For What Its Worth

Vince R.

Just to the OP - that is FAR from the reason we lost. In fact, this team only had a false sense of confidence, but nearly every single one of them played the game scared. All that was a direct result of us as fans hyping this game up so huge, the AD hyping the game, the media hyping the game, and the coaches putting so much pressure on them to not only win but win convincingly.

Not a one of those kids were loose and felt like they could just play. They all felt like they needed to do something huge to appease everyone else and feel like they were carrying their own weight.

Some of the biggest problems we have is when we are not playing well, Bo will go on his tirades and stay that way. Bo hasn't learned the art of when someone needs a good butt-chewing, and when someone needs some positive encouragement. Instead, it's just a rage on players and coaches both that puts insane pressure on them both.

It's like in the 4th quarter when Zac came in and a little momentum was going our way. The team had some difficulty getting the play in and had to burn a timeout. Instead of pumping the boys up to keep fighting to make that late rally, you see the veins in Bo's neck popping out as he is going off on Zac for calling that timeout.

Basically, the team folded under the pressure from everyone.

Well, why is it the offense that always folds under pressure vs a decent defense? I don't see the defense getting blown out since 2008 no matter who they play.

2010 - Texas - zero TDs

2009 - Texas - zero TDs

2009 - Oklahoma - one TD (we get the ball on their one yd line due to pick)

2009 - Virginia Tech - zero TDs

Heck, even vs "very" marginal defenses our offense can fold like a tent.

2010 - SDSU - 2 Tds

2009 - Texas Tech - one TD (at garbage time)

2009 - Iowa State - one TD

For whatever reason, it looks to me that the pressure only gets to us on one side of the ball.

Just to the OP - that is FAR from the reason we lost. In fact, this team only had a false sense of confidence, but nearly every single one of them played the game scared. All that was a direct result of us as fans hyping this game up so huge, the AD hyping the game, the media hyping the game, and the coaches putting so much pressure on them to not only win but win convincingly.

Not a one of those kids were loose and felt like they could just play. They all felt like they needed to do something huge to appease everyone else and feel like they were carrying their own weight.

Some of the biggest problems we have is when we are not playing well, Bo will go on his tirades and stay that way. Bo hasn't learned the art of when someone needs a good butt-chewing, and when someone needs some positive encouragement. Instead, it's just a rage on players and coaches both that puts insane pressure on them both.

It's like in the 4th quarter when Zac came in and a little momentum was going our way. The team had some difficulty getting the play in and had to burn a timeout. Instead of pumping the boys up to keep fighting to make that late rally, you see the veins in Bo's neck popping out as he is going off on Zac for calling that timeout.

Well, why is it the offense that always folds under pressure vs a decent defense? I don't see the defense getting blown out since 2008 no matter who they play.

2010 - Texas - zero TDs

2009 - Texas - zero TDs

2010 - SDSU - 2 Tds

For whatever reason, it looks to me that the pressure only gets to us on one side of the ball.

I can see our OFFENSE being scared, but do you think it was possible that they started feeling this way after they got down? idk, either way, watching Iowa st giving it to them right now, obviously proves it wasnt a talent issue

you know what cracks me up, because we lost, everyone all of the sudden feels like we got outclassed talent wise but im willing to say that i would have more people agreeing with me if those balls were caught and we win the game. our oline got outclassed because we continued to run the ball when the box was stacked. quite frankly most husker fans before the lost wouldve said no way to trading martinez for gilbert, wr's for theirs. and rbs for theirs and definitely the oline because of texas lack of running game. You know how i know nebraska is more talented? we played absolutely awful and put ourselves in the worst position and got screwed by the refs, and still only lost by 7.

Valid points Vince, but you know what cracks me up.

