Brent Musburger

husker07

I just hate that the fact that every hit me make is a bad hit. WTF? Ive seen more harder hits this season from other teams that knoe one is talking about what about the hit that the usc player did early on this year against hawaii ? That hit was more of a iilegal hit then the osu game by far.

With all the talk about how much Ed Cunningham and how he is now the most hated announcer in Nebraska, even more so than Brent Musburger, it got me wondering. I was somehow ingrained with a hate of Musburger I think from my parents/relatives and I don't know why. Maybe I'm too young to remember, but was there any specific incident why Nebraska fans dislike him?

IIRC: When Musburger was at CBS, he called the 1986 OU-NU game (maybe it was 1987), and he kept getting the name of our punter wrong. He kept calling John Kroeker "Jeff Kroeker." Someone in the press box (a local spotter or press guy) had to correct him - twice. On the second time, he snapped back, "I don't like to be corrected."

The relationship between the school and Brent kind of soured after this incident:

Lincoln police cite Brent Musburger on alcohol charge

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — ABC Sports' play-by-play man Brent Musburger was cited by Lincoln police Saturday evening for having an open container of alcohol in a vehicle and drinking from it, a police captain said Sunday.

Capt. Allen Soukup said Musburger was cited at 6:10 p.m. Saturday on a public street just west of Memorial Stadium. Musburger was a passenger in the car and was drinking a beer, Soukup said — a Budweiser.

Musburger, 66, had just finished broadcasting the Huskers' game against the University of Pittsburgh.

He was one of several people who were cited for similar alcohol offenses Saturday, Soukup said.

The fine, if Musburger chooses not to fight the citation, is $144, the captain said.

Efforts to reach Musburger through ABC Sports headquarters in New York were unsuccessful.

An ABC Sports spokesman did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press.

yeah, of all things a damn Bud, the guy shows no class, not even in the beer he drinks!

The '98 Texas game was the tipping point for me. Sure, it was a huge upset, and the end of the winning streak at home, but he announced as though Ricky Williams was his firstborn. "Ricky-Ricky-Ricky to the 40, Ricky to the Ricky 35!"

However he did seem to be pulling for us vs. the cows in '06, just tells me he pulls for the underdog. Jackson never did that. It's not good broadcasting.

Cunningham is an idiot. He's on this self-professed crusade to 'clean up' football, and I guess he feels he can do it from the broadcast booth. That's freaking stupid if you ask me. Just call the game, dude. We don't want to hear about how bad the big-meanie Huskers pick on the poor little opponents.

With all the talk about how much Ed Cunningham and how he is now the most hated announcer in Nebraska, even more so than Brent Musburger, it got me wondering. I was somehow ingrained with a hate of Musburger I think from my parents/relatives and I don't know why. Maybe I'm too young to remember, but was there any specific incident why Nebraska fans dislike him?

IIRC: When Musburger was at CBS, he called the 1986 OU-NU game (maybe it was 1987), and he kept getting the name of our punter wrong. He kept calling John Kroeker "Jeff Kroeker." Someone in the press box (a local spotter or press guy) had to correct him - twice. On the second time, he snapped back, "I don't like to be corrected."

I didn't hear all of the details, but did hear that he snapped at a spotter and the producer told the spotter not to talk to "Mr. Musberger" directly, but to go through him, and if he felt that "Mr. Musberger" needed to know about it, he would tell him.