Dear Shawn Watson,

The Dude

So many people coming around. there should be 0 Calahan hold overs. We have no designed QB runs (at least not any called) that don't involved the zone read. no hat on hat power football. Give Taylor some runs were he is getting it end of story and put some hats on hats. Zone read is something you call once or twice a drive, not play after play. It's an easier to defend version of the option. Watson has got to go! too many good coordinators out there who would like a bigger job to put up with this. I was scoffed at for saying to go after Houston's OC... look at him blowing crap up at OKstate. all congrats to oklahoma great game for them. I'm glad we lost to them an not someone else.

I agree with you about the T-Mart hate. But I would respectfully say he is not a quarterback. To me he is a glorified wide receiver playing quarterback, and while that is not a bad thing its not a good thing either.And you are right T-Mart was not ready to play today, and place that on the coaching staff.

I would disagree with the defense getting owned. This is one of the most talented offenses in the league and some mistakes are going to made. Roy Finch and Kenny Stills are going to be beast, and Murray is a damn good RB. I don't place blame on the D.

I disagree with you on whether we should have gone conservative, like last year. Our D is not the same as last year, we have a lot more youth then I think people want to believe. And unfortunately that youth makes mistakes. If we were to play conservative we would have gotten lit up.

As for why we didn't ride Rex, I have no effin clue. Which makes me even more pissed off at Wats.

In summation: Green is the more natural QB. Period. And should have started. T-Mart does not play the same when he is around athletes that can run with him. I don't blame him but the coaching for putting him in these positions. AND WATS NEEDS TO GO.

Keep in mind Taylor is a freshman, when you see him getting in trouble is when he has to go through progressions and the first read is not open. This is perfectly normal for a young qb he will progress and will be able to go through his reads fster has he matures as a qb.

Roll him out or SOMETHING to get him in space feeling more comfortable.

Quick comment here, Hercules. Just because people having been calling for roll-outs from Taylor all season, when his footwork is so poor even when he is healthy and in the pocket - throwing on the run is not really an option with him. I don't know if there's anything to have done to get him to feel more comfortable. Taylor's just Taylor...I do think there is an argument to have not started him, because he's been out for a while, and served a suspension supposedly last game. We could have built around Green. But personally, I did have more confidence in Taylor than Green. It was just disappointing but I don't know if I would argue against the decision as an uninformed fan. It's a push to me right now. If Lee were healthy that's a different story but he hasn't been for a while.

I would disagree with the defense getting owned. This is one of the most talented offenses in the league and some mistakes are going to made. Roy Finch and Kenny Stills are going to be beast, and Murray is a damn good RB. I don't place blame on the D.

The O never, ever gets a pass for struggling when they play a good defense, though. I'm not really calling for changes but I am noting that they got blasted today and those mistakes hurt us big, even if the OU offense is talented. I guess we've also grown used to our D shutting down any amount of talent on O after last year. It's true, our D this year is not quite as good and maybe that's why we couldn't be as conservative as last year. I guess the alternative is there's nobody to blame, when the situation is as bad as it is. There's just no easy answers then.

But we just lost the last Big 12 CCG ever and I'm in a bit of a blaming mood :)

By the way I'll qualify my blame on everything and the D in particular by saying I'm picking at the bad plays and ignoring the good ones they made. They made some baller stops and played a lot of terrific D today. It's just that it will never excuse the one, two, three huge miscues that really swing the difference in a game. Like a QB can play lights out for an entire game in a shoot out, but if he makes one horrible gaffe that results in a pick 6 at the end, that play should get picked apart. Which is also why as much as I have and still support SW, and respect the difficult situation he was in this game, I still view a few of the *crucial* time playcalls with skepticism.

First off, it's silly to get into it about who should have started QB. Taylor won the job months ago, that ship has sailed. Taylor's the guy. Period.

As far as rolling him out - just because you roll him out doesn't mean he has to throw on the run. He can still square up, but tonight he was panicking anytime he felt the pocket closing in on him. Get him in space where he can see and where he can move. Anytime he was in space tonight to throw, he looked about 100x more comfortable than he did in the pocket.

