Get Ready...

Actually we only need to beat 2 of our last 3 unless missouri loses again then we only need to win 1 and we'd be in the ccg and have to win that for a guaranteed bcs game.

if we win the next three games, but lose the big 12 championship game (maybe to a one loss okie st.) do we still get to a bcs game?

Probably not. Too many quality at-large possibilities this season.

Pitt would probably smash South Dakota State- let's take care of business first. Any BCS would be great for our program. I want Big 12 crown first- right next to that bell would be a good place.

what does that have to do with anything? the transitive property does not work in college football.

Also I see Boise possibly not making a BCS bowl in some of these scenarios. After one non-BCS team (TCU) in this example gets selected, these rules become meaningless. These roles only guaranteed the highest rated non-BCS team that meets these qualifications will make it.

If Boise stays in the top 4, they'll make it under the rule that #3 and then #4 make it if there is still a spot open.

No, that only applies to the highest ranked non-AQ. Once TCU is in, Boise is not guaranteed anything.

Wrong. Boise will get an automatic berth because they will be ranked in the top 12, and won their conference.

Nebraska will play the Big East Champ, no matter what. Why does anyone think that NC State might play us? The only way NC State gets in is if they win the ACC...meaning they would play in the ORANGE BOWL.

Big 12 vs Big East in the Fiesta this year, guaranteed...

I'm sorry folks but if you want Nebraska to have a good bowl matchup, our best bet would be to lose the CCG and then we could play Bama or Arky in the cotton bowl...but i would much rather win the big 12 and leave it saying F U to Dan Beebe and Texas.

From collegebcs.com, which is not an official source but Jerry Palm knows this stuff better than anyone:

Which teams are eligible for BCS bowls?

The automatic qualification standards are not the same for all teams. The teams are divided into four groups: automatic qualifying (AQ) conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac Ten, SEC), non-automatic qualifying conferences (C-USA, MAC, Mtn West, Sun Belt, WAC), Notre Dame, and other independents.

There are ten spots in the five BCS bowl games (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and the title game). No conference may place more than two teams in the BCS games, with one exception. If an AQ conference has the top two teams in the standings, but neither is the champion, then those two teams play for the BCS title as at-large teams, and the champion participates as well. This interpretation was changed in the 2008 season. The old interpretation was that the champion would not participate to keep the two-team limit in place.

1. The top two teams in the rankings. Those teams are assigned to the title game.

2. AQ conference champions, regardless of ranking.

3. The highest-rated champion of a non-AQ conference if it either ranks in the top 12 or is ranked in the top 16 and also ranked ahead of one of the champions of an AQ conference.

4. Notre Dame, if it finishes in the top eight.

5. The #3 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.

6. The #4 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot and no team qualifies under rule 5.

If there are still open spots after all that, then any team can be selected by a BCS bowl if it:

# Has 9 wins against I-A opponents (teams may count one I-AA win toward that total), and is rated in the top 14 of the BCS standings, or

# Is a non-AQ conference champion and meets the qualification standard in #3, but was not the highest-rated team to do so.

If, because of conflicts with two-team-per-conference limit, there are not enough teams in the at-large pool to fill the bowl openings, the pool will be expanded down the BCS standings by four teams. Teams must still have nine wins to be considered. If that still fails, the process will be repeated until the bowls are filled.

Note that for independents not named Notre Dame, the only way to automatically qualify is to finish #1 or #2.

Also, the #3 provision only applies to the champions of the non-AQ leagues. That means, for example, if TCU were to finish 11-1, but have that loss be to Utah, which is 8-4 overall, but 8-0 in Mtn West play, then TCU could not automatically qualify under rule #3 no matter how high it is ranked.

----

Note that rule #3 says "the highest-rated champion", not "all" non-AQ conference champions in the top 12 (or even the top 4, as I erroneously thought).

Also note the provision for the #1 and #2 teams being in the same conference but neither being the conference champ, which should put to bed any notion that you have to be the conference champion to play in the championship game.

From collegebcs.com, which is not an official source but Jerry Palm knows this stuff better than anyone:

Which teams are eligible for BCS bowls?

The automatic qualification standards are not the same for all teams. The teams are divided into four groups: automatic qualifying (AQ) conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac Ten, SEC), non-automatic qualifying conferences (C-USA, MAC, Mtn West, Sun Belt, WAC), Notre Dame, and other independents.

There are ten spots in the five BCS bowl games (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and the title game). No conference may place more than two teams in the BCS games, with one exception. If an AQ conference has the top two teams in the standings, but neither is the champion, then those two teams play for the BCS title as at-large teams, and the champion participates as well. This interpretation was changed in the 2008 season. The old interpretation was that the champion would not participate to keep the two-team limit in place.

