I was at the game

mwj98

Whoever brought up Norvelle, I thought I saw him on the sidelines. I think I'd like to have him back now, was a bigger loss than we all thought.

WOW :facepalm:

Was'nt he the OC when they played Texas Tech and got blown out 70 to something?

You are correct, as he was trying to implement a west coast offense with Power option players. Hmm, but it sure was clicking by 06, and 07, 08? Those were players developed and fine tuned by Norvelle and yes even Callahan. All Watson did was take over with the talent and scheme in place. 06 was year 3 for Norvelle and for the most part was pretty decent offensively, by end of 07, tho Watson was OC, it was churning along pretty good, and 08 was a good year off. as well. Now, 2 years later it's right back in the toilet.

Taylor never really had time to do much down the field, tho he never made any real effort at getting out of the pocket either, but that has been an issue all year.

please rewatch the game. I got texts all night. Deer in the headlights. That is not a good thing.

OU was 1/16 on 3rd down conversions. you cant win with stats like that.

This team has 7 losses in 2 seasons. In all 7, no TD were thrown by the starting QB s. You think that means anything?

I'm not putting Mr. Martinez down - he is an end of the year freshman, much like Landry last year against the Huskers. But . . . I kept yelling at him to throw it away, not take the sack. I kept think of this.

deer_in_the_headlights_look.jpg

However - at the end of the game when everyone knew we were going to throw the ball, I wish either Lee or Burkhead would be throwing the passes.

I didn't even log on yesterday. I was very disapointed. That was a very winable game and the coaching sank us.

I've tried not to get down on coaches too much but WOW.

I believe Martinez can be a very good QB. He needs much better coaching and possibly some play calling that is more sutable to his strengths. I also believe our offense has had more than ample time to get better and develope. It simply hasn't happened and excuses are like rear ends, everyone has one, nobody wants to hear them! I hate to say this but, if we can't find a competent OC then I guess we are stuck with a very good defensive coordinator as a head coach. That was embarrasing, another year of an enept offense with serious talent within it.......

BRI, do you mean more productive than this year, or do you mean more productive than this year while we are playing a gimpy QB whose only real strength was in his legs?

I don't think 2006 was more productive at all than it is now, and 2007 either, because while we put up the yards and points, it was often in garbage time, so you have to see those stats realizing that.

First of all, I gotta say, if you haven't been to Jerry's world, you gotta see it.

Next, after trading taunts with Holieway, and fighting off the Sooner fans sitting behind me, I noticed one thing about Martinez. It was like he was just going through the motion. I can't help but think about the rumors circulating that he might transfer. It's sad when you have to rely on a running back to throw a touchdown pass. He missed some wide open receivers. I saw an intersting exchange between him and McNeil. McNeil was all over him about being open, and he was....Martinez just shrugged it off. Something is going on and it's gonna come to a head real soon.

I don't have anything against Watson....but I thought, after 5 years, our offense would be further along. We either need to dial down the playbook, or go a different direction. Just seems like too many mistakes continue to happen.

Can't disagree more. You didn't what i saw. Him talking to other QBs, interacting with team mates giving them helmet taps. He looked to me more like someone had a talk with him that finally sunk in. IF you want to make it any were you have to have a team behind you.

First of all, I gotta say, if you haven't been to Jerry's world, you gotta see it.

Next, after trading taunts with Holieway, and fighting off the Sooner fans sitting behind me, I noticed one thing about Martinez. It was like he was just going through the motion. I can't help but think about the rumors circulating that he might transfer. It's sad when you have to rely on a running back to throw a touchdown pass. He missed some wide open receivers. I saw an intersting exchange between him and McNeil. McNeil was all over him about being open, and he was....Martinez just shrugged it off. Something is going on and it's gonna come to a head real soon.

I don't have anything against Watson....but I thought, after 5 years, our offense would be further along. We either need to dial down the playbook, or go a different direction. Just seems like too many mistakes continue to happen.

Can't disagree more. You didn't what i saw. Him talking to other QBs, interacting with team mates giving them helmet taps. He looked to me more like someone had a talk with him that finally sunk in. IF you want to make it any were you have to have a team behind you.

I agree with the disagree. I was at the game. Did Taylor have a very poor game? Yes. However, I thought he looked very interested in the game and like a very good teammate. I even mentioned to my buddy that after all the rumors I was amazed at how good of a teammate Taylor looked to be. Guy just had a bad, bad game.

