Don't slay me for this

epocSoN

I love Martinez's talents as much as the next guy, but I have to say something that I Have been afraid to bring up to fellow husker fans. While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves. If anybody gets right in his face he stops and has no idea what to do. You watch Crouch or Lord or any other past running husker QBs they has some moves. This kid does not. Which is a shame because with his blazing speed, having a few moves could make him a potential heisman contender. You watch all the long runs he has had, and it is because he found a seem and broke through by out running everybody.

Don't kill me on this, I love the kid too, and he has performed like very few, if any other redshirt freshmen in Husker history.

Ahhh that feels better. Be gentle.

Actually, that's a pretty good point, now that I think about it. I think he has perhaps more moves than you state - I seem to recall him being able to bounce plays in different directions based on holes being filled, but it could be that he's been instructed, like any zone read back, to make one move to the opening and accelerate through it. And when that happens, that straight-line speed does the rest of the trick, negating the need for moves.

Oh, and I think we'll move this to the Husker Football forum - I can see a good discussion from this...

I happen to disagree with with. He has very nice escapability and I remember the first game of the year he had a run that amazed me because of a sidestep he made. Yes it was Western Kentucky but still. Also this doesnt mean much but if I was out there trying to make a tackle chances are one of my ankles would probably break.

• Fire 2

I happen to disagree with with. He has very nice escapability and I remember the first game of the year he had a run that amazed me because of a sidestep he made. Yes it was Western Kentucky but still. Also this doesnt mean much but if I was out there trying to make a tackle chances are one of my ankles would probably break.

:yeah

While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

IMO he just seems to freeze up when somebody gets in his face. I'm not saying he can't become one of the great runners, just an observation.

I would feel more comfortable with this thread in the shed, but oh well.

i think you see it a lot when he gets flushed out of the pocket. i think it is more of a problem of him not having much pocket presence and not knowing how to take a sack.

IMO he just seems to freeze up when somebody gets in his face. I'm not saying he can't become one of the great runners, just an observation.

I would feel more comfortable with this thread in the shed, but oh well.

i think you see it a lot when he gets flushed out of the pocket. i think it is more of a problem of him not having much pocket presence and not knowing how to take a sack.

Yeah, that's probably true.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

I always say this because now that we have Taylor, everyone for some reason categorizes Lee into a Zac Taylor, Pat Witt category of speed. Lee leaves Joe Ganz in the dust with his athleticism. I said he isn't a great runner, which should make most people satisfied. But that doesn't mean that he has pretty good straightline speed. Take that for what it's worth. Lee has 4.6 speed and if I recall, was reported to have outrun Quentin Castille and was one of the more athletic guys on the team of any position in tests during spring of '09. Lee isn't the best runner, but he's got wheels.

With Green, it's also open field speed. I think he takes a while to accelerate and get going, and also isn't the guy that can find holes and run through them. Could be due to his size. Green is pretty flying though. Wasn't it A&M that was looking for him to be WR?

It does seem like Taylor freezes up at times making decisions behind the line. On the other hand, when he does pull it down and run, sometimes it's just one deadly, decisive cut and he's gone.