Courtney Osborne's hit on Gabbert has been sent to Big 12 for review?

Nexus

The only way beebe can clear everything is by stating that Martin's suspension occurred because after laying the guy out he stood up and posed and made a big deal about it, thus displaying the "intent" to harm. Not saying I agree just that this is the only way people would go "okay I guess that is different"...oh and follow up with an apology for not being clear on the issue last week. But he won't.

Here's another example of targeting:

This is not at all what Meredith or Osborne did.

That was a nasty hit!

I don't really see how this one could have been avoided though. He was obviously going for a big hit to try and disrupt the catch - but when he launched himself,the receiver was 2-3 feet above where he was when contact was made. Like Osborne's hit, the offensive player actually came down into the tackle. Had he caught the ball and stayed tall, the tackle would have been made chest high. The reason why Martins was so questionable IMO is because if you watched Martin's feet - he launched himself upward, and his body angle was much more verticle than this guys. Regardless - I'm not really sure how these guys can make shoulder tackles and not lead w/ the head...when their damn head is in front of their shoulder. It's not physically possible...

I'm not really sure how these guys can make shoulder tackles and not lead w/ the head...when their damn head is in front of their shoulder. It's not physically possible...

Exactly. I've been saying this for years. People like Ed Cunningham who are more interested in "saving the game" never stop to explain how hits should be made. Likely they don't because if they did, they'd grasp what you're saying, and the debate would necessarily die away. Those on their soapbox rarely stop to think about the mechanics of the hit.

Beebe, of course, handled this atrociously. Rather than waiting a season and a half before taking action on violent hits without prior comment or instruction, he suspends a player for a hit we've found identical (or worse) video on, in what seems to be a wholly reactionary step.

What Beebe should have done was provide an instructional video showing "clean" and "dirty" hits, without ambiguousness, prior to the start of the season. Failing to take proactive steps leaves us with this situation, where each individual team is forced to interpret their games as they see fit.

Five games, folks. Five games and we're out of this two-bit conference.

That was a nasty hit!

I don't really see how this one could have been avoided though. He was obviously going for a big hit to try and disrupt the catch - but when he launched himself,the receiver was 2-3 feet above where he was when contact was made. Like Osborne's hit, the offensive player actually came down into the tackle. Had he caught the ball and stayed tall, the tackle would have been made chest high. The reason why Martins was so questionable IMO is because if you watched Martin's feet - he launched himself upward, and his body angle was much more verticle than this guys. Regardless - I'm not really sure how these guys can make shoulder tackles and not lead w/ the head...when their damn head is in front of their shoulder. It's not physically possible...

Of course they have to lead with their head. But they should keep their eyes up and wrap up. This guy had his eyes down, led with the crown of his helmet, and wasn't even trying to wrap up or anything. That's what "targeting" is, and it's dirty, and it should not be part of football. But it's not at all what Martin, Osborne, or Meredith did.

Apparently Osborne won't be penalized, if I'm reading this correctly. It's Tuesday. Nebraska was informed last Monday that the conference was considering suspending Martin last week, and we were given time to prep a response. Apparently that hasn't happened this week:

JournalStar Link

** Pelini said he doesn't anticipate Courtney Osborne being suspended by the Big 12 for his hit on Blaine Gabbert Saturday.

"I assume we would've heard something if there was an issue," Pelini said.

** Nearly the first 10 minutes of the presser was devoted to discussion about officials trying to determine what constitutes legal/safe hits. Credit Pelini for his patience in discussing the issue.

"I was sick of it three weeks ago," he said.

That was a nasty hit!

Of course they have to lead with their head. But they should keep their eyes up and wrap up. This guy had his eyes down, led with the crown of his helmet, and wasn't even trying to wrap up or anything. That's what "targeting" is, and it's dirty, and it should not be part of football. But it's not at all what Martin, Osborne, or Meredith did.

wASN'T THIS RULE INNITIALLY PUT OUT AROUND 1978? To protect the tackler and to try to keep him from compressing his neck vertibre?

"Target your forehead and not the top of your hat" my coach used to say.

Ubben has our backs :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melissa in Nebraska asked: Speaking of Pandora's Box, does Nebraska lose another player to suspension this week? It would be a real shame if they did.

DU: Well, last week kind of came out of nowhere. Nobody was really talking about the play being reviewed. This week, it's the opposite. I'd be surprised if Osborne gets suspended. If he does, I'll be chiming in for sure. Absolutely should not be suspended for that hit.

Robo in Lincoln asked: Do you agree with Tom Shatels assessment "The Big 12 opened Pandora's Box with the suspension of Eric Martin last week" ?

DU: I do. I don't want the league to be looking over a handful of hits every week. Personally, I think suspensions should be reserved solely for dangerous, malicious and illegal hits. There's no doubt in my mind the NFL has heavily influenced this, but nobody in the Big 12 is making the kind of hits James Harrison and Brandon Meriweather made. None even in the same league, really.