Of our 16 penalties...

Landlord

Except the Cotton kicking referenc...If you scroll up about 3 posts and watch the youtube video of the play, you will actually see Cotton being grabbed and YES, he was kicking at the guy who grabbed him, not kicking at some innocent player.

Wow ok hadn't watched a replay on that before I posted. That did look pretty bad. I still say there's better ways he could have handled it (this is coming from someone who was once called for a PF after someone in a pile intentionally stabbed me in the eye with their ghetto crack-nail) but I do definitely understand the reaction.

Also for clarification me saying Bo probably needs to calm down is coming more from an experience going down that road standpoint than criticism standpoint, otherwise I'd be throwing stones while living in a glass house. I know I definitely don't have the restraint to be a college football head coach or an NBA head coach.

Like I said I don't think many Aggies know how to react to getting what would normally be a great win, but doing it with some terrible reffing. I don't think I've ever experienced this before. Anyway sorry for the crappy reffing in our final conference game and good luck to you guys. Hope you boat-race OSU or OU in the Big 12 Championship game and then give Beebee and DeLoss (tu AD) a large, red middle finger as you leave the Tiny 10 Conference. Then I hope we follow ya'll out soon.

My questions/commments on the calls (for what my opnion is worth)

Cotton's penalties--understandable, you'd like him to control himself better, but lets be honest, most everyone here would have reacted the same way. And it's almost always the reaction that gets seen and gets the call.

The PI's--Dennard's was close, could have gone eitehr way, but in a game this physcical, probably one to let go. That being said, if one offical throws a PI flag on A&M, how does it get picked up, it's a judgement call, you don't overturn a subjective judgement call.

The roughing the passer was the bad one, it changed the game.

What are the illegal formations. At this stage of the season, how does that happen?

My questions/commments on the calls (for what my opnion is worth)

Cotton's penalties--understandable, you'd like him to control himself better, but lets be honest, most everyone here would have reacted the same way. And it's almost always the reaction that gets seen and gets the call.

The PI's--Dennard's was close, could have gone eitehr way, but in a game this physcical, probably one to let go. That being said, if one offical throws a PI flag on A&M, how does it get picked up, it's a judgement call, you don't overturn a subjective judgement call.

The roughing the passer was the bad one, it changed the game.

What are the illegal formations. At this stage of the season, how does that happen?

On the picked up PI call.... To me once you have decided to throw the flag on the play you(the ref) have decided that a foul has happened. Once you go back and pick up the flag saying there was no penalty or foul without explanation or reason then you have lost all credibility as an offical.

I was going to say at some point you have to start holding the coaches responsible but for me actually that point has long since passed. Time to make changes. Period.

And what "changes" do you want, oh Oracle of College Football?

Did somebody say something?

I didn't think so...

I'm waiting. Sack up. Don't throw something so useless out there and not back it up.

I didn't appreciate the smart alec comment. Capisce? Learn how to talk to people and maybe you'll get the results you so desire.

And I don't appreciate people talking as though they know what "changes" can or need to be made to something when they haven't demonstrated the slightest bit of understanding WHAT can or should be changed.

Sorry coach...

HJosh really has a point. You are looking foolish after posting that having nothing to back it up with. Its a message board, deal with the criticism.

Landlord,

To your actual topic- I think the "2 late hits, can't remember who" were Pass Interference calls.

Cotton's penalty unfortunately happens- refs miss the first attack and flag the 2nd. I can't say I would've acted different. The 2nd one was avoidable but I can't help but wonder if the team is reflecting their head coach when they go after the officials. Refs made a bad call, lack of discipline made it worse.

The false starts were to be expected in that environment. I knew we'd have a couple going in.

The illegal formations are completely unacceptable!! WTF!!! Get them lined up right coaches!!

Holding is gonna happen. The fact that only our team holds is a baffling new Big12 phenomena.

The intentional grounding is also a discipline issue. You can't just blindly throw the ball. We're lucky that wasn't picked. We've seen that happen other times this year and it needs to be stopped.

The Osbourn roughing the passer was BS and a game changing call.

The Pass Interference calls were OK I guess. The one on Dennard really was close. The fact that they were both on 3rd down made them hurt worse.

Bo's penalty just shouldn't happen. I can't say I would behave better with that screw job but it shouldn't happen.

Martin's 2 penalties- I don't know? We never got replays. Why? It is hard to believe that after getting suspended that he is out there screwing up on kick coverage twice in one game? Although maybe he really is a physical undisciplined player? The fact that there was no replay helps feed the conspiracy.