1.Everyone says if we catch the balls we win. Possible but not entirely true. Let's say Rex catches his or Niles catches the one at the 5, one or the other. Do people honestly think the game continues the way it does? No it doesn't. What transpired with Texas on offense is exactly what NU did last year. Get a lead, more or less sit on it by running the ball and clock and letting the defense take the burden. It is exactly what happened Saturday. If either of those balls are caught, Texas probably changes their game calling. So I will never fully buy the "if we catch the ball we win" arguement. The whole game would have changed, could've been for the better or otherwise.

2. The whole ref thing is getting old. Every game NU isn't getting all the calls some of us fans think they should get. That's football. If you are going to leave a game where the refs can make/not make a call that may dictate the game it is the teams fault. We all know holding is no longer a call made in the Big XII, but you play past it(and our OLine have gotten by with more of their fairshare of holds).

As far as today, yes it is shocking, but how much of it is the hangover from last week and not truely looking at ISU as a threat.

2010 - Texas - zero TDs

2009 - Texas - zero TDs

2010 - SDSU - 2 Tds

No matter how many times you say it, people never seem to fully grasp that the offense going into a shell was a direct result of what Bo Pelini wanted.

Do not like the offensive philosophy and production from last year? Point that finger at Bo, for changing it MID-SEASON.

If this whole "mindset" thing is true then I expect us to lose several more games this year. What a bunch of Nancys! Bo's vein pops out and these guys turtle back into their shell?

Tell me that's not why we lost this game.

2010 - Texas - zero TDs

2009 - Texas - zero TDs

2010 - SDSU - 2 Tds

Just to further expand on this to show how senseless and blind people are being ..

2007: Kansas (12th rated); 39 points, 484 yards

2007: USC (2nd rated); 31 points, 420 yards

2007: Wake Forest (27th rated); 20 points, 373 yards

2008: VA Tech (7th rated); 30 points, 333 yards

2008: Clemson (18th rated); 26 points, 361 yards

2009: VA Tech (12th rated); 15 points, 343 yards

The 2009 VA Tech game will have people looking back on it wondering why I included it, but the reality is we moved the ball with great consistency until we went stupid with penalties, and Zac Lee's body could not hold up from the constant hits he was taking. I mean, we ran for 215 yards on 36 carries that day (5.8 YPC) as a team against an insanely stout Hokie defense.

The funniest part is, even after I post these stats I guarantee someone will come in here to take away from them, or discredit them, so as they can continue to believe Watson is completely inept and chokes against better teams.

If this whole "mindset" thing is true then I expect us to lose several more games this year. What a bunch of Nancys! Bo's vein pops out and these guys turtle back into their shell?

Tell me that's not why we lost this game.

Our team is no different than any other team. You can yell, and yell, and yell, but it really does nothing to motivate. At some point, you have to give these kids encouragement, slap them on the back and try to keep them going.

These players had enough stress on them going into the game, but the added in-game pressure put on them by the coaching staff was too much for anyone to handle.

The type of mentality in coaching generally works for a few years, until players grown insanely tired of being treated like whipping boys and they tun the coaches out. Most famous case was when it happened to Jon Gruden.

It's like if you were back in college, needed a good grade in your class, and were working late into the night on an exam paper and your teacher calls you up to start messing with you, reminding you how important the paper is and how your whole future rides on the paper. You will tense up as well, begin to stress, and overthink nearly everything as anyone would.

Yeah, these guys are players .. yadda, yadda, yadda .. they are human too, though.

Tell it to the Marines. Tell it to the Army. Heck, tell it to the National Guard - any branch you want. Bo is not even close to as "hard" on these guys as a drill sergeant, a commanding officer, and not even close to as rough on these guys as the other team has been. No joke - if these guys are folding under the pressure Bo's putting on them, they have no place in major college football.

Bear Bryant didn't hold hands with his players. Bob Devaney didn't sing Kum-Ba-Yah with his guys. Heck, Paul Rhoads and Bill Snyder chew their players out. Seems like these guys are able to win tough games.

Having a coach that yells and high expectations isn't an excuse for losing games. Period.