Blow to the head

Taylor

I think everyone's exaggerating that face mask... Crouch was looking straight behind him to look at the guy and his hand was just inadvertently tangled in with his mask, I mean, who expects the guy they're chasing to turn his head all the way around?! Nobody! Give him a break!

I still don't get how the refs missed that one.

A downward fist thrust onto the top of a helmet is a little different than a blow to the face that could cause serious neck injury.

So you're saying there's a greater chance of injury in a tangential blow to the side of the head rather than a straight down blow that compresses the neck? Not buying that one at all.

Yes, I am. Don't get me wrong... its illegal as Hell. But you just can't generate that much power with a down thrust.... maybe if he was standing above him on a ladder or something... then t would be way easier to cause serious injury. Think about it... you can generate way more power with a blow to the side of the head. It's science.

He got the flag.... deservedly so. Kick him out of the game? Na

I'm not saying they should kick him out of the game. I'm just saying I think you're underestimating the force a player can generate hitting a guy on the top of his head.

This.

If I'm not mistaken, most neck injuries (and the spinal injuries) that have occurred in football occurred because of neck compression, not because of a neck being hit tangential.

Having your neck compressed is far scarier to see, imho.

I think everyone's exaggerating that face mask... Crouch was looking straight behind him to look at the guy and his hand was just inadvertently tangled in with his mask, I mean, who expects the guy they're chasing to turn his head all the way around?! Nobody! Give him a break!

I still don't get how the refs missed that one.

You sort answered why people don't give the guy a break. The reason nobody can give this guy a break is because it was so blatant it's amazing that nothing was called.

I'm over it and have been over it, but you really cannot get any more obvious than that all. Arguably one of the biggest blown calls in recent football history.