Seriously though, scoring defense is all that matters, and this defense didn't give up much. They gave our offense a touchdown with Osborne's interception, and our offense spotted OU about 10-13 points off of turnovers. You just can't give an offense like Oklahoma's that many chances, at some point they're going to make you pay. This is the best defense in college football, and they played that way tonight for all but about 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter. That's my only beef with them, still not knowing how to play a full 4 quarters.

Leading the league in fumbles means losing close games. It's a proven theory, and in losing to texas, texas a&m, and to oklahoma we lost at least one fumble in each game... on our side of the 50!! That's HUGE.

Taylor's adam's apple grew to the size of a football and caused a severe case of the chokes every time his pocket (lol, he was passing from the pocket?) broke down, and most of the time, his first reaction was to go BACKWARDS???!!!

In the fourth quarter, we should have had Green already warmed up and ready to go so he could finish the game. He has 10 times better pocket presence and all we needed was a 5 yard slant throw and catch. With Green, I feel we get that first down and at the very least have a chance to tie the game.

Shawn Watson makes the worst adjustments of any coach in the history of football (going all the way back to the days of the vikings... the european ones that is). How we can be up 17-0, get the ball like 3 or 4 more times on their side of the 50 and come up with 3 points is beyond me.

The offensive play calling was about as attractive as Holly Rowe... what ever happened to the roll out passes to take advantage of the dual-threat quarterback? What happened to anything that resembled a vertical passing game? Why does the only guy who hasn't dropped a pass this year (Broekemeier) not run routes that arent 3 yards deep? What happened to pitches and types of runs like draws QB keepers that dont involve reads? What happened to T-Freshman actually keeping the ball on the zone read?? And finally WHAT HAPPENED TO ROY HELU IN THE SECOND HALF???

K... Im done. :rant

you my friend, made my point better lol. why does EVERYTHING have to be a read.

My views, feel free to disagree...

1) The vitriol directed at Taylor is over the top. Cut his scholarship fund? Taylor sucks? Freshman had a rough game, but that's unmerited IMO. Another example of hype becoming a player's downfall. More moderate voices since the beginning of the year nailed the situation for what it is: Taylor is an athlete at QB, who brings explosion and the big play to the offense while being completely raw as a passer, and prone to cold spells, and extreme cases of nerves. I felt Taylor should not have started, and that's why. But Taylor doesn't suck either...and attitude or not, shouldn't deserve the kind of hate he is all of a sudden getting. I guess I did become a fan of the guy over the games, even while acknowledging that he's a potential bomb waiting to explode and implode the team. Which is a separate issue. I thought Taylor battled quite well tonight and made it obvious he is here to stay. He was hurting quite badly by the end, physically and emotionally. The fact is that he has significantly degressed since the Ok St. game. I see it as a result of posiion coaching (Watson dedhoarse ) in what has turned a mobile and very athletic qb who can throw quite well when he's feeling it into a statue pocket passer. Even against ok st. when he threw for over 300 yards, he also ran for over 100 by making plays with his feet when the pressure came. He didnt even attempt that tonight and it was sickening. Freshman or not, hurt or not, it's poor coaching b/c he has considerably digressed.

2) Defense: you got owned. 17 of Oklahoma's 23 points at least were directly caused by three huge plays given up by the secondary. Cassidy, Hagg, and pretty much everyone (I guess it was Dennard's man). These are good players in a very good defensive system. But these three plays are more costly than I could even begin talking about. There was a lot of good defense today, and a lot of sharpness from Jones with his pinpoint passes. But there was also some giving up big runs up the middle (DL?...) and those three ugly, inexcusable plays. You cannot expect to go against a quality offensive team and make THREE miscues like that, and still expect to win. FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE YARDS today by the Sooners. I will not call for anyone's heads though. But just think about that. 4-5-5. Strong disagreement here. Defense gave up two drive with no excuse but the rest of the game, 455 yards and 23 points i thought was very impressive considereing how many plays they ran. Just like last year when they had 380 yards with 85 plays. Defense did what they had to do and they just simply got tired into the 4th with our incompetent o constantly turning it over and going 3 and out time and again in the 3rd. Fact is, the D made two huge 3 and out stands despite the exhaustion late in the 4th deep in ou territory to give us good field position twice.

