Big Ten division names ... Any ideas?

Big Ten division names ... Any ideas?

Posted by: Steve Sipple at 8:07AM CST on November 3,2010

We We take a short break from heated Big 12 football divisional races for divisional discussion of another sort.

Big Ten officials are in the midst of mulling names for the league's new divisions.

Commissioner Jim Delany tells The Chicago Tribune he wants the names to "conjure up the right feelings in people -- a positive, emotional response."

Someone suggested "Stars" and "Stripes."

"Not bad," Delany replied. "Good suggestion. It's there with everything else."

Big Ten officials are reluctant to use either geography or the names of legendary conference coaches or athletes that would represent just two schools.

According to The Tribune, Delany set an original goal of Dec. 1 to unveil the divisional names, plus a new logo that will reflect the 12-team Big Ten. But he said last week he might need an extra 60 days to do the job right.

"I would like for there to be some enthusiasm beyond mine," Delany said of a new logo. "It has to be accepted and adopted and implemented by everyone. It's not a logo that I'm going to wear on my T-shirt. It's a mark that will be on their fields."

As for those division names, any ideas?

And if you want to sketch a logo idea, go for it.

Link: LJS Blog

Yeah, stars and stripes is awful. Stripes sounds like the convicts conference. If you want to do something patriotic, go with something like Liberty and Patriot. Probably lame, but better than Stars & Stripes.

I saw Great Lakes and Great Plains suggested, which isn't bad, except that Michigan, the namesake of the state I associate most with the great lakes, would be in the Great Plains.

Yeah, stars and stripes is awful. Stripes sounds like the convicts conference. If you want to do something patriotic, go with something like Liberty and Patriot. Probably lame, but better than Stars & Stripes.

I saw Great Lakes and Great Plains suggested, which isn't bad, except that Michigan, the namesake of the state I associate most with the great lakes, would be in the Great Plains.

i thought great plains and great lakes was a good idea too...forgot about the michigan problem

Mining and Agriculture, High speed cable and dial up, mechanical vs horse and buggy, dog owners and cat owners, muskets and bow and arrows, cowboy hats and stove pipe hats, shirts and skirts, flying carp and catfish, Betty White and Beau Arthur, combine and cane (harvesters), sugar vs corn, grouse and cranes, frontiersman and pilgrims, steamship and paddle wheelers- just to name a few

Honestly, seeing all these names- they are more like team names you'd come up with for big family reunions or youth group contests. If they do anything besides geography I think in a few months it will seem so corny and dumb they will wish they just went with east/west.

The only one that will work otherwise: Shirts & Skins