True Grit

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else reminded of the hitchhiker scene from "Fear and Loathing" each time they hear the word's true grit? Maybe just me.

"But our trip was different. It was a classic affirmation of everything right and true and decent in the national character. It was a gross, physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country—but only for those with true grit. And we were chock full of that."

"Damn right!"

• 1 year later...

BUMP

This movie gets better everytime I watch it. Good sh#t.

I bought a copy for myself. Seen it three times, and like it better each time.

It's not a comedy, by any means. But the funniest scene I think is the courtroom exchange right at the beginning.

Lawyer Goudy: Mr. Cogburn, in your four years as U.S. marshal, how many men have you shot?

Rooster Cogburn: I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

Lawyer Goudy: Well, that was not the question. How many?

Rooster Cogburn: Shot or killed?

Lawyer Goudy: Let us restrict it to “killed” so that we may have a manageable figure.

Rooster Cogburn: About twelve, fifteen. Stopping men in flight, defending myself, et cetera.

Lawyer Goudy: Around twelve he says, or fifteen. So many that you cannot keep a precise count. I have examined the records and can supply the accurate figure.

Rooster Cogburn: Well, I believe them two Whartons makes it twenty-three.

Lawyer Goudy: And how many members of this one family, the Wharton family, have you killed?

Rooster Cogburn: Immediate, or...

Just reading the lines doesn't do the film justice. Cracks me up every time. :lol:

BUMP

This movie gets better everytime I watch it. Good sh#t.

I bought a copy for myself. Seen it three times, and like it better each time.

It's not a comedy, by any means. But the funniest scene I think is the courtroom exchange right at the beginning.

Lawyer Goudy: Mr. Cogburn, in your four years as U.S. marshal, how many men have you shot?

Rooster Cogburn: I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

Lawyer Goudy: Well, that was not the question. How many?

Rooster Cogburn: Shot or killed?

Lawyer Goudy: Let us restrict it to “killed” so that we may have a manageable figure.

Rooster Cogburn: About twelve, fifteen. Stopping men in flight, defending myself, et cetera.

Lawyer Goudy: Around twelve he says, or fifteen. So many that you cannot keep a precise count. I have examined the records and can supply the accurate figure.

Rooster Cogburn: Well, I believe them two Whartons makes it twenty-three.

Lawyer Goudy: And how many members of this one family, the Wharton family, have you killed?

Rooster Cogburn: Immediate, or...

Just reading the lines doesn't do the film justice. Cracks me up every time. :lol:

Yeah Bridges sells that last line perfectly. :lol:

I also get a kick out of "I always go backwards when I'm backin' up".

The banter between Mr. LaBoeuf and Rooster is just terrific.

LeBoeuf: As I understand it, Chaney, or Chelmsford, as he called himself in Texas, shot the senator's dog. When the senator remonstrated Chelmsford shot him as well. Now, you could argue that the shooting of the dog was merely an instant of malum prohibitum, but the shooting of a senator is indubitably an instant of malum in se.

Rooster Cogburn: Malla-men what?

Mattie Ross: Malum in se. The distinction is between an act that is wrong in itself, and an act that is wrong only according to our laws and mores. It is Latin.

Rooster Cogburn: I'm struck that LeBoeuf has been shot, trampled, and nearly severs his tongue, not only does it not cease to talk but spills the banks of English.

LeBoeuf: I was within three hundred yards of Chelmsford once. The closest I have been. With the Sharp's carbine, that is within range. But I was mounted, and had the choice of firing off-hand, or dismounting to shoot from rest, which would allow Chelmsford to augment the distance. I fired mounted...and fired wide.

Rooster Cogburn: You could not hit a man at three hundred yards if your gun was resting on Gibraltar.

LeBoeuf: The Sharp's carbine is an instrument of uncanny power and precision.

Rooster Cogburn: I have no doubt that the gun is sound.

• Fire 2

I'll say it . . . I liked the remake better than the original. The girl was less annoying.

And the Big Lebowski is in my top 5.

Funny thing about The Big Lebowski, people either seem to hate it, or love it. Almost no middle ground. I think it's a GREAT movie--in my all-time top ten. Some people absolutely hate it. Which I can't understand.

Read the book, have seen both movies. The remake is definitely the better of the two. Almost mirrors the book but for leaving out a chapter or two that aren't really relevant to the story. Love what the Cohen brothers did with the movie, it makes me feel like a little kid again when I watch it.

I hate it.

Look, man, I've got certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, blaming me, you know, given the nature of all this new sh#t, you know, I-I-I-I... this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, complex, I mean, it's not just, it might not be just such a simple... uh, you know?