Henery's wise decision

That fake punt Nebraska senior Alex Henery pulled off against Oklahoma State?

That was his call.

"It's just something I saw was open," he said Tuesday. "I felt like I could get it. I took the chance."

Henery rolled to his right after taking the snap and read the defensive end. Henery decided to take off upfield, then cut back against the grain and wound up gaining 27 yards on fourth-and-8 in the first quarter, setting up Nebraska's first touchdown.

"The end's supposed to come up and pressure me to force the kick," Henery said. "(Justin) Blatchford held him up on the end, and they ended up going downfield. So I found the first-down marker and just ran."

"I kind of went everywhere," he added. "For 27 yards, it felt like I ran a mile."

Said Bo Pelini, tongue-in-cheek, "For a minute there, I thought he was going to score."

Pelini had a few anxious moments watching the valuable kicker/punter run down the field.

"I told him if it ever happens again, get your butt down (to the ground)," Pelini said with a smile. "He told me he thought about it when he was going over the middle of the field."

At any point during his run did Henery feel like a running back?

"No," he said flatly.

My link

he's my hero :koolaid2:

That fake punt Nebraska senior Alex Henery pulled off against Oklahoma State?

That was his call.

"It's just something I saw was open," he said Tuesday. "I felt like I could get it. I took the chance."

Henery rolled to his right after taking the snap and read the defensive end. Henery decided to take off upfield, then cut back against the grain and wound up gaining 27 yards on fourth-and-8 in the first quarter, setting up Nebraska's first touchdown.

"The end's supposed to come up and pressure me to force the kick," Henery said. "(Justin) Blatchford held him up on the end, and they ended up going downfield. So I found the first-down marker and just ran."

"I kind of went everywhere," he added. "For 27 yards, it felt like I ran a mile."

Said Bo Pelini, tongue-in-cheek, "For a minute there, I thought he was going to score."

Pelini had a few anxious moments watching the valuable kicker/punter run down the field.

"I told him if it ever happens again, get your butt down (to the ground)," Pelini said with a smile. "He told me he thought about it when he was going over the middle of the field."

At any point during his run did Henery feel like a running back?

"No," he said flatly.

My link

he's my hero :koolaid2:

I was waitinf for him to pull a heisman pose out!

Did anyone else hear the idiots announcing the game say when Henery took off that this wasn't unusual since he's a rugby-style kicker?!?!?!?! My eyes almost rolled right out of my head. I knew what he was doing from the first step he took, and I was not happy. I didn't think he'd pull it off, and I couldn't remember where the line was that he had to get because they pulled the yellow strip off the screen for the punt.

It turned out OK, but I almost had a conniption.

Did anyone else hear the idiots announcing the game say when Henery took off that this wasn't unusual since he's a rugby-style kicker?!?!?!?! My eyes almost rolled right out of my head. I knew what he was doing from the first step he took, and I was not happy. I didn't think he'd pull it off, and I couldn't remember where the line was that he had to get because they pulled the yellow strip off the screen for the punt.

Yeah, Franklin and side kick should be flogged at sea! Some of their comments throughout the game were just rambling, it got on my nerves. :angry:

Henry made a smart play! :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

I think the announcers said that the rugby style kick is getting to be pretty common in CFB, which is true, and probably what made it work. He doesn't usually do that but no reason for OSU players not to suspect that wasn't in his arsenal, for whatever situations. Of course, now there is reason to suspect that.

It's not the norm, but that's not the first time Alex has LOOKED like he might start running for it. He's done a few of those rugby style kicks before, '09 Va Tech comes to mind.

why do announcers make up stuff they clearly have no idea on? he has never had a rugby style kick and that was not a punt/run option; there is no such thing.

Why do posters make up stuff they clearly have no idea on? He has rugby style kicked in the past, and Bo himself said that was Alex' call, and if you read the INTERVIEW in the first post, Alex clearly states it wasn't a designed play, it was his read and he made a choice.

why do announcers make up stuff they clearly have no idea on? he has never had a rugby style kick and that was not a punt/run option; there is no such thing.

Double fail. Alex has had several rugby style punts.. it's just that usually he only does that when he's backed up inside the 10 yard line. There definitely is a such thing as a kick/run option.. just like there is a kick/pass option. You never make something that is perfectly legal never an option if it's open to take it and you have the talent to complete it successfully.

i guess i need to apologize. i knew he has rugby punted before, but i thought it was generally because of a broken play. bad snap, or blockers missing assignments. also, landlord (which i highly doubt you are actually the landlord of a stadium), if you read my POST, what i was saying was that it was not a called play. henery just decided to do it when he saw it open. it was not a designed play, but henery saw an opportunity and took advantage of it. so i do not understand your second gripe, i do not know what you are getting at.