3) Starting Taylor. Watson called a great game early. The fourth down playaction was ballsy and masterful. Then Taylor loses his cool and doesn't regain it for the rest of the game. Taylor was not prepared to play today IMO. I don't know what to say since we are so thin at QB and Green was even more scary of an option. But this decision to start Taylor, which is Bo's as well as Watson's, should be something to be talked about.

I'll agree with this but it is hindsight. tounge in cheek. These coaches are with the team in practice all week, they know more than we do.

4) Watson and the Last Drive. We scored 20 points in the first half and looked on track to do more than our fair share against the Sooners. Indeed, probably most felt if we could put this number up on Oklahoma, we'd win (but see #2: defense). At some point you got to commit to Burkhead/grinding it out. Why am I so defensive of Watson in spite of 2009? Because I loved and embrace the 2009 philosophy, which Bo directed. Shut it down on offense, grab a lead and hang the heck onto it. Keep it out of the realm of killer mistakes, and I don't care if we average 3 yards a carry as long as we are chewing clock and getting a field goal here or there. you already answered it, i remember the turning point last year after the Prince pick against OU and the insertion of Lee. Tonight however, things were working well until Taylor threw the pick in the endzone.

So WHY, when the game is on the line, we have the ball thanks to Rex on our own 40, with just 20 yards at minimum to go, and nearly 2 minutes on the clock to get there, do we not run it? Rex had success in the Wildcat and we have enough time to average 3 yards a clip and still get to field goal range with a break or two. So we throw a quickslant on first down, fine. But on 2nd and medium, after seeing how Taylor has reacted to pressure ALL DAY, and really, Taylor's dancing around into linemen in the pocket has been a chronic occurence all freaking year. When we can rely on any of our multiple ways to attack the defense on the ground to put us in third and short, why do we call something that has ANY chance at all of putting us into 3rd and 16? There's no criticism on the two plays after that because we were desperate anyways. It's these first two plays that killed us.

no disagreement on this

There, now I know what it's like to play armchair OC. I don't think Watson should be fired, for the usual reasons. Just like I don't think the defensive coaches should be fired. But I think this is fair criticism of a couple of very costly decisions.

Watson's time to go is now. Last year i was the first to say he had reasons/excuses. But this year he has the players. But a physical offensive line that is not a pass pro line. A mobile running type qb with ok throwing ability is not Tom Brady. Rex Burkead and Roy Helu need to get the ball straight ahead a heck of a lot more than they did. Wats just simply does not have the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of his players, and too many times over the last two years he has gone away from strengths the to the weaknesses.

5) Bo. This goes right with the above. I loved 2009 because of the conservative approach. Why did Bo go away from that today? It was especially evident on the last game, unless Watson went rogue on Bo, which I doubt, because it was evident on Bo's approach through the day. He did go balls out on this one, which is to his credit, but honestly there were some very dangerous decisions there that could have cost us the game at multiple times. The 4th and 1 was surprising, but it worked. That doesn't mean it wasn't hella dangerous. The fake punt - also surprising, and I'm sad I didn't get to see it. But also EXTREMELY dangerous. We are talking Les Miles dangerous or CU 2008 dangerous if we don't make those 4 yards, late in the game and down 3 in our own territory. And of course the end of the game.

Since when did Bo have little faith in our defense? I suppose this game gave him no reason to have faith. Still, I really believe going away from the 2009 approach when the chips were down was a questionable decision. Using it opened up Watson to a ton of unfair criticism, but using it the way it was used in the 2nd half of this game opens up Watson to a lot of valid criticism.

I dont think it was lack of faith in the d, but rather it was obvious that the d was not quite what it was a year ago. BUT they did make some big stands late deep in ou territory to give us 2 more chances. The gutsy playcalling i thought was good, and i do agree with your assessment of the conservativeness of a year ago, but this team may have a different attitude when it comes to playing to win as opposed to playing not to lose. That fake punt? Was going to be a beauty i bet, it was set up pretty nice, but that again is good coaching on the part of ou.