SO, yeah, some is discipline. I've thought the offense has been lacking discipline for a while now- fumbles, penalties, dropped passes.

Side note- I am one of the people that mocks the "Bo needs to chill out" threads but last night was over the top. Not as much at the officials but the time he lit up Martinez. I don't get it and it looked bizarre and poor.

The side line reporter said that the coaches order TM to take a cart to the dressing room to check the ankle and he said no and walked. BO I believe was making a statement do what your told and that you are a big part of the O and we are not taking chances with you.But I agree it should be done in private

This was posted in a comment on Bleacher Report:

Charting Penalties:

1st Half:

(NU) 1st quarter (9:20)-personal foul, late hit

-obvious late hit

(NU) 1st quarter (9:04)-false start, FG

-obvious movement before snap, kick good

(NU) 1st quarter(2:36)-personal foul and unsportsman like conduct

-look we've all seen the video, crap happens at the bottem of the pile,

why would Pelini have been so pissed at his player if didn't think it was

stupid.

(A&M) 1st quarter (14:01)-false starte, clear call

(NU) 2nd quarter (12:34)-false start, clear call

(NU) 2nd quarter (8:58)-personal foul, no replay is given and penalty is not seen in regular action

(NU) 2nd quarter (8:53)-illegal formation, left (and maybe right) guard(s) were basically in the backfield (for pulling purposes)

(NU) 2nd quarter (8:05)-holding, Lucas Patterson gets hauled to the ground on the play

(NU) 2nd quarter (2:26)-holding, 68 is beat and pulls down inside rusher

A&M: 1 for 5 yards

NU: 9 for 95

2nd Half:

(NU) 3rd quarter (12:22)-false start, right tackels cleary jumps

(NU) 3rd quarter (7:27)-illegal formation, no clear replay b/c of camera man checking out cheerleaders

(A&M) 3rd quarter (4:55)-personal foul, late action after interception

(NU) 3rd quarter (2:57)-pass interference, early contact before pass gets to Stephens

(NU) 3rd quarter (1:48)-pass interference, contact on the back shoulder to Fuller, both were hand checking but defenerder grabbed

(NU) 4th quarter (14:33)-personal foul, no clear replay (#46, had multiple personal fouls on him)

(NU) 4th quarter (14:33)-unsportsman like conduct, NU bench (Pelini)....refs had enough

(NU) 4th quarter (5:52)-personal foul roughing the passer, pretty much the only clear BS call of the game

(NU) 4th quarter (1:50)-intentional grounding, in the dirt and in the pocket and no one near the pass, clear call

A&M: 1 for 15 yards

NU: 8 for 95

I would agree that most of our penalties were earned or close enough that I can't really argue them (like the PI call). But we also need an analysis of the calls not made against A&M. I rarely pull the "you called that on us" cry because no two plays are the same, but A&M had a block after the whistle that looked identical to the one we were called on, but no penalty. Holding is tough because we didn't get too many good camera looks and it is missed a lot, but there were a couple that looked pretty clear to me, one of them in their end zone. And the picked up flag--maybe it wouldn't have been a good PI call, but I've just never seen a flag picked up on a judgment call like that. Really, really suspicious.

Charting Penalties:

1st Half:

-obvious late hit

stupid.

(NU) 2nd quarter (8:58)-personal foul, no replay is given and penalty is not seen in regular action

(NU) 2nd quarter (8:53)-illegal formation, left (and maybe right) guard(s) were basically in the backfield (for pulling purposes)

(NU) 2nd quarter (8:05)-holding, Lucas Patterson gets hauled to the ground on the play

2nd Half:

(NU) 3rd quarter (7:27)-illegal formation, no clear replay b/c of camera man checking out cheerleaders

(NU) 3rd quarter (2:57)-pass interference, early contact before pass gets to Stephens

(NU) 3rd quarter (1:48)-pass interference, contact on the back shoulder to Fuller, both were hand checking but defenerder grabbed

(NU) 4th quarter (14:33)-personal foul, no clear replay (#46, had multiple personal fouls on him)

(NU) 4th quarter (14:33)-unsportsman like conduct, NU bench (Pelini)....refs had enough

(NU) 4th quarter (5:52)-personal foul roughing the passer, pretty much the only clear BS call of the game

(NU) 4th quarter (1:50)-intentional grounding, in the dirt and in the pocket and no one near the pass, clear call

This says it all. The multiple personal fouls were never viewed, but because it's Eric Martin and because he kept racking up phantom fouls, they just assume it's legit. It's self-perpetuating.

