Martinez

Okay - I will admit right out that I am an OU fan, but have followed Nebraska and respected their team since I was at OU back in 1975. I have watched most of the Nebraska games (in London, so what I could get on line), and think that Martinez is amazing. But saying that, this was not the Martinez that I have watched throughout the year. He was not nearly 100%. He was probably not even 70%. He was not much of a threat to run at all and that is what he does. He is not the best of throwing QB's, so he needed to run the ball. He is also a true freshman QB! He will make mistakes. I have been reading some posts on here blaming him, but none of this is his fault. He played hard and tried to win. Made some freshman mistakes, but is to be expected. Nebraska was in it until the end and could have easily won. In fact, I think they would of if they kept Burkhead in. That is the thing that I did not understand. He was moving the offence just like Martinez did earlier in the year. Bringing Martinez in to throw the ball? I was so happy when that happenned as I didn't believe he could win it with his arm. That was the mistake in this game. Martinez is good and will only get better at throwing.

Good luck in the Big Ten. Will miss the games! Give them hell there as I hate the teams in the Big Ten, but now have one to follow!

• Fire 4

Okay - I will admit right out that I am an OU fan, but have followed Nebraska and respected their team since I was at OU back in 1975. I have watched most of the Nebraska games (in London, so what I could get on line), and think that Martinez is amazing. But saying that, this was not the Martinez that I have watched throughout the year. He was not nearly 100%. He was probably not even 70%. He was not much of a threat to run at all and that is what he does. He is not the best of throwing QB's, so he needed to run the ball. He is also a true freshman QB! He will make mistakes. I have been reading some posts on here blaming him, but none of this is his fault. He played hard and tried to win. Made some freshman mistakes, but is to be expected. Nebraska was in it until the end and could have easily won. In fact, I think they would of if they kept Burkhead in. That is the thing that I did not understand. He was moving the offence just like Martinez did earlier in the year. Bringing Martinez in to throw the ball? I was so happy when that happenned as I didn't believe he could win it with his arm. That was the mistake in this game. Martinez is good and will only get better at throwing.

Good luck in the Big Ten. Will miss the games! Give them hell there as I hate the teams in the Big Ten, but now have one to follow!

Are you located in London???? I am at one of the RAF's here in England. Sucks to watch the games at 1am and not get to bed til 0430 but hey at least I get to watch the games

red shirt freshman + gimped-up feet = not so good a showing.

i'm not going to say cody or zac could have done better, but i will say martinez might have had a better game if *he* were physically better.

if cody felt that he could hit the burners and jet away from trouble, maybe he wouldn't have felt the compulsion to force some truly questionable throws. (cough cough *ENDZONE TURNOVER* cough) heck, if he were better, he might have had a better time planting his feet and making those throws.

eh, whatever. bowl game and a possible 11 win season is nothing to sneeze at either.

as freshman as he is and as banged up as he was last night (not being a real run threat), the offensive coaches sure didn't do anything to put him in a position to make the plays he WAS capable of making. OP is right, rex and helu shoulda carried the day.

red shirt freshman + gimped-up feet = not so good a showing.

i'm not going to say cody or zac could have done better, but i will say martinez might have had a better game if *he* were physically better.

if cody felt that he could hit the burners and jet away from trouble, maybe he wouldn't have felt the compulsion to force some truly questionable throws. (cough cough *ENDZONE TURNOVER* cough) heck, if he were better, he might have had a better time planting his feet and making those throws.

eh, whatever. bowl game and a possible 11 win season is nothing to sneeze at either.

This is the last thing I'm going to read on HB for a day or two. You are 100% correct, sir. An eleven win season would be an improvement over last year, which was itself an improvement over the year prior to that. Good perspective. As irritated and crushed as I still am from last night, your post helped my mood. (A little.) ;)

I don't blame Taylor for the loss like people say he's a freshman and needs to learn to look off receivers, go down his progression, and throw the ball away. This will come with time.

Should he have been in all game probably not. The one fumble he had he actually tucked it away and had both hands on it, but the defender made a good play. The Int was just a bad decision.

Just wondering why they thought a QB with turf toe and ankle sprain running down the sidelines as a wr and having the running back throw to him at that time and moment was a good idea? If they kept running the ball and even got some yardage there in fg range.

as freshman as he is and as banged up as he was last night (not being a real run threat), the offensive coaches sure didn't do anything to put him in a position to make the plays he WAS capable of making. OP is right, rex and helu shoulda carried the day.