6) Misc things on playcalling...the zone read was fine IMO. Not with Taylor, though, after the first few drives. But with Rex out of the Wildcat. All those Wildcat plays were pretty good. Although I would say the throws were very dangerous. Rex should have thrown the second one away (or sooner), and the first one was off target. Good to give them something to think about though. The one that failed was Mike Caputo's bad snap that resulted in a fumble. Throwing the ball with Taylor quickly became a completely untenable option, and yet we stuck with it. I like showing faith to your players, I think it enables them to succeed. But this is a situation where no faith was deserved.

I retract previous statements in other threads on the zone read in order to agree with you that it was good with rex and roy. They seem to be alot more decisive and with taylor it seemed to take forever to develope. the first 3 possessions of the 3rd qtr were the poorest excuse of playcalling ever. Never even attempted to seize what worked in the first half. As far as Caputo's bad snap, this puts Watson's incompetence into full view, we pick up great runs from Rex 3 plays prior to the bad snap, then after we put Taylor back in the pocket for a quick 3 and out.

I answered my thoughts in the large bold above.

After cooling off ...

I don't think it's fair to put this one on the kids playing ball for us. They all try their hardest, but sometimes, whether because of injury or inexperience or talent level, their hardest isn't enough to match up with the team across the line of scrimmage.

There were a lot of mistakes made in that game, obviously. But the inattention to the fundamentals of protecting the ball (or catching it) is a condition that we see across the team; it's not just one player. Helu dropped one, Caputo/Burkhead another. It wasn't just Taylor.

And when there's an issue that fundamental that's that widespread on the team, and it's something that doesn't seem to be an anomaly at all after this many games, but just what's expected, well, that goes back to coaching.

Biggest problem tonight: turnovers. Second-biggest, craptacular playcalling by a coach that wouldn't know how to ride a horse (Burkhead) if he were velcroed to the saddle. Third, yeah, Martinez had a bad night. But clearly the kid didn't have his mobility and probably should never have been out there. Especially with a healthy Cody on the sidelines. And that's back to coaching.

My views, feel free to disagree...

1) The vitriol directed at Taylor is over the top. Cut his scholarship fund? Taylor sucks? Freshman had a rough game, but that's unmerited IMO. Another example of hype becoming a player's downfall. More moderate voices since the beginning of the year nailed the situation for what it is: Taylor is an athlete at QB, who brings explosion and the big play to the offense while being completely raw as a passer, and prone to cold spells, and extreme cases of nerves. I felt Taylor should not have started, and that's why. But Taylor doesn't suck either...and attitude or not, shouldn't deserve the kind of hate he is all of a sudden getting. I guess I did become a fan of the guy over the games, even while acknowledging that he's a potential bomb waiting to explode and implode the team. Which is a separate issue.

2) Defense: you got owned. 17 of Oklahoma's 23 points at least were directly caused by three huge plays given up by the secondary. Cassidy, Hagg, and pretty much everyone (I guess it was Dennard's man). These are good players in a very good defensive system. But these three plays are more costly than I could even begin talking about. There was a lot of good defense today, and a lot of sharpness from Jones with his pinpoint passes. But there was also some giving up big runs up the middle (DL?...) and those three ugly, inexcusable plays. You cannot expect to go against a quality offensive team and make THREE miscues like that, and still expect to win. FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE YARDS today by the Sooners. I will not call for anyone's heads though. But just think about that. 4-5-5.

3) Starting Taylor. Watson called a great game early. The fourth down playaction was ballsy and masterful. Then Taylor loses his cool and doesn't regain it for the rest of the game. Taylor was not prepared to play today IMO. I don't know what to say since we are so thin at QB and Green was even more scary of an option. But this decision to start Taylor, which is Bo's as well as Watson's, should be something to be talked about.

4) Watson and the Last Drive. We scored 20 points in the first half and looked on track to do more than our fair share against the Sooners. Indeed, probably most felt if we could put this number up on Oklahoma, we'd win (but see #2: defense). At some point you got to commit to Burkhead/grinding it out. Why am I so defensive of Watson in spite of 2009? Because I loved and embrace the 2009 philosophy, which Bo directed. Shut it down on offense, grab a lead and hang the heck onto it. Keep it out of the realm of killer mistakes, and I don't care if we average 3 yards a carry as long as we are chewing clock and getting a field goal here or there.

