New bowl projections

FLU

From everything I've read this morning, if Nebraska wins they're obviously headed to the Fiesta Bowl to play Stanford; if they lose they're headed to the Insight Bowl to play Michigan. Alamo Bowl officials don't want a rematch against Arizona, and the Cotton Bowl prefers A&M.

I don't understand the logic there. If the fear is that Nebraska fans won't want to make two consecutive trips to the Dallas area in a month-span, they are making the gross assumption that it would be the same fans going to both games, as well as overlooking the fact that A&M fans likely won't have to stay overnight in Dallas to see the game. In case the Cotton Bowl forgot, A&M is a Texas team. We'd both have three loses, except that we'd have an extra win, meaning we'd be a half game better in the standings.

Frankly, I am not at all thrilled about an Insight Bowl matchup against a Big 10 opponent. In 8 months, that game will be just another conference game on the schedule. I'd be like playing K State in our bowl game. No thanks. I want SEC or Pac-10 blood.

FLU:

Where are you reading. Not a "sarcastic" question. I hope you are right to an extent. I DONT want Cotton Bowl. Give me the Alamo or Insight. I read a small bit in the Omaha paper and it said something to the effect that the Cotton would have to consider Nebraska heading to Dallas for a 3rd time in less than a year...and it did mention the Insight..because Alamo may not want NU-Arizona rematch.

But, most of the national sites...cbs, fox and scout have NU headed to Cotton Bowl. Of course, all of them have us losing to OU (a$$holes)...but all have Dallas instead of Insight. In fact, a "Cotton Bowl Blogger", blogged yesterday that he felt the Cotton Bowl would take NU if they lost because it would be their "last" chance to grab them because of the move to the Big 10.

I SURE hope your info. is correct.

HUjan:

I respectfully disagree about the Cotton. It would be the 3rd time in less than a year that NU fans have had a chance to be in Dallas. Most fans that consistantly "travel" or live in Dallas will have probably had the opportunity to have gone at least once or twice ALREADY...Plus, many fans just got back from College Station.. Furthermore, Dallas is NOT an attractive destination. Weather is not attractive, really not very "touristic", and the damn game is on Friday the 7th of January. I have been to many bowl games and the day or two prior is when a lot of excitement builds as Husker Nation takes over the city.

** With the game being on Friday...most families with school age kids, aren't going to travel down on Wed. right after Christmas break.....meaning a large share of 'blue hairs" and of course college students (postitive)....

** We already recruit well in Texas, so exposure is not an issue (esp. since we have been in the state so many times)... Arizon has been decent to us in the recent years, so it would be nice to go to Teimpe (Fiesta obviously), but even the Insight puts us there too.

I (as a fan) would be excited for an LSU match up in Cotton, but also wouldn't mind a chance to play PSU or Mich...

FLU:

Where are you reading. Not a "sarcastic" question. I hope you are right to an extent. I DONT want Cotton Bowl. Give me the Alamo or Insight. I read a small bit in the Omaha paper and it said something to the effect that the Cotton would have to consider Nebraska heading to Dallas for a 3rd time in less than a year...and it did mention the Insight..because Alamo may not want NU-Arizona rematch.

But, most of the national sites...cbs, fox and scout have NU headed to Cotton Bowl. Of course, all of them have us losing to OU (a$$holes)...but all have Dallas instead of Insight. In fact, a "Cotton Bowl Blogger", blogged yesterday that he felt the Cotton Bowl would take NU if they lost because it would be their "last" chance to grab them because of the move to the Big 10.I SURE hope your info. is correct.

HUjan:

I respectfully disagree about the Cotton. It would be the 3rd time in less than a year that NU fans have had a chance to be in Dallas. Most fans that consistantly "travel" or live in Dallas will have probably had the opportunity to have gone at least once or twice ALREADY...Plus, many fans just got back from College Station.. Furthermore, Dallas is NOT an attractive destination. Weather is not attractive, really not very "touristic", and the damn game is on Friday the 7th of January. I have been to many bowl games and the day or two prior is when a lot of excitement builds as Husker Nation takes over the city.

** With the game being on Friday...most families with school age kids, aren't going to travel down on Wed. right after Christmas break.....meaning a large share of 'blue hairs" and of course college students (postitive)....

** We already recruit well in Texas, so exposure is not an issue (esp. since we have been in the state so many times)... Arizon has been decent to us in the recent years, so it would be nice to go to Teimpe (Fiesta obviously), but even the Insight puts us there too.

I (as a fan) would be excited for an LSU match up in Cotton, but also wouldn't mind a chance to play PSU or Mich...

This why I think the Cotton may take us. They have the first pick after the BCS as far as Big 12 schools. I would think they would be all over Nebraska if the huskers are sitting their.

Nebraska - Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl??? The Big East Champion, most likely UCONN will be in the Fiesta Bowl...

No, many experts believe that the Orange Bowl will select the Big East champion over Stanford, due to geographical issues.

Stanford vs NU is a win-win match up I think. Standford gets tons of respect (as they should) they have a QB that will be a top 5 pick if he comes out, they have a coach that is well respected.

It would be a great match up to see if they could throw on the NU secondary, which I dont think they could. If NU wins that game, they end up 12-2 with wins over 3 top 15 teams? Would that be about right? OSU, Zoo and Stanford.

just more "insight"........rumor/opinion

Just visited with uncle in Oklahoma City making arrangements for Big 12 game, and he said that the "word is" in Oklahoma that the Cotton bowl was going to take the OU/OSU loser.

He said even today, many in the state of Oklahoma think that OSU is in Cotton. NOW, he is just going by newspaper and speculation like the rest of us...

Stanford vs NU is a win-win match up I think. Standford gets tons of respect (as they should) they have a QB that will be a top 5 pick if he comes out, they have a coach that is well respected.

It would be a great match up to see if they could throw on the NU secondary, which I dont think they could. If NU wins that game, they end up 12-2 with wins over 3 top 15 teams? Would that be about right? OSU, Zoo and Stanford.

Boomer will be a Top 15 team Saturday. So it would be four, if NU is fortunate to win Saturday night

Keep your fingers cross for Virginia Tech to win the ACC and West Virginia to win the Big East (UConn loses to South Florida + WV beats Rutgers). That's the only scenario where the Orange Bowl might select the Big East champ over a higher at large.

Either way for us I think we're headed to Phoenix. If we lose the CCG, A&M will probably be selected for the Cotton Bowl, OSU for the Alamo and then we get Insight Bowl. The reason OSU would be selected for the Alamo over us is that the Pac-10 #2 (Arizona) is automatically bid.

Keep your fingers cross for Virginia Tech to win the ACC and West Virginia to win the Big East (UConn loses to South Florida + WV beats Rutgers). That's the only scenario where the Orange Bowl might select the Big East champ over a higher at large.

Either way for us I think we're headed to Phoenix. If we lose the CCG, A&M will probably be selected for the Cotton Bowl, OSU for the Alamo and then we get Insight Bowl. The reason OSU would be selected for the Alamo over us is that the Pac-10 #2 (Arizona) is automatically bid.

FWIW, while I understand the logic of not playing Arizona two years in a row in a bowl game, it's not uncommon for such to happen. The most recent example happened last season when the Fiesta paired TCU & Boise. They also played each other the previous year in the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl.