My $.02

I'm just throwing my thoughts together, in absolutely no order other than when they come to my completely tired mind. I think I need a nap even before I start this.

But I felt the need to start this thread, mainly because I needed to eat my share of crow openly. With that, I'll just throw a bunch of random thoughts in as well in a completely jumbled ordered that will confuse everyone who reads this. :)

--

I'll admit, I am by far Taylor's toughest critic on this forum. And today, he sent me a catered dinner that looked like ...

Eat%20Crow_thumb.jpg

Hey, that Willie guy admitted he was wrong. :o

The beautiful thing we saw today is a freshman who gained confidence with every pass. It got to the point where he was getting almost too confident trying to needle the ball into places.

At the same time we saw an amazing performance by Taylor, lets keep it in perspective. Not everyone will allow our WRs to run free like OSU did today. Quite a few throws consisted off absolutely no one near a receiver and just being laid in there.

Not taking away from Taylor, because he made some beautiful throws today as well. The long pass to Niles, which he dropped. The long TD to Kyler Reed. The TD pass to Legate where he threw on the run, and put the ball in front of Legate so he didn't have to stop on his route. Also the fade to Kinnie was nice as well. But the throws to Reed and Niles were BY FAR his most impressive.

Tempered enthusiasm just needs to be practiced is all.

But please no more falling to the ground underhanded passes up in the air. :lol:

--

Bo, loved the much more calm demeanor this week. Great to be fiery when the time comes, but you didn't flip your lid when the defense played horribly in the 1st half. You stayed relatively calm on the sideline, and even in your interview going into halftime.

I have zero doubt that being calm and showing you had faith in those boys inspired some of that 2nd half effort. Would have been easy to panic, but you didn't, and the team responded.

Definitely made me eat crow after complaining about your demeanor this week.

--

Also, on the coaching staff, beautiful gameplan by Watson, and his faith in putting the game in Martinez's hands by passing. Even more by sticking with it when it would have been easy to go back to the ground. Took some balls, but he kept with it when alot of folks would have went back to our run game.

Even more, big props to Carl and Bo for getting their act together out of halftime. Would have been easy to be shell shocked considering we gave up more points in 2 quarters than we have in a LONG time. Instead, they came out of half with a plan, executed, and got us an important W.

Adjustments all around were made, and the entire coaching staff needs props for it.

--

Niles, you redeem yourself at the same time you make yourself look bad. The dropped TD was facepalm worthy, as was you running OOB on that return. But then you follow it up with a return TD, and that beautiful grab in the 2nd half where you bailed out your QB.

Overall, you got much more plus' than minus', so you did more than your job this week. You just need focus, and attention every week and you will be fine.

At least his news pieces this week should be positive.

--

Rickey Thenarse, have a seat. Do not get up from that seat until you go to a missed tackle rehab clinic. It's great you can hit hard, but this isn't HS and guys aren't going down on first contact. This is the B12 and this is NCAA football. Wrap these guys up, simply put.

--

Granted it's not fair to single Rickey out completely, but he has been the biggest culprit of this BY FAR this season. With that said, the entire defense needs to solely practice on tackling. It's close to comical at this point how many yards we give up after first contact.

I have a feeling Bo and Carl are going to make practices - difficult - this week for our defense.

--

Furthering on the defense, our defensive line is putrid. No one is worth singling out, because they are all simply bad. Yes, Crick as well.

Not one of these guys show any fire to get off a block, shed, hand fight, or even tackle when the chance comes. Even the majority of even our sacks this year have been simply because of coverage.

Watching RBs run through holes as our entire DL is still locked into a block is becoming routine, and sickening at that.

Was even more sickening watching a guy like Jacob Lattimer from Iowa State play so well against Texas' line, just simply from intensity and effort. A little of both from our guys may be a new thing to try. May be surprising at its results as well.

#1 and #2 recruiting targets for the rest of the season should be a JUCO DT who can step in and provide immediately, and a edge rusher.

--

Finally seeing Lavonte struggle. Teams are not going sideline-to-sideline as much allowing Lavonte and our DBs to play in space. It was easy when these guys could fly to the ball, but now they are playing in the box, taking on blocks, trying to shed, read and make a play.

The biggest struggle from Lavonte before the season is that he just raw and needed time to learn our defense. Now you see the growing pains and how Lavonte is making quite a few bad reads. His bad play got him benched last week for a spell, and he was out of position quite a bit today.

--

Prince, a giant WHAT THE .. is deserved for your effort today. It was almost as if you were shocked they tested you and not ready for it at all.

Cannot remember you playing this badly in nearly 2 years.

--

Alfonzo's swag was on high today. Absolutely outstanding game, and season so far from him.

Fonzie, as he is now known, has honestly been our best and most consistent corner this season. Strange to say, eh?

--

Lastly, to the announcers of todays game, a giant cup of 'SHUT THE .. UP' would do them well. The absolutely harping on Eric Martin and his 'dirty' hit was not only over the line, it was retarded.

First off, the hit was clean. This point in football where folks think if you lower your head it must be dirty is just silly. Here is a tip - you can lower your head and still hit with your shoulder, just as Martin did.

Second, this whole 'protecting defenseless' players is just retarded. If Paul or Marlowe on the KR had jumped over a defender to get drilled, you would call it a good hit. If Paul or Marlowe on the KR had gotten drilled from the side on a KR, that's a clean hit.

And really, any persons job in football is to protect yourself. If you are running down the field gung-ho, it's not a blockers responsibility to let up or let you go because you are not prepared for a hit. That is the complete wussification (I would use the other word if not for filters) of this sport, and should not even be brought up for discussion.

I hope we do not have to endure that announcing crew the rest of the season. Their senseless babble led me to mute the TV during a sports broadcast for the first time ever. And that is something considering I put up with guys like Al Michaels and John Madden during old 49ers vs Packers games without muting them.

--

All in all, a nice win. But as quality a win as this was, it needs to be short lived. I think we may have another semi-important game next week. ;)

• Fire 4

By the way...I think if you catch Prince playing against Blackmon on a different day....performance could definitely be different and Blackmon might not be so successful. We played a great offense today though...and both players can play at oustandingly high levels...Blackmon is an awesome player...i think that's how you spell his last name ha! ANNNND I loved the interception by Hagg!! Awesome hands! Too bad he didn't have the best game of his life either...the defense could have played better...but they also were highly tested today...

Watson did call a great game. I was surprised that Okies defense didn't blitz more often...I am guessing they didn't because if they would've failed...Martinez has a possibility of taking it to the barn....eh...tough game decisions to assess...Taylor looked GREAT wow....on ESPN...Ubben was talking up Taylor...calling him "Vince Youngish" after this game....ha

I'm just throwing my thoughts together, in absolutely no order other than when they come to my completely tired mind. I think I need a nap even before I start this.

But I felt the need to start this thread, mainly because I needed to eat my share of crow openly. With that, I'll just throw a bunch of random thoughts in as well in a completely jumbled ordered that will confuse everyone who reads this. :)

--

I'll admit, I am by far Taylor's toughest critic on this forum. And today, he sent me a catered dinner that looked like ...

Eat%20Crow_thumb.jpg

The beautiful thing we saw today is a freshman who gained confidence with every pass. It got to the point where he was getting almost too confident trying to needle the ball into places.

At the same time we saw an amazing performance by Taylor, lets keep it in perspective. Not everyone will allow our WRs to run free like OSU did today. Quite a few throws consisted off absolutely no one near a receiver and just being laid in there.

Not taking away from Taylor, because he made some beautiful throws today as well. The long pass to Niles, which he dropped. The long TD to Kyler Reed. The TD pass to Legate where he threw on the run, and put the ball in front of Legate so he didn't have to stop on his route. Also the fade to Kinnie was nice as well. But the throws to Reed and Niles were BY FAR his most impressive.

