Lee Speaks

Which sandwich shop, if you don't mind? I was at Oso burrito and saw him jogging by not too long ago. Some lady tried to like half wave at him as though she knew she should be embarrassed and Bo just gave her a nod.

I was at Jimmy John's and he came down 14th from campus then turned west down O.

I saw him today, too, while going to class. I was on 14th and Vine going to Oldfather Hall and I'm pretty sure I saw him when he was just starting (he was walking and then looked at his watch and then started jogging).

Bo always looks like he's just starting. When he looked at his watch he was simply daring it to tick.

:corndance

Isn't this a Nebraska forum? Is there a fan base in America whose fans should care less about having to pass to win? We won three MNC's in the past 15 years with teams that could barely throw a forward pass. Knocking Martinez because he can't pass is like knocking Osborne because he wasn't Chinese. It's irrelevant to winning football games.

Hey bshirt, there's nothing wrong with a guy who is a home run threat at QB. Home run threats typically aren't QBs though. That's why CJ Spiller or say, Niles Paul, would not be QBs in our offense. There has to be a lot more going on between the ears for the guy to be a QB. Taylor has a long, long way to go in that department. I don't consider the running ability to be more than that, because we saw Taylor post some big plays and a flashy run against SDSU, and how far did that go in keying the offense?

No, it's about a lot more than that. Taylor has to be able to make the right reads and checks and beat defenses with his head, and play 60 minutes of solid field general, because 3-4 personal highlight reel plays a game is not as important to helping the team win.

BigWillie probably said it best, that Taylor is a WR out there running at QB right now. We are going to have some major ups and downs this year and should be patient with the guy instead of constantly proclaiming him to be the second coming. He is not a damn good QB, or even much of a QB. However, he does have tremendous athleticism and if he develops, could really help us down the road.

Hey zoogies, it may not very well may not be typical but it's hardly a one in a million type thing. Have you watched Michigan play this year? Remember E. Crouch? If they're greased lightning, let them play.

Haha...we tried N. Paul at qb and.....big surprise, he fumbled.

If being a good qb is mostly "between the ears", why did last year's experienced junior qb led offense stink to high heaven? Yeah, of course a lot of that wasn't on the qb, to be sure. But a lot of it was.

Heh...old friend, I agree though Tmart has to learn his reads better and that is a real deal worry. He's got a LONG ways to go, you're right. But don't you think Bo realizes the risk/reward ratio? I think Bo really, really wants to be able to run the ball. Maybe SW doesn't but Bo does and he's the HC. It looks to me like Bo thinks fluffy offenses aren't going to hack it vs the Alabama's out there.

Once again, I agree it's a gamble. As I see it the downside really isn't that bad though. If Tmart struggles mightily and the offense tanks we're just where we were last year, right? The upside is playing for all the marbles. I'm ok with that.

Zoogies, another theory I keep hearing is that SW and/or Bo is slowing gearing our offense to a Shotgun Veer. "If" true, it's just one more reason Bo wants NU to run the ball with authority. Also, Barney better get the Oline Bo wants.

Isn't this a Nebraska forum? Is there a fan base in America whose fans should care less about having to pass to win? We won three MNC's in the past 15 years with teams that could barely throw a forward pass. Knocking Martinez because he can't pass is like knocking Osborne because he wasn't Chinese. It's irrelevant to winning football games.

It is something isn't it? 10,000 posts worrying if Tmart can throw the "long ball".

lol!

Like Crouch, Frazier, Frost, etc ever could.....all they did was "win".

The problem with this part of the conversation is Martinez can pass. He's thrown some stinkers and some amazing 3rd and 16 conversions. His passing is a metaphor for his play overall––this season we're going to take the good with the bad. One minute we'll be jumping up and down and hi-fiving as he breaks yet another fifty yard stunner; the next we'll be hanging our heads when he throws a stupid pick. All I hope is that the final tally winds up in the plus column with a BCS bowl appearance.

It is something isn't it? 10,000 posts worrying if Tmart can throw the "long ball".

lol!

YOU make some excellent points but unfortunately they don"t apply to this year and this team the guys you mention didn"t have to throw the ball because they had the best lines college football could offer

also bama probably isn"t worried about fluffy offenses but they would worry about the "fluffy" offense a whole lot more than our run first run middle and run last offense.

