Courtney Osborne's hit on Gabbert has been sent to Big 12 for review?

Nexus

Here's a link to the video from the game. They show it in slow motion about 47 seconds in.

If you watch the slow motion, Gabbert seeIs Osborne at the last second and ducks his head right into Osborne. Osborne is 6'3, Gabbert is 6'5.

The announcer is really obnoxious. I was at the game, so I didn't hear him going off about "targeting" with his head.

The Mizzou defender that took T-Mart out of the game tackled with his helmet into the legs of the quarterback. Later in the second half, he tried the same thing with Lee. Why isn't that play reviewed? Blow up a knee and end a guys career with your helmet, and that's okay?

Nice you used my video lol

I will find any suspension of another Nebraska player complete BS until Beebe suspends a player from a different school(a handful from just this weekend) for these types of hits. Oklahoma State hit Martinez with a couple of flagrant helmet to helmet style hits, and NU did not go down the road Pinkel is. Is this really the example you wish to set for your team? "If you can't beat them, say they didn't play fair?" This seems like whining and bitterness from someone who lost. Pinkel....lose like a man. Have some dignity. This is sad, very sad. I thought Mizzou was above this.

What would lead you to believe this? We were called a dirty team in 2008 after what I saw was a clean football game on our part. In fact, the most blatant hit was on Ganz and didn't draw a flag. I expect them to make excuses. Last year it was because it was raining and because we hurt their QB. Well this year our QB got hurt. They have to blame someone, because Lord knows there is just no way we are actually better than them.

Wow so much negativity. Im pretty sure if one of the Mizzou players delivered a hit like that on Taylor or Helu, a majority of posters would be saying why isn't Pelini sending this to the big12.

Which part of HUSKERboard are you finding confusing? What do you expect people to do, jump for joy that our players are being suspended and threatened with suspension?

Wow so much negativity. Im pretty sure if one of the Mizzou players delivered a hit like that on Taylor or Helu, a majority of posters would be saying why isn't Pelini sending this to the big12.

We never would have discussed it if it weren't for the actions of the commissioner. We made a living beating the hell out of QBs in the 90s, and quite frankly I never saw a problem with it and still don't.

No doubt in my mind that the Big 12 Office is going to be watching every game involving the Huskers. :bs:

Maybe Pinkel should spend more time figuring out how Osborne got through untouched, and less time worried about calling Daddy.

I will find any suspension of another Nebraska player complete BS until Beebe suspends a player from a different school(a handful from just this weekend) for these types of hits. Oklahoma State hit Martinez with a couple of flagrant helmet to helmet style hits, and NU did not go down the road Pinkel is. Is this really the example you wish to set for your team? "If you can't beat them, say they didn't play fair?" This seems like whining and bitterness from someone who lost. Pinkel....lose like a man. Have some dignity. This is sad, very sad. I thought Mizzou was above this.

I think Beebe handled this poorly (big shock), they should of been very vocal before conference play that they were going to watch for this, and given specific examples as non-con games were played, telling EVERYONE that such and such a hit will cause you to sit for a game. As far as I know this was not done, and now the first player to get the ax is from NU, is just fuel for the fire.

a little off the subject, but is asking the defender to hit lower really a safer thing to do? you can still get a head injury. who do you think was more messed up gabbert or the harris kid from miami? if osbourne would have hit him low like harris got hit that would have been the end of gabberts day. its something that people need to think about

I think Beebe handled this poorly (big shock), they should of been very vocal before conference play that they were going to watch for this, and given specific examples as non-con games were played, telling EVERYONE that such and such a hit will cause you to sit for a game. As far as I know this was not done, and now the first player to get the ax is from NU, is just fuel for the fire.

A player from Mississippi got a suspension the same week Martin did.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say there will be no suspension of Osborne. Why? The hit was extremely clean and does not suffer from any of the aggravating factors you saw with Martin's hit (leaving his feet, flexing after the hit, laughing on the sideline (regardless of the reason), etc.). If a second Nebraska player is suspended in as many weeks, all the national media will perk up and want to see the tape to decide for themselves. What they'll see is a textbook hit and a fumble that should have---but mysteriously didn't---go to Nebraska. I guarantee it will bring the whole "what's going on with the Big 12 officiating and Nebraska" question into the mainstream. Bebee & Co. will be under a microscope and if they dare lay a questionable call on Nebraska in future games, the conference will never live it down.

I think they leave this one alone, for their own sakes.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say there will be no suspension of Osborne. Why? The hit was extremely clean and does not suffer from any of the aggravating factors you saw with Martin's hit (leaving his feet, flexing after the hit, laughing on the sideline (regardless of the reason), etc.). If a second Nebraska player is suspended in as many weeks, all the national media will perk up and want to see the tape to decide for themselves. What they'll see is a textbook hit and a fumble that should have---but mysteriously didn't---go to Nebraska. I guarantee it will bring the whole "what's going on with the Big 12 officiating and Nebraska" question into the mainstream. Bebee & Co. will be under a microscope and if they dare lay a questionable call on Nebraska in future games, the conference will never live it down.

I think they leave this one alone, for their own sakes.

Those are good points, but Beebe won't get off the hook by not suspending Osborne. If he doesn't, people will start to compare the two hits and see that they're not that dissimilar, and the question of why Martin was suspended will come to the fore again.

I see a rough road for Beebe either way this plays out.

watching football highlights now, i see a lot of head to head hits. what seems bad is when players lead with their heads. lower their heads and try to make first contact with their heads. that seems so much worse that what our players have done, which has been basically bump heads in the process of wrapping up and tackling.