoma, or A&M) a lot of money, lots of TV time, and lots of prestige. Texas was already in talks with the Pac-10 and Big 10, so they didn't seem too concerned with opening their doors, so to speak, to recruiting from those conferences. If Texas is in play you can bet the SEC will be making an offer, and you can bet Texas will be listening. There's just too much money on the table for people to worry about geography.

What TV network is going to be foolish enough to renegotiate a contract with the remainder of the Big 12 before seeing what kind of eyeballs they're attracting to the TV? If Fox or ESPN or ABC give the Big 12-2 a contract between the end of this season and the beginning of next they're absolute morons.

If they're doing any kind of responsible due diligence they'll let next year play out, see what ratings they get, and negotiate based on that.

Actually I think it makes sense to renegotiate. If these 16 team conferences occur they are going to want huge TV deals so it would make more sense to pay the Big 12 a little more to keep it viable then have to fork up huge dollars to get TV deals with the super-conferences.