But please no more falling to the ground underhanded passes up in the air. :lol:

--

Bo, loved the much more calm demeanor this week. Great to be fiery when the time comes, but you didn't flip your lid when the defense played horribly in the 1st half. You stayed relatively calm on the sideline, and even in your interview going into halftime.

I have zero doubt that being calm and showing you had faith in those boys inspired some of that 2nd half effort. Would have been easy to panic, but you didn't, and the team responded.

--

Also, on the coaching staff, beautiful gameplan by Watson, and his faith in putting the game in Martinez's hands by passing. Even more by sticking with it when it would have been easy to go back to the ground. Took some balls, but he kept with it when alot of folks would have went back to our run game.

Even more, big props to Carl and Bo for getting their act together out of halftime. Would have been easy to be shell shocked considering we gave up more points in 2 quarters than we have in a LONG time. Instead, they came out of half with a plan, executed, and got us an important W.

Adjustments all around were made, and the entire coaching staff needs props for it.

--

Niles, you redeem yourself at the same time you make yourself look bad. The dropped TD was facepalm worthy, as was you running OOB on that return. But then you follow it up with a return TD, and that beautiful grab in the 2nd half where you bailed out your QB.

Overall, you got much more plus' than minus', so you did more than your job this week. You just need focus, and attention every week and you will be fine.

--

Rickey Thenarse, have a seat. Do not get up from that seat until you go to a missed tackle rehab clinic. It's great you can hit hard, but this isn't HS and guys aren't going down on first contact. This is the B12 and this is NCAA football. Wrap these guys up, simply put.

--

Granted it's not fair to single Rickey out completely, but he has been the biggest culprit of this BY FAR this season. With that said, the entire defense needs to solely practice on tackling. It's close to comical at this point how many yards we give up after first contact.

I have a feeling Bo and Carl are going to make practices - difficult - this week for our defense.

--

Furthering on the defense, our defensive line is putrid. No one is worth singling out, because they are all simply bad. Yes, Crick as well.

Not one of these guys show any fire to get off a block, shed, hand fight, or even tackle when the chance comes. Even the majority of even our sacks this year have been simply because of coverage.

Watching RBs run through holes as our entire DL is still locked into a block is becoming routine, and sickening at that.

Was even more sickening watching a guy like Jacob Lattimer from Iowa State play so well against Texas' line, just simply from intensity and effort. A little of both from our guys may be a new thing to try. May be surprising at its results as well.

#1 and #2 recruiting targets for the rest of the season should be a JUCO DT who can step in and provide immediately, and a edge rusher.

--

Finally seeing Lavonte struggle. Teams are not going sideline-to-sideline as much allowing Lavonte and our DBs to play in space. It was easy when these guys could fly to the ball, but now they are playing in the box, taking on blocks, trying to shed, read and make a play.

The biggest struggle from Lavonte before the season is that he just raw and needed time to learn our defense. Now you see the growing pains and how Lavonte is making quite a few bad reads. His bad play got him benched last week for a spell, and he was out of position quite a bit today.

--

Prince, a giant WHAT THE .. is deserved for your effort today. It was almost as if you were shocked they tested you and not ready for it at all.

--

Alfonzo's swag was on high today. Absolutely outstanding game, and season so far from him.

Fonzie, as he is now known, has honestly been our best and most consistent corner this season. Strange to say, eh?

--

Lastly, to the announcers of todays game, a giant cup of 'SHUT THE .. UP' would do them well. The absolutely harping on Eric Martin and his 'dirty' hit was not only over the line, it was retarded.

First off, the hit was clean. This point in football where folks think if you lower your head it must be dirty is just silly. Here is a tip - you can lower your head and still hit with your shoulder, just as Martin did.