I get frustrated every time somebody says, "Well I'm sure it didn't help that Bo was berating the officials the whole game." In my gut, I feel that this actually had a bigger impact on the way the game was officiated than any season-long conspiracy. I'm sure it's why Osborne got the roughing the passer call and why the DPI that would have put us 1st and goal was picked up. I suspect it's why Martin picked up two PF's for physical play, but nobody saw what happened so I can't be sure. I also suspect it's why A&M had only two penalties in a game where the stripes were clearly not afraid to throw flags. 16-2 is one hell of a statistical outlier, one that can't be explained by "NU just being undisciplined." A&M is "undisciplined," too. Just look at the season penalty totals.

But here's the thing: Bo yelling at the officials does not excuse the way the game was officiated. It's unprofessional to skew the way you are making calls just because a coach is riding your ass. You call the game as you see it, regardless of what a coach is saying to you, because that's what a PROFESSIONAL does. And the more you blow calls on purpose, the more that coach is going to get in your ear. If you have a problem with the way a coach is treating you, talk to him and give him a warning. Throw a flag on him. Throw two flags on him. But what you DON'T do is tilt the playing field to the disadvantage of that coach's players. He's the problem, not the safety blitzing the QB on the most critical 3rd down of the game.

Furthermore, the ref on Bo's sideline didn't even acknowledge him most of the time. Just straight ignored him. Why do you think he yelled louder and louder? I'm not saying Bo handled the situation with the utmost professionalism, either, but that ref was poking a caged animal all night.

• Fire 1

I agree that it should not skew the way a game is officiated, but when the officials don't like you, the "either way" calls will often not go your way. There's a ton of gray area in officiating and a lot of judgment calls. Now, I am just speaking very broadly, because what happened last night was a bit more blatant with the lack of penalties on A&M, but professional or not, that's the game and that's how it happens, across sports and across decades. It's not going to change, unfortunately, so the ball is in Bo's court there.

As a fan, I am pretty pissed (mostly about the roughing the passer on Osborne that came at a critical time, and not so much most of the other penalties. Though I did hear the illegal formations maybe weren't very illegal, which would be pretty suspect as well)...but after pointing fingers at the officials, there's nothing to do but to hope Bo hams it up to them in the future.

Charting Penalties:

1st Half:

-obvious late hit

stupid.

2nd Half:

There is a little more to it than just what and when (on the clock).

The 16-2 score is pretty alarming when considering the aTm was the most penalized team in the conference.

Lots of holding and 1 OBVIOUS late hit against aTm went unnoticed.

The non-replays of Martin's penalties is concerning.

The "only clear BS call of the game" was just at too crucial a time to ignore. 3rd down, late in the game.

Watch the video.

I missed part of the game on TV picking my daughter up at the airport (I know, what a Dad!)

If you watch the video, Cotton kicks the guy off of him. But then the REF puts his hand on Cotton's a$$ and Cotton kicks again. Ben has no way of knowing in that pile whether he got Jerod-Edge off his junk or not.

What ar the chances that the aTm player gets suspended, or arrested, because I'm pretty sure that's illegal still in texas

BTW that was the same officiating crew from the Texas game.

I sent the Klein play to PTI in the hopes of making it go national with the NU screw job. Let's do the same. Maybe one day PTI will put this stuff on the air.

Watch the video.

I missed part of the game on TV picking my daughter up at the airport (I know, what a Dad!)

If you watch the video, Cotton kicks the guy off of him. But then the REF puts his hand on Cotton's a$$ and Cotton kicks again. Ben has no way of knowing in that pile whether he got Jerod-Edge off his junk or not.

What ar the chances that the aTm player gets suspended, or arrested, because I'm pretty sure that's illegal still in texas

BTW that was the same officiating crew from the Texas game.

I sent the Klein play to PTI in the hopes of making it go national with the NU screw job. Let's do the same. Maybe one day PTI will put this stuff on the air.

its the two penalties that are more mind boggling than the 16. still though, two personal fouls on E-Mart on kickoff? The refs are watching his every move and making bogus flags for whatever he does. two times our team was flagged for DOUBLE personal fouls. 30 yards for Cotton on one play. 15 yards on two "half the distance to the goal" personal fouls. the roughing the passer was an unspeakably horrific call. this reffing crew has reffed three of our games: Texas, ISU, and A&M. we have been flagged 32 times for 293 yards (take out the 16 today and thats 8 per game in the other two which isn't awful). here's the crazy stat. the opponents have combined for 9 flags for 109 yards. are team really that good at being disciplined against us?