Of our 16 penalties...

Landlord

its the two penalties that are more mind boggling than the 16. still though, two personal fouls on E-Mart on kickoff? The refs are watching his every move and making bogus flags for whatever he does. two times our team was flagged for DOUBLE personal fouls. 30 yards for Cotton on one play. 15 yards on two "half the distance to the goal" personal fouls. the roughing the passer was an unspeakably horrific call. this reffing crew has reffed three of our games: Texas, ISU, and A&M. we have been flagged 32 times for 293 yards (take out the 16 today and thats 8 per game in the other two which isn't awful). here's the crazy stat. the opponents have combined for 9 flags for 109 yards. are team really that good at being disciplined against us?

Cotton was flags where legit -- one was for the kick and the other was for what he said after the pile was up. They did not show it but you her brent say now there are flags all over the place. He should have been ejected!

Prior to the start of the conference schedule, a national analyst commented that Nebraska would be very fortunate if they would get any breaks from Big 12 officials. This has certainly proven to be very prophetic. I haven't taken the time to go over the statistics, but I'm willing to bet that Nebraska is likely to prove to be the highly penalized team in the Big 12 this year. And why ? Are they a "dirty team" ? I think not. Are they undisciplined ? I don't really think that is the case either. In looking over the past few games, most of the calls which have been made against them have been purely subjective and "unreviewed." In any game that one team is penalized 145 yards and the other 10 yards, it immediately arouses some suspicions of bias. Like it or not, the Big 12 hates the fact that Nebraska is leaving the Big 12. It hurts them financially and that's what it all boils down to in college football anymore.

There is no point in going through every penalty. There were absolutely penalties which the Huskers earned and should have been called for, but at the same time, there were far more that were called against them, that should never have been called and possibly as a result cost them the game. The films clearly show Cotton kicking, but why ? Some one mentions in this thread that he was being mauled in that pile up and was attempting to free his leg. Otherwise why would he be kicking at all ? Films clearly show the ball was in Husker hands and yet the officials allowed a full 7 seconds without blowing it dead. This happens consistently in the Big 12 where the quality of officiating is substandard to most of the other conferences.

Pass interference is one of those really subjective calls. When a player is turned around by an opposing player yanking his jersey from behind, shouldn't that play at least be reviewed ? Anyone who watches college football or NFL football for that matter knows there is holding on every single play. So it's simply a matter of when an official chooses to call it. It becomes very obvious that it is called after a large gain on the same team on numerous occasions.

And the same might be said of "procedure calls". Why isn't it called prior to the snap, instead of waiting until the outcome of the snap ? Surely the official can see that there is a violation before the snap.

Do I think this is some kind of a conspiracy against the Huskers ? No I do not. But it does raise the question of consistency in the officiating among officials and perhaps a small bias on the part of the Big 12 which has a rather large ax to grind and who of course hires and fires said officials.

As for Bo ? I'm proud to have a coach that loses it once in awhile. He knew damn well he was getting the shaft and was not the kind of guy to bend over and take it. He let his players know he was behind them 100% and isn't that what a coach is supposed to do ? He didn't cost us the game, the officials did.

We will win against the Buffaloes, but get ready to get screwed in Texas against The Cowboys. Without a 100% healthy Martinez, there is no way we are are going beat them and a hand picked crew of officials who are going to be rewarded with bowl game assignments, and you can take that to the bank.

Ever wonder why Brent Musberger hates Nebraska so much ? You have to go back to Sep 1981, the year we beat Florida State and Bobby Bowden called Husker fans the greatest fans in the country. Brent doesn't have fond memories of that trip however. You'd have to check the police blotter of the Omaha Police Dept to understand why and a certain incident at the Tower Motel on West Dodge :-)

its the two penalties that are more mind boggling than the 16. still though, two personal fouls on E-Mart on kickoff? The refs are watching his every move and making bogus flags for whatever he does. two times our team was flagged for DOUBLE personal fouls. 30 yards for Cotton on one play. 15 yards on two "half the distance to the goal" personal fouls. the roughing the passer was an unspeakably horrific call. this reffing crew has reffed three of our games: Texas, ISU, and A&M. we have been flagged 32 times for 293 yards (take out the 16 today and thats 8 per game in the other two which isn't awful). here's the crazy stat. the opponents have combined for 9 flags for 109 yards. are team really that good at being disciplined against us?

Cotton was flags where legit -- one was for the kick and the other was for what he said after the pile was up. They did not show it but you her brent say now there are flags all over the place. He should have been ejected!

And the A&M player that was grabbing his nuts should have been ejected as well was suspended next week. But I'm sure the Big 12 will excuse his actions.

I was going to say at some point you have to start holding the coaches responsible but for me actually that point has long since passed. Time to make changes. Period.

And what "changes" do you want, oh Oracle of College Football?

Did somebody say something?

I didn't think so...

I'm waiting. Sack up. Don't throw something so useless out there and not back it up.

I didn't appreciate the smart alec comment. Capisce? Learn how to talk to people and maybe you'll get the results you so desire.

And I don't appreciate people talking as though they know what "changes" can or need to be made to something when they haven't demonstrated the slightest bit of understanding WHAT can or should be changed.

Sorry coach...

HJosh really has a point. You are looking foolish after posting that having nothing to back it up with. Its a message board, deal with the criticism.

I have an idea - how about some changes on the offensive staff? Why is it we can work a complete miracle on our defense in 2 years but still plod helplessly along on our offense? You people act like there should be no changes, that nothing is wrong, but we can't do sh#t vs. semi-competent defenses. We can't get discipline enough not to commit 16 penalties in one game. Throw out the bullsh#t calls, and you still have false starts, illegal shifts/substitutions, holding, etc. That's not even mentioning the fumbling problem we have or the dropped balls. This isn't a one-game anomaly. This is 2 years now that we've had this problem, and what makes you think it's just going to magically fix itself by next year?

So how about you stop riding people for stating the obvious - because we do need a change. So why don't YOU sack up and give us a good reason why there shouldn't be?

On the PI call that ended up being taken away: How often does one referee overrule another for pass interference? Not very but when it does, it's usually because it was determined the ball was not-catchable. This was clearly not the case. I'm like many of you in terms of the officials being against us this year. I didn't buy into it one bit until last night.

Again, the point of this thread is that of our penalties, probably around half were self destructive and warranted. We are an undisciplined football team, and if we want to be a legitimate contender it needs to stop.

Making a thread about penalties you should've known you would get responses on how the officiating was horrible and the lack of penalties on A&M so please don't act surprised.

Again, the point of this thread is that of our penalties, probably around half were self destructive and warranted. We are an undisciplined football team, and if we want to be a legitimate contender it needs to stop.

Making a thread about penalties you should've known you would get responses on how the officiating was horrible and the lack of penalties on A&M so please don't act surprised.

You need to be ejected. You're just hanging around to stir up trouble. Are you really so jealous of NU's previous success that you sit around on our message board arguing over trivial details? This is like our little place to vent and you keep agitating people. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish or what your purpose is here. I can only assume it is to be a jerk.

Wow, I just went to ESPN.com to look at how many penalties A&M gets per game--

You can say that a lot of the calls against NU were legit, I honestly don't remember most of those. It's a LOT harder to demonstrate the non-calls. A&M usually gets 8 - 11+ penalties per game. 2 against NU. I just don't believe that reflects their actual play. They let a hold go here or there, they pick up a flag on a PI call.

I have NEVER blamed the refs in the past, honestly. This season is so obviously different... Nebraska has not been playing error-free ball the last couple years, but suddenly our opponents are, but only against us?

hmm