Dennard & Martinez injury update

Nexus

Can we win without Martinez though? ISU is going to come out swinging, and they made Zac look downright awful last year. Obviously if Helu runs like he did against Missouri it won't be a problem, but considering that the last time that happened was 1991 I'm not counting on it. I am pretty worried about this game.

What? I think Nile's fumble going into the endzone and all of the other fumbles by the backs looked downright horrible. Zac played OK. Wasn't one of his INTs late in the game?

Can we win without Martinez though? ISU is going to come out swinging, and they made Zac look downright awful last year. Obviously if Helu runs like he did against Missouri it won't be a problem, but considering that the last time that happened was 1991 I'm not counting on it. I am pretty worried about this game.

What? I think Nile's fumble going into the endzone and all of the other fumbles by the backs looked downright horrible. Zac played OK. Wasn't one of his INTs late in the game?

I know that most of the problem wasn't his fault, but he did throw a few picks if I remember. Either way, passing for whatever reason didn't go so well. I know that was a different year, but still... history can repeat itself. We can't take Iowa State lightly as they scored on and beat the team we couldn't. I guess I'm concerned because on the few occasions Lee has been in, I've seen flashbacks of last year. Helu took the load against Missouri and saved the day, but that might not happen again, and if it doesn't it'll be up to Lee to lead the offense.

One was late in the game when they had eight back in coverage, another was a bobbled catch that fell out of the receiver's hands into the defender's.

Laying blame on any one player for that game is misplaced. It was one of the most freaky collections of odd circumstances you'll ever see in a game. The way these turnovers happened, balls bouncing around on player's legs and Niles freakish fumble down the sideline, can only make a person shake their heads.

FWIW, Zac threw three picks in that game. One was a tipped ball from a receiver who should have caught it, with 2:59 to go in the fourth and us needing a score. One was on a last ditch effort on 4th and 10, with 1:36 to go in the 4th at the end of the game. And one of was the flukiest interception you'll ever see. Out of Mcneil's hands, bounced around, into Helu's hands and juggled out into an Iowa State defender, or something crazy like that.

The last pick, the whole team was probably rattled, but that was a bad decision and a bad throw by Zac as it was straight to the receiver's hands. The other two, one was on the receiver and one was just an incredible fluke. Amazing that we had so many chances that game, but couldn't execute anything. Two picks as we were driving for a game-winning score in the closing quarter.

If you want to relive them, and the other five from that game...

• Fire 1

One was late in the game when they had eight back in coverage, another was a bobbled catch that fell out of the receiver's hands into the defender's.

Laying blame on any one player for that game is misplaced. It was one of the most freaky collections of odd circumstances you'll ever see in a game. The way these turnovers happened, balls bouncing around on player's legs and Niles freakish fumble down the sideline, can only make a person shake their heads.

I agree, but you have to admit that we scored 24 of our 31 points with Martinez in the game and only 7 without him. I realize that Missouri buckled down after the first quarter and they are a very good defense, but still... 7 second half points. This is worrying.

I agree, but you have to admit that we scored 24 of our 31 points with Martinez in the game and only 7 without him. I realize that Missouri buckled down after the first quarter and they are a very good defense, but still... 7 second half points. This is worrying.

You're right about the points, and you're right in implying that nobody is going to confuse Zac with Taylor anytime soon. Taylor is clearly better. But as Zoogies pointed out in his post between ours, those INTs last year are hard to pin on Lee.

To add a caveat to this year, Lee had only played a few plays all year prior to Saturday, so the fact that he was rusty wasn't a surprise. He played fine, though, and that pass to Reed was a thing of beauty. Gabbert couldn't have thrown it better.

With a week to know he's the starter I would figure we'll see a very different Zac Lee against ISU (if that's how it plays out).

Are you a Husker fan Cheshire? Damn near every post I read of yours is questioning the huskers and how good they are. I have to wonder if you're actually a Husker fan or not. I don't know, that's why I'm asking. But if you are, you have to be the world's most perpetual Husker pessimist.

Are you a Husker fan Cheshire? Damn near every post I read of yours is questioning the huskers and how good they are. I have to wonder if you're actually a Husker fan or not. I don't know, that's why I'm asking. But if you are, you have to be the world's most perpetual Husker pessimist.

It doesn't matter what his expectations are. It only matters whether he roots for Nebraska. Plus I think it's better to keep your hopes in check (if the last decade has taught me anything).

Well you probably thought we'd steamroll Texas too, didn't you? How'd that arrogant optimism work out? Have you noticed that the team plays better with a chip on their shoulder, when there is a good chance they might lose, when they have something to prove? Basically, when there's a doubt about them.

And don't talk to me about being a fan. If you don't like what I post then don't read what I write and don't reply to it. I'm not here to please you or prove anything to you. My concerns are legitimate and level-headed, and if that's over your head or too much for you to handle, then tough sh#t. I didn't say we were going to lose, I didn't say the world was ending, I brought up a very real concern about the guy that started last year, is now a senior, and was surpassed by a redshirt freshman. There was a reason for that, and that's what I'm addressing. And if you haven't noticed, we haven't played all - or even most - of our games like we did against Missouri. We are inconsistent and sloppy at times, and without Martinez I think there is reason for concern.

If these concerns bother you, pop some more Paxil and go pump some sunshine.

• Fire 1

And yes, I am a huge Husker fan - hence my reason for being on this board for over a year. You might not like my attitude, but I'm guessing Pelini's is something like mine - constantly looking for improvement and addressing concerns. Attitudes like yours are why teams like Iowa State march in topple teams like Texas. You assume it's all a given because it's not a traditionally good team. If you haven't seen how erroneous that line of thinking is by now across college football, you've got some problems.

• Fire 1

You're right about the points, and you're right in implying that nobody is going to confuse Zac with Taylor anytime soon. Taylor is clearly better. But as Zoogies pointed out in his post between ours, those INTs last year are hard to pin on Lee.

To add a caveat to this year, Lee had only played a few plays all year prior to Saturday, so the fact that he was rusty wasn't a surprise. He played fine, though, and that pass to Reed was a thing of beauty. Gabbert couldn't have thrown it better.

With a week to know he's the starter I would figure we'll see a very different Zac Lee against ISU (if that's how it plays out).

not to mention th zacs job against mu was to chew clock. he basically only had a half to work with, and we could have scored at the end of the game. 14 points per half will get us a win saturday. and lets not confuse MU's and ISU's defense.

Besides the three picks Zac had some bad throws, made poor decisions, and didn't even see a lot of open receivers. He played like crap against ISU last year, plain and simple. Was it all his fault we lost? Obviously not. But still, you can try to justify the INTs all you want, he played like crap.

That being said, I'm sure he'd love a chance to redeem himself. We'll need Taylor down the stretch, I wouldn't mind if they sat him.

Besides the three picks Zac had some bad throws, made poor decisions, and didn't even see a lot of open receivers. He played like crap against ISU last year, plain and simple. Was it all his fault we lost? Obviously not. But still, you can try to justify the INTs all you want, he played like crap.

That being said, I'm sure he'd love a chance to redeem himself. We'll need Taylor down the stretch, I wouldn't mind if they sat him.

Lest we all forget his elbow injury last season.......

he certainly wasnt peyton manning......college QB's miss people. it certainly wasnt his best game, but he wasnt anywhere near as bad as you guys are making it out to be. if our guys just hold onto the ball he is completing around 60% of his passes for almost 300 yards. if one were to list the problems that day zac should be at the bottom of that list.