Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

Ok, after watching the hit multiple times, here is my take. This is a great block that any of us would applaud if someone on our team executed it. A rewind and re-watch block, where we high-five the guy next to us. It was unfortunate that there was helmet-to-helmet contact. Was it intentional? Who knows, but I can see where it was unavoidable given the position of both players. The announcers harping on it surely led to the league examination and the fact that the OSU player laid there obviously hurt probably contributed to the suspension.

Was he celebrating after the hit? Probably, but I doubt that he was celebrating hurting the guy. He was hyped-up from the play, the touchdown, and from his part in making it happen. Again, this is the kind of block that we all cheer regularly when our team does it.

The suspension was a terrible decision, and I hope it gets appealed and overturned.

Looking forward to the game with you guys Saturday. I'm sorry you are leaving the Big XII; having Nebraska in the league made us all better. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to who is going to win, although I hope we win, and win big. I think that this Mizzou team is the best and most balanced we have had in my lifetime, and I want to see us succeed.

:clap

You, sir, have crystallized my thoughts. I hope you enjoy the game Saturday - just a little less than I enjoy it.

Again, I still don't think this is a big deal if the guy gets up right away and the announcers don't over-do it, and you can't get to B [announcers overreacting] if you don't have A [player not getting up].

Good reference on the "In The Deed...The Glory" video. That hit by Martin looks a little more helmet to helmet than the Oklahoma State hit. He was not suspended for that.

If I remember correctly, Martin was flagged for that play? Or maybe there was a punt return in that game where a UL-Lafayette player got lit up and that was a "late hit" or "helmet to helmet", but the flag was not on Martin on the punt return. I know one of those two, perhaps both, were flagged?

Either way, like Martinez, he got up and wasn't down, so that wasn't a big deal, and if that were the case here, there would be no case at all.

Again, I still don't think this is a big deal if the guy gets up right away and the announcers don't over-do it, and you can't get to B [announcers overreacting] if you don't have A [player not getting up].

Good reference on the "In The Deed...The Glory" video. That hit by Martin looks a little more helmet to helmet than the Oklahoma State hit. He was not suspended for that.

If I remember correctly, Martin was flagged for that play? Or maybe there was a punt return in that game where a UL-Lafayette player got lit up and that was a "late hit" or "helmet to helmet", but the flag was not on Martin on the punt return. I know one of those two, perhaps both, were flagged?

Either way, like Martinez, he got up and wasn't down, so that wasn't a big deal, and if that were the case here, there would be no case at all.

No flag. Had there been a flag, Paul's TD would have come back.

No flag. Had there been a flag, Paul's TD would have come back.

No, I was talking about Martin's hit in the video shown above, if there was a penalty on the hit, or during another part of that game. The hit I'm talking about getting a "true" helmet to helmet flag on is in that video against UL-Lafayette in 2009, not the Oklahoma State game from last week.

However, there WAS a penalty in the Oklahoma State game on Martin's hit, but it was Delay of Game - Sideline Warning on Nebraska, which did not take away the touchdown.

at halftime abc showed a clip of an arkansas player making the exact same hit on the mississippi kicker and the announcers couldn't get over what a wonderful play it was.

the big 12 has no interest in what is fair or unfair, legal or illegal.

it's one of the reasons we're leaving.

Hey, guess what? You know what's in this thread. If you don't want to read it, stay out of it. It's not like this is some mystery thread where you don't know the topic. If you're tired of the topic, stay out.

why would anyone be annoyed with such insightful commentary as 'blah, blah, blah'? you do not get such analysis and perspective everywhere.

No, but we did last Saturday from Franklin at that hot-winded douche sitting next to him.

Why is it that the only people that think this is a legal hit are Husker fans?

There are few impartial observers in this thread that think it was illegal, but for the most part 99% of you are wearing Husker goggles and can't look at this play logically.

The announcers said he led with his helmet.

The Big XII said he led with his helmet.

Print media said he led with his helmet.

Open your eyes people.

Many, not just Nebraska fans, have said that he led with his shoulder, which he clearly did. There was incidental helmet to helmet contact, which happens on every play in every game. I could go as far as to say that it was the OSU player's fault: if he wouldn't have squatted down, his facemask never would have hit the top of Martin's helmet. And if you believe what the Big SWC, errr, XII says, then you sir might be considered foolish.

As for Kellen Huston, well, fans shouldn't be on the field during or immediately following a sporting event, period. If that same fan did that 5 minutes earlier, or if there weren't thousands of "fans" on the field at that time, he would have been arrested. If I stupidly (and illegally) put myself in position to get hurt and I get hurt, that's my fault.

Why is it that the only people that think this is a legal hit are Husker fans?

There are few impartial observers in this thread that think it was illegal, but for the most part 99% of you are wearing Husker goggles and can't look at this play logically.

The announcers said he led with his helmet.

The Big XII said he led with his helmet.

Print media said he led with his helmet.

Open your eyes people.

Many, not just Nebraska fans, have said that he led with his shoulder, which he clearly did. There was helmet to helmet contact, incidental, which happens on every play in every game.

As for Kellen Huston, well, fans shouldn't be on the field, period. If that same fan did that 5 minutes earlier, he would have been arrested. If I stupidly (and illegally) put myself in position to get hurt and I get hurt, that's my fault.

The Kellen Huston thing is far past it's redundant nature. Not only did Husker fans criticize the hell out of Huston for this, I have never once seen an honest Husker fan say Huston was not in the wrong in that situation.

But, it could have easily been prevented. You should never let fans storm a field, ever.

Why is it that the only people that think this is a legal hit are Husker fans? ... Open your eyes people.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-880420761-1288226576.jpg?ymRsl_DDpCfXUR2U

Does this still look like an illegal hit once you see it from a better camera angle? Perhaps you should open *your* eyes Tiger Timmy.