Dennard & Martinez injury update

Nexus

Can we win without Martinez though? ISU is going to come out swinging, and they made Zac look downright awful last year. Obviously if Helu runs like he did against Missouri it won't be a problem, but considering that the last time that happened was 1991 I'm not counting on it. I am pretty worried about this game.

What? I think Nile's fumble going into the endzone and all of the other fumbles by the backs looked downright horrible. Zac played OK. Wasn't one of his INTs late in the game?

One was late in the game when they had eight back in coverage, another was a bobbled catch that fell out of the receiver's hands into the defender's.

Laying blame on any one player for that game is misplaced. It was one of the most freaky collections of odd circumstances you'll ever see in a game. The way these turnovers happened, balls bouncing around on player's legs and Niles freakish fumble down the sideline, can only make a person shake their heads.

I agree, but you have to admit that we scored 24 of our 31 points with Martinez in the game and only 7 without him. I realize that Missouri buckled down after the first quarter and they are a very good defense, but still... 7 second half points. This is worrying.

Are you a Husker fan Cheshire? Damn near every post I read of yours is questioning the huskers and how good they are. I have to wonder if you're actually a Husker fan or not. I don't know, that's why I'm asking. But if you are, you have to be the world's most perpetual Husker pessimist.

And yes, I am a huge Husker fan - hence my reason for being on this board for over a year. You might not like my attitude, but I'm guessing Pelini's is something like mine - constantly looking for improvement and addressing concerns. Attitudes like yours are why teams like Iowa State march in topple teams like Texas. You assume it's all a given because it's not a traditionally good team. If you haven't seen how erroneous that line of thinking is by now across college football, you've got some problems.

:yeah

Completely agree with Cheshire. Anything and everything can and will happen in college sports. College football is not like it used to be where the big teams won every game without question. No one thought ISU would come in and beat us last year.

Ok that is the Cubs Fandom coming out in me. Always looking for the bad thing to happen!

GBR baby!

Can we win without Martinez though? ISU is going to come out swinging, and they made Zac look downright awful last year. Obviously if Helu runs like he did against Missouri it won't be a problem, but considering that the last time that happened was 1991 I'm not counting on it. I am pretty worried about this game.

What? I think Nile's fumble going into the endzone and all of the other fumbles by the backs looked downright horrible. Zac played OK. Wasn't one of his INTs late in the game?

One was late in the game when they had eight back in coverage, another was a bobbled catch that fell out of the receiver's hands into the defender's.

Laying blame on any one player for that game is misplaced. It was one of the most freaky collections of odd circumstances you'll ever see in a game. The way these turnovers happened, balls bouncing around on player's legs and Niles freakish fumble down the sideline, can only make a person shake their heads.

I agree, but you have to admit that we scored 24 of our 31 points with Martinez in the game and only 7 without him. I realize that Missouri buckled down after the first quarter and they are a very good defense, but still... 7 second half points. This is worrying.

yep, because NU won't gameplan any differently with Zac Lee as the starter than they would with Martinez, right? I don't care what Shawn Watson says, that game plan will be different. Much less zone read, more power plays, wildcat, playaction.

It will look more like the Holiday Bowl than the Martinez Offense if Lee indeed does start Saturday.

yep, because NU won't gameplan any differently with Zac Lee as the starter than they would with Martinez, right? I don't care what Shawn Watson says, that game plan will be different. Much less zone read, more power plays, wildcat, playaction.

It will look more like the Holiday Bowl than the Martinez Offense if Lee indeed does start Saturday.

Yeah, but in fairness we barely won the Holiday Bowl.

Oh.... wait..... :huh:

I think we steamrolled Missouri by realizing that their weak point was getting run on, and we did that time and time again with Helu, up the middle. Not a lot of zone read and not a lot of passing, compared to previous gameplans we saw. Taylor, honestly, did not do a whole lot, but he did make some sharp passes and has been improving in this area of late. Of course he countered that with some bad mistakes too.

Overall, you're right in the point breakdown but Lee had basically two drives to do anything. The first drive, he/we blew it with a bad throw or two and an offensive holding call. The second drive, Helu scored on the second play or something, and once we had 31 points on the board we put on cruise control and rode Roy and the run game all the way to the victory. We weren't trying to do anything else after that because Bo's tendency seems to be, in big games like this, grab a safe enough lead and cling to it. Zac had what, three runs and throws apiece? In a whole half of play.

Are you a Husker fan Cheshire? Damn near every post I read of yours is questioning the huskers and how good they are. I have to wonder if you're actually a Husker fan or not. I don't know, that's why I'm asking. But if you are, you have to be the world's most perpetual Husker pessimist.

I think we tend to wear too much rose-colored glasses on any Husker forum, that's sort of what you get when everyone's a fan of the team, so it doesn't hurt to question how good we are. On the flip side, I think the appropriation of blame/questioning is, on occasion, misdirected. Just my opinion there. Not a big fan of the "you must think we are awesome to be a good fan" ;)

I thought Lee did a great job with Missou last week and he should do fine vs the Clones. He just needs to "manage" (hand the ball off) the game and he can hack that no sweat.

However, all the apologists garbage thrown at CheshireCat is sickening. Lee played like crap last year and to pretend he didn't is just silly. There's a very good reason Bo started a freshman qb over a returning senior this year. So I guess Bo isn't a fan of NU cfb?

Let's hope so. After Martinez was taken out in the Texas game, I still saw a lot of zone read with Zac. I'm hoping that a week to prepare against a far weaker defense will give us Holiday-Bowl-like results.

Martinez "ready to go"

Posted by: Brian Rosenthal on November 2, 2010 at 6:32PM CST

Taylor Martinez returned to practice on Tuesday and “had a good day,” offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said.

“He did surprisingly well. He threw the ball well today and moved around good,” Watson said. “We were smart with him and will give him more tomorrow and keep practicing him, keep pushing him.”

Martinez sprained his right ankle late in the second half against Missouri and didn’t return. He left the stadium Saturday in a walking boot and didn’t practice Monday.

"He’s done a really good job of working with our training staff,” Watson said, noting Martinez has no swelling or discoloration in his ankle.

“He’s ready to go.”

:corndance

Martinez "ready to go"

Posted by: Brian Rosenthal on November 2, 2010 at 6:32PM CST

Taylor Martinez returned to practice on Tuesday and “had a good day,” offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said.

“He did surprisingly well. He threw the ball well today and moved around good,” Watson said. “We were smart with him and will give him more tomorrow and keep practicing him, keep pushing him.”

Martinez sprained his right ankle late in the second half against Missouri and didn’t return. He left the stadium Saturday in a walking boot and didn’t practice Monday.

"He’s done a really good job of working with our training staff,” Watson said, noting Martinez has no swelling or discoloration in his ankle.

“He’s ready to go.”

:corndance

Great News ....... going to the game and I hope to see a T-mart show.