It's mind-boggling that you can have so much success running the football in the first quarter (between the tackles, mind you) only to have the game plan switch into a zone read/passing fiasco.

I figured there was no way Taylor was going to start, because he was still every bit as banged up as I figured he was. When he *did* start, I thought fine, try him for a while, and it was working out for a while, and we blew open a few nice plays and hung 17 points on the Sooners, not so much because of Taylor, but whatever, things were working out.

The longer he played and it became obvious exactly how gimpy and ineffective he really was (particularly the endzone INT, which to me was the whole key to the loss, or at least the point where it was clear we weren't going to win without major adjustments), I figured Rex Burkhead's Wildcat Show would take the field and get things straightened out. I am still shell-shocked that they only gave it ONE SERIES in the second half, got scared after Rex' fumble even though it was plainly looking effective, and went back to the Taylor sh#t that was most definitely not working.

Since the game ended, I've been getting sick of:

- people laying it all on wounded Martinez like he should be kicked off the team or something,

- the same people assuming that Cody running the same stuff would have been the next choice, and that that wouldn't have been any better...well, duh.

- the same people also apparently not realizing how different the Wildcat scheme really is...snapping to Rex, creating an 11-on-11 running situation with Cody merely being there to either act as a blocker or take the occasional snap to hand off or throw a short pass just to mix things up. If you look back 80 years to Single-Wing style football, quarterbacks were just blocking backs in those days and snapping to the running back was common.

I also liked the fact that when they did run it, they had Taylor in there was a wide receiver...why not put a guy there that the Sooners haven't seen any film of as a WR, and don't know exactly how to match up with? If Taylor had 100% wheels, that could be a *devastating* scheme next year. And it could have been real strong last night too, if Watson hadn't been too chickensh#t to stick with it.

And that is the key...THAT guy needs to go, even though he probably won't.

I don't blame Taylor for the loss like people say he's a freshman and needs to learn to look off receivers, go down his progression, and throw the ball away. This will come with time.

Should he have been in all game probably not. The one fumble he had he actually tucked it away and had both hands on it, but the defender made a good play. The Int was just a bad decision.

Just wondering why they thought a QB with turf toe and ankle sprain running down the sidelines as a wr and having the running back throw to him at that time and moment was a good idea? If they kept running the ball and even got some yardage there in fg range.

I know taylor is a freshman and he has room to grow. He should be coached up already on throwing the ball away when no one is open. You could label these on freshman mistakes but at this point in the season he is not freshman anymore.

How in the world do you get sacked when you have 8 seconds to get rid of the ball.

Are you located in London???? I am at one of the RAF's here in England. Sucks to watch the games at 1am and not get to bed til 0430 but hey at least I get to watch the games

Yes! Here in London! I agree with you. Stay up and watch every game on the internet when I can find it. Most are there. As mentioned, watch all of OU games and the Nebraska games that I could find. Most watched Nebraska this year because I knew we would end up playing sometime! The only times that I ever wanted Nebraska to loose (other than playing OU), was when you had that last jerk of a coach who just never got it. Never understood college football and never understood the history of the cornhuskers or the relationship between OU and Nebraska. Wanted him gone just as much as the Nebraska Fans did!

Have been watching on the internet or listening to the radio for the last 10 years. My family still does not understand why I stay up and listen to the games all night. Just can't stop. What are you doing on the RAF base?

my honest opinion he has gotten worse as the season has went along. Granted I realize he has been hurt and limited in the plays they call while he is in at qb, BUT since opposing defense's have geared up to stop him he has not shown any sign of fixing some of his mistakes. U would think watching film that he and the coach's would be able to see what need's fixed and what doesn't. I mean come on there were times last night when my three year old niece could have thrown the ball away with some of the time he had, and he just stood there and let them sack him? I,m not saying that he hasnt fixed some thing's since the start of the season, but the things that have been happening that everyone on this board has been pointing out about not checking down recievers throwing the ball away ect. have been happening all year long!! I guess what i,m saying is it get Irritating hearing all the time " well the kid is a freshmen u have to remember that" Again that may be the case But looking over the games this year he has gotten worse as the season has went along with his read's throws and management of the offense!

most the time we never see freshmen mistakes because they are not on the field. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize that martinez is learning while on the field what most QB's learn in 2-3 years of practice.

Martinez is a joke. Always has been. Ill put a hundred on it, that he wont be the qb next season. 2-3yrs of practice? Tell that to Frazier. Martinez and Watson can pack there bags together.