Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

Further, your attitude towards clearly illegal hits seems to have been in absentia last year when your boy Weatherspoon punched our TE as he lay on the ground. I seem to recall a deafening silence from you and the rest of the Tiger fans about that play - for which Spoon was not suspended.

You, sir, have zero room to talk to anyone about opening eyes.

I have room to talk.

How about that clown Kellen Huston that punched a defenseless fan in Columbia in 2003?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80612437/

Further, your attitude towards clearly illegal hits seems to have been in absentia last year when your boy Weatherspoon punched our TE as he lay on the ground. I seem to recall a deafening silence from you and the rest of the Tiger fans about that play - for which Spoon was not suspended.

I have room to talk.

How about that clown Kellen Huston that punched a defenseless fan in Columbia in 2003?

How about it? Huston was vilified by Husker fans for that crap. How does Huston being an idiot do anything to mitigate your hypocrisy regarding Spoon?

I have room to talk.

How about that clown Derrick Washington, huh? This could go on and on and on. I expect something regarding LP in response.

I have room to talk.

How about that clown Derrick Washington, huh? This could go on and on and on. I expect something regarding LP in response.

the argument should be whether it was illegal or not and whether he deserved a suspension. i do not see how you can say it was dirty. there was helmet to helmet, but he was not leading with his head. and, i would what the announcers say have anything to do with this. they love to feign indignation and anger. they have over three hours to talk and try to keep us entertained and they have such a pretentious air of superiority.

I have room to talk.

That's not going to happen, and here's why. I'm not letting this board devolve into the same cesspit of BS it turned into prior to last year's Missouri game.

If the conversation dips away from Xs and Os and turns into a bitchfest about whose fans are the worst or whose team has the most criminals, I'm shutting those posts down.

If anyone wants to throw mud at another fan base, do it in the Woodshed. If you need the password, PM a Mod.

• Fire 1

I have room to talk.

That's not going to happen, and here's why. I'm not letting this board devolve into the same cesspit of BS it turned into prior to last year's Missouri game.

If the conversation dips away from Xs and Os and turns into a bitchfest about whose fans are the worst or whose team has the most criminals, I'm shutting those posts down.

If anyone wants to throw mud at another fan base, do it in the Woodshed. If you need the password, PM a Mod.

i think we can all agree that the answer to the question is florida.

Why is it that the only people that think this is a legal hit are Husker fans?...

Open your eyes people.

QzIXJ.jpg

What I find funny here is that Blatchford is breaking down to make practically the same hit. I've never really examined return blocking so closely.

Who knows, maybe Martin did put too much into it. Maybe it was wrong for him to flex and be laughing on the sideline after he injured someone. The only thing I know for sure is that he was clearly pumped up to be on that special team and outside Alex Henrey our special teams have been lackluster. So now, for what is most likely political reasons we are down an enthusiastic special teams player and backup in a big game that could decide the division.

i agree with and was also thinking about the bold part. it looked close to 50/50 to me, but martin was coming in faster.

My how this great game has changed. Players were once revered for their ability to strike fear into their opponents. Gone are the phrases that I have heard from coaches since I have played Pee-Wee football. "Play with bad intentions!" "Take somebodies head off!" "Put the fear of God in your opponent!" "Take that N on the side of your helmet and put it under somebodies chin! Right here!" Well, maybe they are not all gone, but the list goes on and on...The game these guys play today is very different from the one the great warriors in these videos played. I would love to hear what these monsters of the gridiron would say about this sissified game hidden under the guise of the football name.

This game they call football is a violent game. No one can debate that. But I have watched, in my short time with this game, as rules continue to chip away at the game, itself. As scholarship limits encourage parity, so that everyone gets a chance given to them. Well, the way I was brought up, you earn everything you get and are given nothing. Nebraska earned all their Championships and Accolades with blood and sweat. But, apparently, it doesn't appeal to all the "fans" who show up on Saturdays unable to name any player on their team not featured on College Gameday. They may wear their teams colors, but I think it's an insult to call them fans. Limits on hitting and defensive players ability to put hands on opponents have created an environment that encourages high-scoring shootouts instead of hard fought defensive struggles. Why you may ask? Once again, to appeal to those casual "fans" who think defense is "boring." And, IMO, it's easier to field a top notch offense than it is to field a top notch defense. So, again, this favors the "little guy."

So, to Eric Martin, (Yes, I know he won't read this, but I'm on my soapbox so back off! Lol) I say keep playing with that intensity Nebraska fans have come to love. Keep looking for that gamechanging hit. The Big 12 won't be able to touch you, next year. Don't let the higher-ups change the way you play this game. You, sir, are a throwback to those great players of ol', a true "Caveman" by today's standards. I, for one, miss the days when an overthrown ball over the middle meant punishment for a WR; the days when #1 receivers refused to go over the middle. I'm all for player safety, but where do you draw the line? I say, right here. GBR :bonez:throwdabones1::bonesflag:

:rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgQARSzaI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx20th1gT4k

Agree...disagree :dunno I want to see if Beebe will start handing out suspensions on other so called illegal hits? Right now it would make one think he is out to punish Nebraska for leaving the Conference. If he would start handing out suspensions then maybe he would make a change but clearly he is overlooking some of the hits that okie lite was making last week.

Agree...disagree :dunno I want to see if Beebe will start handing out suspensions on other so called illegal hits? Right now it would make one think he is out to punish Nebraska for leaving the Conference. If he would start handing out suspensions then maybe he would make a change but clearly he is overlooking some of the hits that okie lite was making last week.

it did not help how the commentators harped on it. but if beebe suspends more non-big red players for similar hits, then it is what it is and we can not take it personally and just accept it is a different game. time will tell the intentions of this suspension.

It's near the end.

Advance to the 1:35 mark. The hit is in the lower right quad of the screen. Head hunting - clear as a bell. Cheap, dirty shot... and then laughing on the sideline. Thug play.

i could respond to this, but that would be just feeding the fire your trying to start.....

Just because I'm a Tiger fan doesn't mean I'm here to stir the pot. I'm huge fan of college sports and the athletes themselves and hate seeing plays that put lives danger. Just 2 weeks ago a kid from Rutgers became paralyzed from a hit to the head. More and more evidence is coming about regarding the long-term effects of head trauma and concussions.

In 2007, Tiger "Pig" Brown speared Nate Swift needlessly. I thought he should have been ejected, maybe suspended. I was embarrassed to be a fan. Sean Weatherspoon should have been kicked out of last year's game for throwing a punch after the whistle. And Martin's hit was in the same category. I work with an avid Husker fan, and he'd been saying the Martin hit with his shoulder. After watching the above video twice he said, "He speared him with the top of his helmet."

I can't find a non-Husker fan who thinks it was a clean hit. Not one. That's why he's suspended, and righfully so, IMO.

Why is it that the only people that think this is a legal hit are Husker fans?

There are few impartial observers in this thread that think it was illegal, but for the most part 99% of you are wearing Husker goggles and can't look at this play logically.

The announcers said he led with his helmet.

The Big XII said he led with his helmet.

Print media said he led with his helmet.

Open your eyes people.

I call BS. I live out of Nebraska and work with mostly Nebraska haters. I should the clip to a number of them and asked, "was this a clean, hard it, or was it an illegal hit or a cheap shot." every single person said it was a clean hard hit and that the guy should have been paying attention.