Husker Locker: QB Chatter

zoogs

One reason I don't give Watson a lot of heat anymore is because I have read plenty of articles from years past criticizing Osborne for these same things: refusing to not run the ball late in a game when down.

I also realize that if a play works, everyone loves you. If it doesn't, everyone is upset about it. It's time to change coordinators (offensive or defensive) when a serious lack of execution is recurring (a la 2007). Right now, Watson does just enough to keep his job and has full confidence from Bo. He's not going anywhere unless he gets offered a job to head coach somewhere semi-respectable.

As far as Martinez is concerned, I expected as much from him. I'm sure he'll be fine. Sometimes you just have to sit back and take everything in.

One reason I don't give Watson a lot of heat anymore is because I have read plenty of articles from years past criticizing Osborne for these same things: refusing to not run the ball late in a game when down.

I also realize that if a play works, everyone loves you. If it doesn't, everyone is upset about it. It's time to change coordinators (offensive or defensive) when a serious lack of execution is recurring (a la 2007). Right now, Watson does just enough to keep his job and has full confidence from Bo. He's not going anywhere unless he gets offered a job to head coach somewhere semi-respectable.

As far as Martinez is concerned, I expected as much from him. I'm sure he'll be fine. Sometimes you just have to sit back and take everything in.

Bingo.....Saturday was pretty tough to watch the offense though. Really wished we would have thrown more on 1st and 2nd down when they KNEW we were going to run.

Bingo.....Saturday was pretty tough to watch the offense though. Really wished we would have thrown more on 1st and 2nd down when they KNEW we were going to run.

A team knowing you're going to run isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, it IS bad thing when teams know you're going to run and they keep shutting you down. It also becomes a problem when you run the same play on first down over and over again. Many drives on Saturday started with a zone-read. I don't care if that's something the staff considers their "bread and butter" or not. Just because it's your bread and butter doesn't mean you have to run it the first play of multiple drives.

It doesn't matter when you pass the ball if nobody wants to catch it.

Why did Watson stick with the running game as the clock burned and NU still trailed?

"Because that's what we do," Watson said. "And because (Lee) has done a good job of getting better at it."

:facepalm:

The only reason Zac Lee ran for positive yards at all is because (NEWS FLASH) Texas wasn't selling out to the run at this point. They were fully expecting NU to pass once Lee came into the ball game.

Watson's logic is ass backwards...

Why did Watson stick with the running game as the clock burned and NU still trailed?

"Because that's what we do," Watson said. "And because (Lee) has done a good job of getting better at it."

The only reason Zac Lee ran for positive yards at all is because (NEWS FLASH) Texas wasn't selling out to the run at this point. They were fully expecting NU to pass once Lee came into the ball game.

could be, but I also heard that we could have gained more yards with Martinez, but he would make the wrong read. Lee was making the right read, but he only had the ability to get 3 or 4 years, where if Martinez were making the right read, it would have went for 7 or 8.

Either way, I wish we would have lined up in the I and hit them right in the mouth. That and play action passing. I was not impressed with tu's secondary at all. We had WR's open, but we could not make the play.

could be, but I also heard that we could have gained more yards with Martinez, but he would make the wrong read. Lee was making the right read, but he only had the ability to get 3 or 4 years, where if Martinez were making the right read, it would have went for 7 or 8.

Either way, I wish we would have lined up in the I and hit them right in the mouth. That and play action passing. I was not impressed with tu's secondary at all. We had WR's open, but we could not make the play.

I think it was a combination of both. UT was expecting more pass which opened the run lanes a little bit, couple that with the fact Lee made better reads and he was able to get more positive yardage. Had we had recievers that could catch Lee would have never been on the field because the D would have softened up leaving more running lanes for Zenitram.

Even had Martinez made the correct reads, he wasn't going anywhere. When he was in the game, making the right read was the difference between a 3-yard loss and a 1-yard gain. Texas was bringing 8 or 9 guys to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs, the only way to beat them was to pass, and we dropped the ball.

Even had Martinez made the correct reads, he wasn't going anywhere. When he was in the game, making the right read was the difference between a 3-yard loss and a 1-yard gain. Texas was bringing 8 or 9 guys to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs, the only way to beat them was to pass, and we dropped the ball.

:nutz

:yeah

I am not sure the pistol formation did Martinez any favors in trying to make the right reads. That close to the line of scrimmage you better be quick!!

Just like the only reason Taylor can gain consistent through the air is because teams have to sell out to stop the run. And the only reason Gilbert ran over us is because we didn't expect him to. Works both ways...

Hercules, I don't think you're crediting Taylor's athleticism enough there. It's been a while since I saw the game, but I definitely think he could have made hay with the right reads. 3-4 yards, easily, on a number of them. I would say a 3-5 yard swing on average.