Cody Green Not Dual Threat

I think he is definately in the dual threat category, however he is not very good at the zone-read part of the game is also not a very strong thrower (accurate i should say). I think he would be better served in a shotgun spread throwing offense rather than a shotgun zone-read offense. Cody would likely thrive in an offense like Missouri's or TTech where he could bolt once the receivers get downfield. Cody just cant run in traffic, it is difficult for a guy his size to slash and juke his way through the line or around it without getting tripped up. I think we got him because we wanted to dual threat, however we didnt really know which direction we wanted to go with the offense quite yet Oregon style dual-threat or Mizzou style dual-threat, hence we gave Zenitram the chance to try out at QB. Now it appears we are obviously going for a more Oregon style and Green will likely be lost in the shuffle and wont really pan out. I hate telling a kid to transfer but if he wants legitimate shot at playing he will need to find an offensive style that is more condusive to his skill set.

I agree with that entirely, he would work much better in a spread style of offense, ours just doesn't fit his abilities. I hope it's not too late for him to switch positions because I think he has the potential to be a lot better at a different position.

Me and some buddies at the ISU game were talking about Cody and that it

looks like he is slower now then when he got on campus. He sure isn't

any faster. Nothing against him but after this year he should not see

the field period.

Cody is just a pure straight-line runner. When he has to move laterally or plant his foot in the ground, he runs more like a DT. Pretty painful to watch.

You can go back to the ISU game and watch some of his middle runs and see how fast he was getting into the hole. But anytime he had to run wide, it was pathetic to watch.

One instance in particular down near the goal line (in the 3rd, IIRC) and he kept the ball around end, which looked like it should have been an easy TD. Cody gets tackled from behind with no one in front of him.

All I thought about when that happened is Taylor would be in 1st gear and cruising into the end-zone right now.

I think C Green is a TRUE dual threat. Every time he touches the ball i am scared to death he will either fumble, or throw a terrible pick. Hence the dual threat. Get well soon please T Mart.....

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

I read an article that mentioned something about him transfering, instead of that I think he should move to TE.

I think C Green is a TRUE dual threat. Every time he touches the ball i am scared to death he will either fumble, or throw a terrible pick. Hence the dual threat. Get well soon please T Mart.....

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

I read an article that mentioned something about him transfering, instead of that I think he should move to TE.

I think he could fit in at TE. I dont really see him as a gamechanger at QB

Me and some buddies at the ISU game were talking about Cody and that it

looks like he is slower now then when he got on campus. He sure isn't

any faster. Nothing against him but after this year he should not see

the field period.

Cody is just a pure straight-line runner. When he has to move laterally or plant his foot in the ground, he runs more like a DT. Pretty painful to watch.

You can go back to the ISU game and watch some of his middle runs and see how fast he was getting into the hole. But anytime he had to run wide, it was pathetic to watch.

One instance in particular down near the goal line (in the 3rd, IIRC) and he kept the ball around end, which looked like it should have been an easy TD. Cody gets tackled from behind with no one in front of him.

All I thought about when that happened is Taylor would be in 1st gear and cruising into the end-zone right now.

Yep, Cody center of gravity is just too high, and he runs like it. Line him an Taylor up side by side on a track, and Cody would probably beat him. But put them on a field in pads, and Taylor makes him look like he's in quicksand. Cody was brought in to run an offense more like what Ganz ran than what we're running now. By bringing dual tight end sets in and crowding the box IMO we're actually playing against Cody's strengths of spreading the field and allowing him to make quick, short throws and run more in space. But that's our offense now, so that's what we'll get. Cody also doesn't get a true chance in the zone read, 90% of those calls are made in the huddle when he's in the game whether he pulls or gives.

I think if Starling makes it to campus next year it will be the same scenario where Turner is the smaller, shiftier player and Bubba is the more straight line kind of kid.

A redshirt year would have been huge for Cody, something that Taylor got.

Taylor is a guy that is a dual threat in similar fashion (both are more 'single threats' on the ground). But, Taylor is a much more electric runner, and that has opened up the passing to him in ways that it hasn't for Green. Taylor is probably not even as good a passer as Green, which puts him at 4th on the team at best - but you wouldn't ever know that by the statistics, because he is really being maximized. That's a credit to the system that takes advantage of the real threat he brings with his feet. We've seen some real solid passing production-to-talent ratio out of Taylor, IMO.

Tmart is by far our best passer.

Sorry zoogies, but you can still say Lee is still the best at...well, handing off?

I know the answer to this as I am a coaches son but what the heck...

If we have sufficient depth at QB next year, why doesn't Cody redshirt?

Also, I agree with jlher on this one

Also, we aren't running an offense anymore that suits his maximum ability.

Also, like skers, lol.

I know the answer to this as I am a coaches son but what the heck...

If we have sufficient depth at QB next year, why doesn't Cody redshirt?

Also, I agree with jlher on this one

Also, we aren't running an offense anymore that suits his maximum ability.

Also, like skers, lol.

I don't think Cody redshirts unless he changes positions, even then, I doubt he does. Cody will do whatever is best for the team, and has a great attitude. You would love to have a roster full of kids like Cody Green with his attitude.

He's still a soph and has contributed, even if he's not a game changer. So it's not like he's a total flop of a recruit by any means, at least IMO. I'm disappointed he's not done better, but I'm also surprised Martinez has shined (shone?) so brightly. You can't really expect to hit the jackpot on 2 QB recruits from the same class.

I'm not really sure what a red shirt year buys us, or him. He'll still almost certainly be behind Martinez every year. Next year he'll be our most experienced backup, so if Martinez does go down, he's the likely one to go in. That's a reason to not redshirt him, or move him to tight end, where we have more depth than QB. Plus, if he's not going to be an impact player, I'd rather he move on in 5 years rather than 4, to free up a schollie.

As far as why it wasn't easy to see how he'd struggle based on HS film, think about the NFL draft. They get to see players at a much higher level, and also get to take them through stiff workouts, something colleges cannot do to HS recruits. There are still huge flops, like Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, and so on. And big surprises like Kurt Warner.

He's still a soph and has contributed, even if he's not a game changer. So it's not like he's a total flop of a recruit by any means, at least IMO. I'm disappointed he's not done better, but I'm also surprised Martinez has shined (shone?) so brightly. You can't really expect to hit the jackpot on 2 QB recruits from the same class.

That's a good way of looking at it. Makes sense to me!