1. The top two teams in the rankings. Those teams are assigned to the title game.

2. AQ conference champions, regardless of ranking.

3. The highest-rated champion of a non-AQ conference if it either ranks in the top 12 or is ranked in the top 16 and also ranked ahead of one of the champions of an AQ conference.

4. Notre Dame, if it finishes in the top eight.

5. The #3 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.

6. The #4 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot and no team qualifies under rule 5.

If there are still open spots after all that, then any team can be selected by a BCS bowl if it:

# Has 9 wins against I-A opponents (teams may count one I-AA win toward that total), and is rated in the top 14 of the BCS standings, or

# Is a non-AQ conference champion and meets the qualification standard in #3, but was not the highest-rated team to do so.

If, because of conflicts with two-team-per-conference limit, there are not enough teams in the at-large pool to fill the bowl openings, the pool will be expanded down the BCS standings by four teams. Teams must still have nine wins to be considered. If that still fails, the process will be repeated until the bowls are filled.

Note that for independents not named Notre Dame, the only way to automatically qualify is to finish #1 or #2.

Also, the #3 provision only applies to the champions of the non-AQ leagues. That means, for example, if TCU were to finish 11-1, but have that loss be to Utah, which is 8-4 overall, but 8-0 in Mtn West play, then TCU could not automatically qualify under rule #3 no matter how high it is ranked.

----

Note that rule #3 says "the highest-rated champion", not "all" non-AQ conference champions in the top 12 (or even the top 4, as I erroneously thought).

Also note the provision for the #1 and #2 teams being in the same conference but neither being the conference champ, which should put to bed any notion that you have to be the conference champion to play in the championship game.

So what is the difference between Boise and TCU getting in last year and now this year they are projecting Boise to be left out? Don't think so, there is NO WAY boise gets left out if they are undefeated. They may not be "promised" anything, but the fact they beat VaTech is good enough for me that they deserve in a BCS Bowl.

BCS Standings Show was tonight and Robert Smith said it best. The SEC is not the conference it used to be. Georgia got beat by a Colorado Buffalo team that is winless in conference play, and has a loss to KU.

After watching that show tonight, and seeing the past few years go by, I can only conclude that the only way to settle ANYTHING the right way is to do it right like EVERY OTHER SPORT does. A playoff system.

As a Nebraska fan that doesn't want to see us play Pittsburgh, I would rather try our hand as an 8 seed playing #1 Oregon in the first round.

I just don't see TCU losing. LSU's only shot is if Auburn loses twice (not gonna happen). I think LSU will lose to Arkansas anyway. If Oregon loses to Oregon State, and Auburn loses to Bama, and Nebraska runs the table and beats A&M and Oklahoma/OSU, I think they'll jump Boise and Stanford.

After watching that show tonight, and seeing the past few years go by, I can only conclude that the only way to settle ANYTHING the right way is to do it right like EVERY OTHER SPORT does. A playoff system.

I don't know if this is a long-held belief or if you're a recent convert, but welcome aboard the playoff train, brother! The BCS is a parasite on college football.

And to the thread (nobody in particular) - I haven no problem playing Pittsburgh, or whomever the Big East champ is. After playing the toughest possible bowl game for decades, getting a cupcake one time isn't going to be the death of this team. SOMEBODY will play the Big East champ. May as well be us. No injuries, easy win, high ranking, high-profile game, big money. If we're not playing for the MNC, I have no problem with this scenario.

If we play Pitt in a BCS bowl game, I'm ok with that.

We'd probably crush them, which I'm ok with. It's our last year in the Big XII anyways, so if we go out with a mauling of an inferior team, then so be it.

Next year, we're gonna have a brutal schedule, and if we kick butt there, then we'll have something.

I don't know if this is a long-held belief or if you're a recent convert, but welcome aboard the playoff train, brother! The BCS is a parasite on college football.

And to the thread (nobody in particular) - I haven no problem playing Pittsburgh, or whomever the Big East champ is. After playing the toughest possible bowl game for decades, getting a cupcake one time isn't going to be the death of this team. SOMEBODY will play the Big East champ. May as well be us. No injuries, easy win, high ranking, high-profile game, big money. If we're not playing for the MNC, I have no problem with this scenario.

Normally we're paying schools for easy wins like that. At least for this one we get a good TV spot and loads of $$$$$$$$$$$$

to the original question.

there is a chance as long as there are still games left to be played...chances of all those teams ahead of us losing? eh I'd give it a 5% chance.

We'll be playing Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl.

Don't be so sure of that... we still have a couple of tough games ahead of us. If we run the table and lose the Big 12 Championship game, no way would we get an at-large bid. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see us in the Cotton or something similar.