So WHY, when the game is on the line, we have the ball thanks to Rex on our own 40, with just 20 yards at minimum to go, and nearly 2 minutes on the clock to get there, do we not run it? Rex had success in the Wildcat and we have enough time to average 3 yards a clip and still get to field goal range with a break or two. So we throw a quickslant on first down, fine. But on 2nd and medium, after seeing how Taylor has reacted to pressure ALL DAY, and really, Taylor's dancing around into linemen in the pocket has been a chronic occurence all freaking year. When we can rely on any of our multiple ways to attack the defense on the ground to put us in third and short, why do we call something that has ANY chance at all of putting us into 3rd and 16? There's no criticism on the two plays after that because we were desperate anyways. It's these first two plays that killed us.

There, now I know what it's like to play armchair OC. I don't think Watson should be fired, for the usual reasons. Just like I don't think the defensive coaches should be fired. But I think this is fair criticism of a couple of very costly decisions.

5) Bo. This goes right with the above. I loved 2009 because of the conservative approach. Why did Bo go away from that today? It was especially evident on the last game, unless Watson went rogue on Bo, which I doubt, because it was evident on Bo's approach through the day. He did go balls out on this one, which is to his credit, but honestly there were some very dangerous decisions there that could have cost us the game at multiple times. The 4th and 1 was surprising, but it worked. That doesn't mean it wasn't hella dangerous. The fake punt - also surprising, and I'm sad I didn't get to see it. But also EXTREMELY dangerous. We are talking Les Miles dangerous or CU 2008 dangerous if we don't make those 4 yards, late in the game and down 3 in our own territory. And of course the end of the game.

Since when did Bo have little faith in our defense? I suppose this game gave him no reason to have faith. Still, I really believe going away from the 2009 approach when the chips were down was a questionable decision. Using it opened up Watson to a ton of unfair criticism, but using it the way it was used in the 2nd half of this game opens up Watson to a lot of valid criticism.

6) Misc things on playcalling...the zone read was fine IMO. Not with Taylor, though, after the first few drives. But with Rex out of the Wildcat. All those Wildcat plays were pretty good. Although I would say the throws were very dangerous. Rex should have thrown the second one away (or sooner), and the first one was off target. Good to give them something to think about though. The one that failed was Mike Caputo's bad snap that resulted in a fumble. Throwing the ball with Taylor quickly became a completely untenable option, and yet we stuck with it. I like showing faith to your players, I think it enables them to succeed. But this is a situation where no faith was deserved.

Your rant was too long and boring to read in full.

The loss was not on the D. Yes they may have given up quite a few yards, but 4 turnovers assisted the OU O.

TM has no clue of pocket presence. Of the 7 or so sacks he took tonight, 5 were preventable if he would have made the decision to tuck and run or throw the ball away.

Watson's play calling was piss poor to say the least.

Where was the Power running game. Seemed to work the very few times it was ran.

We do not have very good recievers. Kinnie and McNeil are good, but McNeil is slow and an undersized TE. Good hands and a good route runner, but not a threat. We didn't have a deep threat all game. There were opportunities for shots deep but the personel wasn't there.

All in all this game falls on the O and the Offensive coaches.

Where was the Power running game. Seemed to work the very few times it was ran.

We do not have very good recievers. Kinnie and McNeil are good, but McNeil is slow and an undersized TE. Good hands and a good route runner, but not a threat. We didn't have a deep threat all game. There were opportunities for shots deep but the personel wasn't there.

I think Wats has had McNeil MIA for the whole season. Yeah, he's not the fastest guy on the teams, but he makes plays. I thought he did what he could do tonight. I actually thought they were trying to get the guy the ball for once this year. JMO.

I agree with you about the T-Mart hate. But I would respectfully say he is not a quarterback. To me he is a glorified wide receiver playing quarterback, and while that is not a bad thing its not a good thing either.And you are right T-Mart was not ready to play today, and place that on the coaching staff.

I disagree with you on whether we should have gone conservative, like last year. Our D is not the same as last year, we have a lot more youth then I think people want to believe. And unfortunately that youth makes mistakes. If we were to play conservative we would have gotten lit up.

As for why we didn't ride Rex, I have no effin clue. Which makes me even more pissed off at Wats.