BRI, do you mean more productive than this year, or do you mean more productive than this year while we are playing a gimpy QB whose only real strength was in his legs?

I don't think 2006 was more productive at all than it is now, and 2007 either, because while we put up the yards and points, it was often in garbage time, so you have to see those stats realizing that.

Zoogs,

Even if Taylor was healthy teams had figured out how to stop him the 2nd half of the season. He didn't have the same options he had before and I guess we'll find that out against Washington again. We had way more options back then IMO.

Zoogs,

Even if Taylor was healthy teams had figured out how to stop him the 2nd half of the season. He didn't have the same options he had before and I guess we'll find that out against Washington again. We had way more options back then IMO.

Really? Which teams, in the second half of the season, stopped a healthy Martinez? For what it's worth, I don't think he'll be healthy for the rest of the year. I think Texas pretty much owned Taylor, but even then we had 'em a few times in the passing game, so that's a bit to Taylor's credit.

He was injured in the Missouri game, so if that's the second half of the season you are talking about, it doesn't make any sense as we never saw him healthy after that. If you're talking about before, he nailed Missouri through the air a few times with a 210 passer rating on 9 attempts before going out, and this coming off of the Oklahoma State game. When healthy, the only thing that stopped Taylor was his own inconsistency and cold spells.

Zoogs,

Really? Which teams, in the second half of the season, stopped a healthy Martinez? For what it's worth, I don't think he'll be healthy for the rest of the year. I think Texas pretty much owned Taylor, but even then we had 'em a few times in the passing game, so that's a bit to Taylor's credit.

He was injured in the Missouri game, so if that's the second half of the season you are talking about, it doesn't make any sense as we never saw him healthy after that. If you're talking about before, he nailed Missouri through the air a few times with a 210 passer rating on 9 attempts before going out, and this coming off of the Oklahoma State game. When healthy, the only thing that stopped Taylor was his own inconsistency and cold spells.

+1 .... Healthy Martinez = WINS...UT got after him and "he looked like a freshman" then, but IMO after he saw tape of that game he got some confidence in himself and performed. Not being mobile brought "the deer in the headlights" out of Martinez and he needs a OC who can calm him down and mature the youngman into the QB he could become. I was at home watching asking the TV why the hell is he still in the game when it's obvious his confidence is gone..INT,fumble,fumble then recover. BIG 10 play.....run the ball and you either have a dual threat or great pocket passer, where does NU fit this scheme?

The thing that separates Martinez from the other two quarterbacks is his ability to RUN! Why didnt he take off and run on a few of those scrambles? If he wasnt healthy enough to run then Green or Lee gives you a better passer and a better leader.I dont really blame Watson. Hes been here with Callahan when the offense was totally different and had to adapt to new coaches, schemes, and players over the years.Its pretty easy to call plays when you have a dynamic player (Martinez) who can take off and run for a couple touchdowns on his own. Early in the year thats the way it was.What do you do when he cant do that any more.Watson also called the plays when we ran all over Missouri K-state Etc. He also cant control the constant fumbling,stupid penalties,dropped passes, and bad Q-back decisions that cost us 3 games this year!

The thing that separates Martinez from the other two quarterbacks is his ability to RUN! Why didnt he take off and run on a few of those scrambles? If he wasnt healthy enough to run then Green or Lee gives you a better passer and a better leader.I dont really blame Watson. Hes been here with Callahan when the offense was totally different and had to adapt to new coaches, schemes, and players over the years.Its pretty easy to call plays when you have a dynamic player (Martinez) who can take off and run for a couple touchdowns on his own. Early in the year thats the way it was.What do you do when he cant do that any more.Watson also called the plays when we ran all over Missouri K-state Etc. He also cant control the constant fumbling,stupid penalties,dropped passes, and bad Q-back decisions that cost us 3 games this year!

Whew, this is really a rampant problem. Lee is out for the year and will only see garbage time/emergency snaps. I must say Bo has done an incredible job of keeping something like that under the wraps to most. Even though it isn't hard-to-find information.

I agree on the Green call. There's an argument you could make, but Bo, despite Taylor not being healthy and his strength being in the running game, decided to go full steam ahead with Taylor in preparation for OU.