Good passers don't throw the balls that Tmart has thrown.

those of you that believe we can win every game without an effective passing game are well foolish.

I too am not opposed to Tmart starting but I must agree that Lee being 3rd is more than a talent issue.

I talk daily with people that attend practice regularly. they say the same Tmart can really run but he can't throw it

Tmart has the ability to break it with his legs, but he can't throw the ball. Plain and simple.

"Can't throw the ball" is a little over-the-top. Already this year he's made some pretty good throws. He's made some truly horrible throws, too. It's almost like he's a redshirt freshman in a run-centric offense or something. Weird.

Sorry that every post needs to be taken as literal. Figured you would be able to understand what "Can't throw the ball" would probably mean. Since you felt the need for that comment, I'll go ahead and draw it out.

T-Mart has an open receiver with pressure coming, what are the chances he hits that receiver? He hasn't proven he can do that yet. Sure, he's made a few solid throw, but honestly, throw a QB out there and they are going to be able to make a couple of throws out of a ton of opportunities. Given the opportunities he's had, he has missed more throws than he has missed, and before you point out that his completion percentage is over 50%, I don't mean every little pass. The little dump passes don't count. I'm talking about actually going downfield with the ball. There was a pass I think it was against SDSU where he rolled out to the right and hit McNeill coming across the field (seems this play has been our "staple" so to speak) and made a great pass there. However, the evidence still points to the fact that he can't make the throws that would be needed if we fall behind or if we are stopped from running the ball like we were against SDSU. I haven't questioned Tmart being the QB, so don't make that assumption. I understand he is a freshman QB, I understand we run the ball first, I'm pretty sure I said back after the first game that since he was the decision, people have to be patient with him and give him that time, iirc it was a response to a thread by zoogies. However, if we have to throw the ball, we have to be able to do it. We have too many pieces in place to take the Big 12 that we have to be able to do what we need if that situation arises. But freshman or senior, if he's the best quarterback, he sure as hell better be able to do it when needed. That's all.

lol!

YOU make some excellent points but unfortunately they don"t apply to this year and this team the guys you mention didn"t have to throw the ball because they had the best lines college football could offer

also bama probably isn"t worried about fluffy offenses but they would worry about the "fluffy" offense a whole lot more than our run first run middle and run last offense.

those of you that believe we can win every game without an effective passing game are well foolish.

I too am not opposed to Tmart starting but I must agree that Lee being 3rd is more than a talent issue.

I talk daily with people that attend practice regularly. they say the same Tmart can really run but he can't throw it

And you're foolish if you think that we could have any passing game whatsoever without an effective running game. We could have Peyton Manning in the backfield, but if we can't run the ball, our offense isn't going to move the ball an inch.

The whole offensive transformation is just the process of Nebraska coming back around to what Nebraska is and has been, what works for us. That's being physical, running the ball, and playing great defense. That's what won us national championships, and by the way, it's what won Florida and Alabama national championships the last few years too.

Tmart has the ability to break it with his legs, but he can't throw the ball. Plain and simple.

"Can't throw the ball" is a little over-the-top. Already this year he's made some pretty good throws. He's made some truly horrible throws, too. It's almost like he's a redshirt freshman in a run-centric offense or something. Weird.

Sorry that every post needs to be taken as literal. Figured you would be able to understand what "Can't throw the ball" would probably mean. Since you felt the need for that comment, I'll go ahead and draw it out.

T-Mart has an open receiver with pressure coming, what are the chances he hits that receiver? He hasn't proven he can do that yet. Sure, he's made a few solid throw, but honestly, throw a QB out there and they are going to be able to make a couple of throws out of a ton of opportunities. Given the opportunities he's had, he has missed more throws than he has missed, and before you point out that his completion percentage is over 50%, I don't mean every little pass. The little dump passes don't count. I'm talking about actually going downfield with the ball. There was a pass I think it was against SDSU where he rolled out to the right and hit McNeill coming across the field (seems this play has been our "staple" so to speak) and made a great pass there. However, the evidence still points to the fact that he can't make the throws that would be needed if we fall behind or if we are stopped from running the ball like we were against SDSU. I haven't questioned Tmart being the QB, so don't make that assumption. I understand he is a freshman QB, I understand we run the ball first, I'm pretty sure I said back after the first game that since he was the decision, people have to be patient with him and give him that time, iirc it was a response to a thread by zoogies. However, if we have to throw the ball, we have to be able to do it. We have too many pieces in place to take the Big 12 that we have to be able to do what we need if that situation arises. But freshman or senior, if he's the best quarterback, he sure as hell better be able to do it when needed. That's all.