In summation: Green is the more natural QB. Period. And should have started. T-Mart does not play the same when he is around athletes that can run with him. I don't blame him but the coaching for putting him in these positions. AND WATS NEEDS TO GO.

Keep in mind Taylor is a freshman, when you see him getting in trouble is when he has to go through progressions and the first read is not open. This is perfectly normal for a young qb he will progress and will be able to go through his reads fster has he matures as a qb.

He is a freshman, but I don't think he is meant to play QB. The balls he threw were ugly at times, and with the defensive competition getting better next year I don't think he should be starting. The problems he is having may not be solved in a year or two, so should we to wait for him to come along, or move to the next best option? Green was ready, and while he is not nearly as dynamic as T-Mart, he can win games.

Also, he wasn't going through his progressions, he was getting nervous and indecisive.

i agree with nearly everything you have to say. ive been on the boards for 30 minutes and im already sick of the pathetic whining directed towards taylor.

however, i dont think watsons playcalling was bad, minus the first two drives of the second half. we shouldve stopped with that sweep read option much sooner. otherwise, i think it came down to poor execution. we had players open and holes to run through, but despite what he says, taylors nerves got the best of him tonight.

otherwise, we just lost to a great team. they showed resilience, class, and heart. theres no shame in taking a loss tonight. its sad that more people dont see that

someone please explain to me how the defense allowing 2 field goals in the second half while the offense continually sh#t the bed is bad?

oklahoma was 1-16 on third down conversions. read that again. and then once more. go look it up. read it again. say wow. go to another site and make sure its not a typo. giggle.

2-4 on fourth...not so great, but still.

this d always gives up a lot of yards, and no one says crap. oklahoma has an offense that is gonna get their plays here and there, which they did tonight...with the help of 4 f'ing turnovers. they gave up 6 more points than their average on the year. sweet jesus, they blow, right?

he's what i see being overlooked. taylor had heart. he looked like a hobbled old man from the get go out there. dont tell me he lost the game tho. his service was more than noticeable in the first half...anyone recall the end of the second when he popped us down the field for a go ahead field goal? its not like this kid choked completely. anyone notice the offensive line getting completely f'ing owned all night? take for example sirles recovering that fumble in the first half. he was able to because his thumb was so far up his ass while he watched the d end go around him and kill martinez that he could have wrote a paper about it and turned it in back in lincoln before the whistle blew.

how about roy helu? martinez made more than a couple plays himself, but gets crucified. roy had a nice td run. then reverted to his old ways by coughing up a fumble and proceeding to disappear. what exactly that was all about we may never know, but its not the first time its happened this year...or in his career. take away that 66 yard run and he put out less than 3 yards a carry.

shawn watson...where do i even begin.

i believe martinez should not have had so much put on his shoulders...that maybe we should have seen more wildcat. or hell, maybe even green.

the fact is we didnt. why? who knows. those of you wanting to place this loss on taylors shoulders are particularly disturbing.

• Fire 1

2) Defense: you got owned.

:facepalm:

We Husker fans actually EXPECT the defense to win the game for us because we know the offense can't. And when they don't completely dominate an opponent, they got owned?

Ridiculous.

1st-10, NEB49 11:10 L. Jones passed to K. Stills down the middle for 49 yard touchdown. J. Stevens made PAT

1st-10, NEB31 1:58 L. Jones passed to K. Stills to the left for 30 yard gain

3rd-24, OKLA40 10:47 L. Jones passed to C. Kenney to the left for 23 yard gain (4th and 1 converted afterwards)

455 yards. Jason, we will have to agree to disagree if you think your last sentence still applies. This wasn't failing to completely dominate, this was a game where the O grabbed a 17-yard lead, and the defense let them back in it. The turnover is no help, but neither is allowing an easy 30-yard completion to the 1-yard line. Miscues led to OU putting a lot of points on the board. Credit to their O, too, but they earned those points by beating the D tonight. Maybe my expectations for the D are too high, but I think there's reason to be. When your D is one of the top units in the country, and when the O has a gimpy QB and is missing its top WR, I think most expected the D to help win the game.

It was a team loss. I am not blaming the loss on the D. But the performance fell far short of expectations.