Do the Cowboys have more talent than the Huskers?

OSU football: More talent than Nebraska?

Posted by berrytramel on October 21, 2010M at 11:23 pm

In the Thursday Oklahoman, our man Brandon Chatmon compared the talent levels of

Oklahoma State and Nebraska football. His basic conclusion: OSU has the superior

offensive talent, Nebraska the better defensive talent. Which seems pretty obvious.

Some have wondered how OSU could be on equal footing with Nebraska in talent,

but I have a question. What has happened in the last five years to make anyone think

Nebraska should have more talent than OSU?

Record the last five years: Nebraska 38-21, OSU 38-20.

Record the last four years: Nebraska 29-16, OSU 31-14.

Record the last three years: Nebraska 24-9, OSU 24-8.

Record the last two years: Nebraska 15-5, OSU 15-4.

Record this season: Nebraska 5-1, OSU 6-0.

And while you might be able to argue the Huskers have played slightly tougher non-conference opponents

— I don’t buy it, but you could argue it — that doesn’t make up for OSU playing in the Big 12 South and

Nebraska in the weaker North.

So why the belief that Nebraska automatically has to have better talent?

I don’t claim to know who has better linemen. Or heck, better DBs and linebackers. But ballhandlers,

I can distinguish. And OSU clearly has the talent edge in ballhandlers. Brandon Weeden,

Justin Blackmon, Kendall Hunter. The Huskers have a good tailback in Roy Helu, a fast quarterback

who can’t throw much in Taylor Martinez and receivers who have angered their own fans for a dismal

performance against Texas.

The Huskers got everyone excited with their performance down the stretch last season — a disputed loss

to Texas in the Big 12 title game and a 33-0 rout of Arizona in the Holiday Bowl — and jumping to a

5-0 start in 2010. But there’s no evidence that Nebraska out-talents OSU.

OSU has had the same head coach through that entire period. NU had that guy we don't speak of anymore. OSU has a similar record, but they performed within their expectations (well, my expectations of their expectations). NU performed well under its expectations(again, my expectations) during at least 3 of those years.

I'll go ahead an put as much stock in Berry Tramel as I do in Pat Forde, namely, not much.

Weeden "clearly" better than Taylor, 'eh? The argument could be made I guess, but it ain't like saying Jupiter is bigger then Mercury. I don't remember seeing Weeden's name on any Heiman candidate lists this season. I also think it's ridiculous that this kid can play at age 27. I wouldn't care if he was on our team, but since he isn't, it's total bs. :lol:

Kendell Hunter is pretty good. So is Roy Helu. Is Hunter better? Yeah, probably a little. But not by the leaps and bounds required to state that someone is blatently superior.

So, really Berry, you are actually talking about the flavor of the week (Blackmon) and contrasting that with the abysmal performance of our WR's last week. Fair enough...I guess.

I don't know much about OSU, and honestly I don't give them a lot of respect. I expect us to win this one handily.

As one Husker fan to another, I have to ask you ...why? Why do you think we win this one handily? What evidence suggests we should win... much less handily?

We have ca. 20 fumbles, a passing game that is non-existant, a running game that can and has been shut down(twice already... once by SDSU). We have a history now ... fow several years of rarely ever stringing together 4 quarters in the same game with focus and intensity. History shows that NU can be flat and lifeless one week and rocking the next. History has shown both Bo getting his team very prepared... and Bo bringing a completely unprepared team to the field... again, it is just guesswork as which team shows up which week. Mid-game offensive adjustments? They do not happen at NU. WR at NU? Horrible. The problems at NU are many --- sure from a big picture perspective NU is, generally, improving. But we are nowhere near where we can rationally predict a road win against a top 20 team --- it hs been nearly 1150 football games since it last happened! What makes you think today is the day?!

Last victory against a top 20 team for NU? 9 years ago!!!!

Now... we might win... and if so, it would not be totally surprising --- I would not predict it... but it is certainly not out of the question. We might get ripped... that would not surprise me either. We'll see what happens... but certainly expecting a once in a decade event to take place today... and being confidant that it will happen is somewhat... well, lets call it unwarranted confidence.

I don't know much about OSU, and honestly I don't give them a lot of respect. I expect us to win this one handily.

As one Husker fan to another, I have to ask you ...why? Why do you think we win this one handily? What evidence suggests we should win... much less handily?

We have ca. 20 fumbles, a passing game that is non-existant, a running game that can and has been shut down(twice already... once by SDSU). We have a history now ... fow several years of rarely ever stringing together 4 quarters in the same game with focus and intensity. History shows that NU can be flat and lifeless one week and rocking the next. History has shown both Bo getting his team very prepared... and Bo bringing a completely unprepared team to the field... again, it is just guesswork as which team shows up which week. Mid-game offensive adjustments? They do not happen at NU. WR at NU? Horrible. The problems at NU are many --- sure from a big picture perspective NU is, generally, improving. But we are nowhere near where we can rationally predict a road win against a top 20 team --- it hs been nearly 1150 football games since it last happened! What makes you think today is the day?!

Now... we might win... and if so, it would not be totally surprising --- I would not predict it... but it is certainly not out of the question. We might get ripped... that would not surprise me either. We'll see what happens... but certainly expecting a once in a decade event to take place today... and being confidant that it will happen is somewhat... well, lets call it unwarranted confidence.

Make that nearly 115 games (not 1150 games!) since we last beat a top 20 team!

robsker, your posts always bring with them a good dose of reality, this team has lots of issues, to pretend we have begun to really gel after the first 6 games would be delusional and quite frankly it is disappointing to not see steady improvement. we have a chance now to string together some high quality performances, the one thing i think this team lacks is chemistry, especially on the O and D lines, the guys seem confused and at times they get pushed around way too much.....our receivers is a whole huge problem of it's own, i think Gilmore has got to be cut loose at the end of the season, i have seen enough of him.

robsker, your posts always bring with them a good dose of reality, this team has lots of issues, to pretend we have begun to really gel after the first 6 games would be delusional and quite frankly it is disappointing to not see steady improvement. we have a chance now to string together some high quality performances, the one thing i think this team lacks is chemistry, especially on the O and D lines, the guys seem confused and at times they get pushed around way too much.....our receivers is a whole huge problem of it's own, i think Gilmore has got to be cut loose at the end of the season, i have seen enough of him.

I don’t know if we’ll win handily. I hope so. Of course.

But I do have a hard time giving Okie Lite any respect. I think it’s because of the steak. Not the recent streak of two games that Okie Lite beat us. But the earlier streak where we beat them something like 35 times in a row.