I was at the game

mwj98

Taylor never really had time to do much down the field, tho he never made any real effort at getting out of the pocket either, but that has been an issue all year.

please rewatch the game. I got texts all night. Deer in the headlights. That is not a good thing.

OU was 1/16 on 3rd down conversions. you cant win with stats like that.

This team has 7 losses in 2 seasons. In all 7, no TD were thrown by the starting QB s. You think that means anything?

First of all, I gotta say, if you haven't been to Jerry's world, you gotta see it.

Next, after trading taunts with Holieway, and fighting off the Sooner fans sitting behind me, I noticed one thing about Martinez. It was like he was just going through the motion. I can't help but think about the rumors circulating that he might transfer. It's sad when you have to rely on a running back to throw a touchdown pass. He missed some wide open receivers. I saw an intersting exchange between him and McNeil. McNeil was all over him about being open, and he was....Martinez just shrugged it off. Something is going on and it's gonna come to a head real soon.

I don't have anything against Watson....but I thought, after 5 years, our offense would be further along. We either need to dial down the playbook, or go a different direction. Just seems like too many mistakes continue to happen.

McNeil not being used in one of the biggest travesties of this season.

Here's the thing, though, you can't call for a 70% running offense and then complain when a receiver isn't getting a lot of touches. Touched on this before, but there have been times when McNeil has been open but Taylor just didn't look to him, so it's not really on the OC here when the QB just can't take the checkdown he should be taking a lot of the time. With a running offense McNeil's touches were going to be limited anyway. I'm sure Reed's emergence didn't help but can't complain too much about that.

I can't possibly disagree with what you are saying. What I will say, however, is that a three year 'clutch - go to playmaker' has gone non existent.

First of all, I gotta say, if you haven't been to Jerry's world, you gotta see it.

Next, after trading taunts with Holieway, and fighting off the Sooner fans sitting behind me, I noticed one thing about Martinez. It was like he was just going through the motion. I can't help but think about the rumors circulating that he might transfer. It's sad when you have to rely on a running back to throw a touchdown pass. He missed some wide open receivers. I saw an intersting exchange between him and McNeil. McNeil was all over him about being open, and he was....Martinez just shrugged it off. Something is going on and it's gonna come to a head real soon.

I don't have anything against Watson....but I thought, after 5 years, our offense would be further along. We either need to dial down the playbook, or go a different direction. Just seems like too many mistakes continue to happen.

McNeil not being used in one of the biggest travesties of this season.

Here's the thing, though, you can't call for a 70% running offense and then complain when a receiver isn't getting a lot of touches. Touched on this before, but there have been times when McNeil has been open but Taylor just didn't look to him, so it's not really on the OC here when the QB just can't take the checkdown he should be taking a lot of the time. With a running offense McNeil's touches were going to be limited anyway. I'm sure Reed's emergence didn't help but can't complain too much about that.

Shawn Watson is the frickin quarterback coach. If the quarterback is not seeing the open man over and over again, it's because the proper coaching is not getting done. The critical points of each play are not being analyzed enuff by a man getting paid 375,000 a year to do so. Get rid of the guy. I stuck for him a year agon and early this year but there has been ZERO improvement, if anything degression. As my name is, accountablility. Cant do your job, youre gone.

I cried a little inside when building off of the Holidy Bowl with Lee's healthy arm was scrapped for a running QB offense. I thought a big problem would be not getting the ball into our playmakers' hands enough. There was the glory of the OSU game, though. It's been an up and down ride, as you figure with a freshman QB. I don't know that it was the best decision this year but I don't know that our old offense does that to OSU either.

I cried a little inside when building off of the Holidy Bowl with Lee's healthy arm was scrapped for a running QB offense. I thought a big problem would be not getting the ball into our playmakers' hands enough. There was the glory of the OSU game, though. It's been an up and down ride, as you figure with a freshman QB. I don't know that it was the best decision this year but I don't know that our old offense does that to OSU either.

Agreed. And it just adds to my point that Watson is not getting the coaching done with Taylor. We are 12 games into this season and he looks more uncomfortable now than he did 4-5 weeks ago. It's just sickening. And you bring up the OSU game which was marvelous but that just shows how much this offense digressed. It's nothing personal against Watson as a person, but he just simply is not getting the job done.

Agreed. And it just adds to my point that Watson is not getting the coaching done with Taylor. We are 12 games into this season and he looks more uncomfortable now than he did 4-5 weeks ago. It's just sickening. And you bring up the OSU game which was marvelous but that just shows how much this offense digressed. It's nothing personal against Watson as a person, but he just simply is not getting the job done.