So you jump on me for taking your post too literally when I was clearly joking around... then you take my post obvious joking post very literally. Bravo. :clap

So your assertion is that ONLY counting throws over 15 yards, of which Martinez has attempted perhaps ten, he has a poor percentage. Whoop-de-doo. As has been pointed out numerous times, neither Crouch nor Frazier nor any of our other run-first QBs (aside from Lord) could throw a very good long ball. Tommie made a career out of throwing "the little dump passes" to his tight end. So did Crouch, so did half the other QBs we had over our 25 straight years of nine wins.

I don't see why it's so difficult to understand that we do not play a stretch-the-field passing game. Martinez has 1,000 yards of total offense through four games. He's fourth in the nation in yards per play, among all offensive players. He's fourth in the nation in points scored, among all offensive players. He's 11th in the nation in rushing yards. And he's a redshirt freshman. Do we really, really need to raise warning flags at this point? Really?

lol!

And you're foolish if you think that we could have any passing game whatsoever without an effective running game. We could have Peyton Manning in the backfield, but if we can't run the ball, our offense isn't going to move the ball an inch.

The whole offensive transformation is just the process of Nebraska coming back around to what Nebraska is and has been, what works for us. That's being physical, running the ball, and playing great defense. That's what won us national championships, and by the way, it's what won Florida and Alabama national championships the last few years too.

have you heard of the names Helu and Burkhead? We have Running Backs (get the meaning of that word) to run the ball and they happen to be pretty damned good. don't need a QB to run to have a good running game

lol!

have you heard of the names Helu and Burkhead? We have Running Backs (get the meaning of that word) to run the ball and they happen to be pretty damned good. don't need a QB to run to have a good running game

Gee, what was TO thinking winning all those national championships with marginal throwing qbs? Seems like he had some pretty good rbs too in A. Green, L. Phillips, etc.

Yeah, TO & Bo.....what do they know?

So you jump on me for taking your post too literally when I was clearly joking around... then you take my post obvious joking post very literally. Bravo. :clap

So your assertion is that ONLY counting throws over 15 yards, of which Martinez has attempted perhaps ten, he has a poor percentage. Whoop-de-doo. As has been pointed out numerous times, neither Crouch nor Frazier nor any of our other run-first QBs (aside from Lord) could throw a very good long ball. Tommie made a career out of throwing "the little dump passes" to his tight end. So did Crouch, so did half the other QBs we had over our 25 straight years of nine wins.

I don't see why it's so difficult to understand that we do not play a stretch-the-field passing game. Martinez has 1,000 yards of total offense through four games. He's fourth in the nation in yards per play, among all offensive players. He's fourth in the nation in points scored, among all offensive players. He's 11th in the nation in rushing yards. And he's a redshirt freshman. Do we really, really need to raise warning flags at this point? Really?

Obvious joking, in what sense? Not too obvious.

Yes, he is electric. He has been great against teams that are flat out bad on defense. What is he in turnovers? How often does he put the ball on the ground? I get he's a redshirt freshman, but there are seniors on this team and other people that care about this year, not how well Taylor grows. Hell, what if he isn't even the starting QB next year and we end up losing a game or 2 we shouldn't? Obviously people are going to be all over the coaches for starting T-Mart. We'll see how it plays out down this year and in the future, but I don't think me pointing out that he can't throw the ball is going to hurt anything. Hopefully he develops.

Huskerwrkhavok stop being such a debbie downer or w/e it is that people say.

A debbie downer? How? God forbid that I'm not drinking everything saying we are going to win every game. I have every right to my opinion that you have to yours. What did i say that isn't true? That Taylor is a great runner? That he may not be the QB next year? (after all, every position is an open competition) That he can't throw the ball downfield? And still, I never said we would lose a game. I never said that we were going to get run over. So how am I being a debbie downer?