Second, this whole 'protecting defenseless' players is just retarded. If Paul or Marlowe on the KR had jumped over a defender to get drilled, you would call it a good hit. If Paul or Marlowe on the KR had gotten drilled from the side on a KR, that's a clean hit.

And really, any persons job in football is to protect yourself. If you are running down the field gung-ho, it's not a blockers responsibility to let up or let you go because you are not prepared for a hit. That is the complete wussification (I would use the other word if not for filters) of this sport, and should not even be brought up for discussion.

I hope we do not have to endure that announcing crew the rest of the season. Their senseless babble led me to mute the TV during a sports broadcast for the first time ever. And that is something considering I put up with guys like Al Michaels and John Madden during old 49ers vs Packers games without muting them.

--

All in all, a nice win. But as quality a win as this was, it needs to be short lived. I think we may have another semi-important game next week. ;)

I'll take a plate also, Taylor played a fantastic game. People do need to remember he is still just a freshman, he had some potentially negative plays out there than went the Huskers way for a change this year. He can't get over confident and force things. The fumble, the flip under pressure and the pitch to Niles we're all freshmen moments, but didn't cost us too much.

Niles, i've generally been a pretty big supporter of Niles, but wasn't last week. Glad to see a bounce back game from him.

Prince, no doubt he will bounce back. Very few corners even in the NFL can survive on an island when you have a big, physical reciever one on one and we don't get pressure.

Dennard, i've said a few times this year he's playing better than Prince. Great play, the downside is I think he's NFL bound after this year unless he falls apart.

Backers, Still not picking the right holes and not making the plays when their in the open field. However, it was a positive that OSU ran a similar play on David as Texas did twice that they got 41 and 11 on with the simple RB option route. This time he played it perfectly and got the deflection that led to the Hagg interception.

D-Line and Carl- Not sure where the blame is, it looks like they're just playing Carl's schemes, trying to stay on blockers so the backers and safeties can fill the holes, but the guys behind them aren't doing their jobs. One thing is for sure, we will have to get pressure with our front 4 against MU. I know people say MU can't run, but they ran it 39 times for 177 yards against OU. Including 101 yards on 18 carries on first down, if MU can average 5+ yards per carry on first down we are in trouble.

Finally, if the D can't force turnovers, only 2 in the last 3 games, we will have a tough road.

--

Eat%20Crow_thumb.jpg

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

Excellent post, I couldn't agree more.

Great post. I too worried about TM getting it done against the better teams. He answered a lot of critics last night!!

My biggest concern next Saturday which is a huge switch is not the offense but the D. What an opportunity we have though if the D can bring their A game. Watching the OU game, misery looks faster than I thought they were. On the road though it's going to be loud and disruptive for their O. GBR

:clap:clap:clap:clap

and for this post I give you the clap

I completely agree with you, and a few of the things I thought I only thought

Especially about Bo's demeanor-it was almost like he was on xanax. I have said before the I love the firey attitude-to a point. I also think it can cause hysteria amoung the players when things aren't going well. Let the fans act like the proverbial ship is sinking, Bo needs to act like he is in charge.

Prince- I have to give Okie State kudus for picking on Prince. He's entitled to a bad game(as long as we win), but he looked like he thought"I cannot believe you're throwing my way again" as his feet got tangled. I think this schooling might do him well in the future.

The d-line: I don't know where to start, but why are they so weak? So much for being better then last year. Which I never did believe, mind you.

Thernarse: Deon Sanders type tackling is not going to cut it.

L.David: Still love him but he is just too small to take on direct contact from a fullback or powerfull RBs

Oh yeah and on Martinez: you know what I love outside of his awesome athletic ability. His calm demeanor. I think he has the ability to be a tru leader. Something goes wrong and he just goes out there and refocuses. I really admire that quality.

But PLEASE stop throwing as your going down. It worked out ok today, but it's gonna get picked and returned for 6