I'd almost argue that OSU was the only solid offensive performance this year. As you noted, it is unlikely that it would be repeated.

I think that K-State, Washington and Missouri can't be written off, but they were anomalies.

I think we had several great performances on O this year. I brought up the OSU game as the only big passing performance. I think that aspect of it was a one-off. Watson identified and exploited weaknesses very well when we had our guys healthy early in the year and his hands weren't tied as much. But against other teams, those weaknesses involved runs or zone read like Wash, KSU, Missouri, so it wasn't the type of game where McNeil was going to get 5 catches for the most part.

Shawn Watson is the frickin quarterback coach. If the quarterback is not seeing the open man over and over again, it's because the proper coaching is not getting done.

No......

This is completely misguided criticism IMO.

Shawn Watson is a very quality QBs coach and we are extremely unlikely to get someone better - IMO.

That the QB is not seeing the open man over and over again is because that QB is Taylor. A redshirt freshman who spent his redshirt year playing scout team WR because nobody wanted him as a QB, even Nebraska until later on. Completely raw with a poor mental grasp of the offense. Because he is both a redshirt freshman and because of his situation/background as a player. Same story with Green.

If we bring in projects, we have to accept that they are going to be project players, potentially for the duration of their careers, at this position. The light bulb may never come on.

We just have to make do with Taylor's strengths and weaknesses because a lot of these issues can't be corrected in the middle of a live fire season. This is a very big project player that had a very long way to go, that has had very little time to cover that ground. I'm amazed he has come as far as he has, but obviously he turned it off completely tonight.

Taylor never really had time to do much down the field, tho he never made any real effort at getting out of the pocket either, but that has been an issue all year.

please rewatch the game. I got texts all night. Deer in the headlights. That is not a good thing.

OU was 1/16 on 3rd down conversions. you cant win with stats like that.

This team has 7 losses in 2 seasons. In all 7, no TD were thrown by the starting QB s. You think that means anything?

Yes, it means we have an OC/QB coach who doesn't get them prepared or call plays that suit what is working and tonight our O-line was getting schooled on nearly every pass attempt in addition to a frosh QB who wasn't going through any sort of progression.

Martinez hopefully isn't transferring and if he keeps working and grows as a QB and can stay healthy he could be really amazing. He's got a few years, hopefully he has a bitter taste from the losses and works hard in the offseason to try and make sure he never tastes it again. He's definitely a special athlete, just needs to work on complete mastery of the QB position and getting the team to feel his will to win.

Just to add to all the good posts. I had seats behind the oklahoma bench, on the 30 yd line. I was looking at the players and drooling over holly rowe's assistant...good god!! But, I had to keep telling myself that Martinez is a young pup. He's young and inexperienced and simply put, he just needs to mature. Once he matures, he will be unstoppable.

I'm disappointed we lost, almost knocked some OU fan out in the stands. Him and his boy were chirpin all night behind me. But, we had a good season, lost 9-6, 20-23, can't remember Texas. But combined, less than 20. I'm good with that. Defense stepped up. Because I remember how the D used to get us crushed. Now we need better balance. Got a good crop of guys coming back. We should be fine.

But, I had to remember to tell myself, Martinez is young. We have all been there. Give him some time. But, Pelini probably should have made a change with Green. Green makes me nervous, but maybe a changed could have settled Martinez down or something. Hell, Burkhead runs the offense better than any of them.

BTW, I was a bit surprised at the number of husker fans last night. Damn we travel well. With Norman being so close, I thought for sure we would be outnumbered. Not at all!! Plus, after the game, husker fans were very respectful. Some OU fans were talking major trash and the NU fans just smiled, nodded and kept walking. Classy.

Martinez was playing hurt, and was playing hard. He played like a freshman, that's all. McNeill also gave him a couple pats on the helmet at one point in the game.

Just stop. Everybody should be hoping like crazy that Martinez is coming back, because the kid could be an OUTSTANDING QB.

:LOLtartar Now thats funny. Thanks for the pick-me-up this morning. I needed a joke today.

Whoever brought up Norvelle, I thought I saw him on the sidelines. I think I'd like to have him back now, was a bigger loss than we all thought.

Maybe Norvell became a visionary at UCLA. :dunno

Whoever brought up Norvelle, I thought I saw him on the sidelines. I think I'd like to have him back now, was a bigger loss than we all thought.

WOW :facepalm:

Was'nt he the OC when they played Texas Tech and got blown out 70 to something?

Don't know, but thanks for the facepalm buddy. All I know was our offense seemed to be more productive then than it is now.