Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

The more all of this plays out, the more I doubt Bo would promote from within. I'm not 100% sure that offensive staff (and some of the defensive staff) is entirely his to begin with. His connections to a number of those guys span a single season in which he was on the defensive side of the ball. Furthermore, a number of them have no connections to Watson either (which is why I kind of agree with Zoogies that Watson doesn't deserve all of the criticism he's receiving because this isn't entirely his doing). BUT, I do think he needs to go. Look at the coaches...

[don't see this as me bashing any coaches]

Watson: holdover - would this have been Bo's decision or Tom's?

Gilmore: ties to Watson - would this have been Bo's decision or Tom's?

Beck: ties to Bo

Carl P: obvious ties to Bo

Brown: ties to Tom (not to mention he was recruited back into coaching from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes - not exactly a breading ground for elite coaching)

Cotton: ties to Bo...maybe? After a single season? Not sure

JP: ties to Bo

Ekeler: ties to Bo

Sanders: ties to Tom

So, out of the 9 guys on the staff, Bo definately picked 4 (Ekeler, JP, Carl, Beck), Tom picked 2 (Brown, Sanders), and 3 (Watson, Gilmore, Cotton) are questionable how they ended up on the staff. Which 3 have a noose around their necks?

That's why I see Bech as the ONLY possible option for coordinator if they promote, and I don't see that happening. I think Bo (if he makes a change) uses the chance to get his own staff in the fold. Or, as we are maybe seeing play out - Tom has said no changes and Bo said to hell w/ it, vivos los miami. But that can be debated in another thread. :)

The more all of this plays out, the more I doubt Bo would promote from within. I'm not 100% sure that offensive staff (and some of the defensive staff) is entirely his to begin with. His connections to a number of those guys span a single season in which he was on the defensive side of the ball. Furthermore, a number of them have no connections to Watson either (which is why I kind of agree with Zoogies that Watson doesn't deserve all of the criticism he's receiving because this isn't entirely his doing). BUT, I do think he needs to go. Look at the coaches...

Brown: ties to Tom (not to mention he was recruited back into coaching from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes - not exactly a breading ground for elite coaching)

So, out of the 9 guys on the staff, Bo definately picked 4 (Ekeler, JP, Carl, Beck), Tom picked 2 (Brown, Sanders), and 3 (Watson, Gilmore, Cotton) are questionable how they ended up on the staff. Which 3 have a noose around their necks?

Sanders was DB coach in 2003 when Bo was DC. Pretty sure Bo asked Sanders to come back to NU and work for him when he took over as HC.

Sanders was DB coach in 2003 when Bo was DC. Pretty sure Bo asked Sanders to come back to NU and work for him when he took over as HC.

Possibly, but his ties are far more closely related to Tom than to Bo.

just seems odd to me that in 18 years of coaching experience - he brought 2 friends (Beck/Carl), 2 LSU grad assistants (Ekeler/JP), and the rest were here or have Nebraska ties. Not one from the OU staff, not one from the LSU staff. Not one down from the pros. I don't really follow coaching hires much, but when Kiffin went to Tennessee, those were his guys on the staff, not a bunch of holdovers. And when a young Dooley came in, you didn't see any guys brought back from the glory days of TN football. Same goes for Saban

I agree, but shouldn't you also apply the same connection to Cotton as well? Why would Cotton be tied to Bo and not Osborne, while Sanders is tied to Osborne and not Bo? Both Cotton & Sanders were 1 year associates of Bo in 2003, yet are also former NU players under Osborne.

I agree, but shouldn't you also apply the same connection to Cotton as well? Why would Cotton be tied to Bo and not Osborne, while Sanders is tied to Osborne and not Bo? Both Cotton & Sanders were 1 year associates of Bo in 2003, yet are also former NU players under Osborne.

That's why I questioned where Cotton came from. (i didn't know Cotton had played for NU) But, Sanders had 6 years of ties to this program before the 1 with Bo. 3 of them where with Tom. Do you not think Tom had a heavy hand in picking this staff? There too much Osborne influence in there not to think that Bo either wasn't capable, or able to assemble his own staff. If I had to pick from those 2 I'd go w/ "not able"

That's why I questioned where Cotton came from. Sanders had 6 years of ties to this program before the 1 with Bo. 3 of them where with Tom. Do you not think Tom had a heavy hand in picking this staff? There too much Osborne influence in there not to think that Bo either wasn't capable, or able to assemble his own staff.

I'm not questioning how the staff was put together. I was questioning your assumption between the Cotton, Sanders to Bo, Osborne connection. Basically questioning your logic on the matter more than anything.

I'm not questioning how the staff was put together. I was questioning your assumption between the Cotton, Sanders to Bo, Osborne connection. Basically questioning your logic on the matter more than anything.

Ok, so Cotton is far more connected to Tom. Furthers my point. If Bo is going to impart his vision on this offense...it needs to be with his guys, not a patchwork staff put together from historical NU teams.

With the game evolving as fast as it does - some of these guys from the 80's and 90's are dinosaurs. Would like to see Bo bring in some more young guys. Ekeler/JP have worked out great IMO. In addition, they related well to high school students and are therefore some of the best recruiters we have.

If anyone thinks Tim Beck came here to be an RB coach forever, lol.

I'd put odd at 90% Tim Beck being our OC if Watson leaves, 8% Barney and 2% somebody from the outside.

If it happens, like you said it's because he didn't come her to be a RB coach forever. I think the decision would be more about keeping him, than about finding the best guy for this job. This offense is in serious need of new, young blood IMO. Beck might be able to do that. I wouldn't be entirely upset if they gave him a chance at it. But, if Watson goes, then Barney and Gilmore need to go as well, because getting rid of Watson, and not allowing the next OC to put together a staff isn't fair to the next guy. It will be the same ol' sh!t. It's not like Watson got a chance to build his own staff...but that ship has sailed. The next guy MUST have that opportunity.

I'd put odd at 90% Tim Beck being our OC if Watson leaves, 8% Barney and 2% somebody from the outside.

If it happens, like you said it's because he didn't come her to be a RB coach forever. I think the decision would be more about keeping him, than about finding the best guy for this job. This offense is in serious need of new, young blood IMO. Beck might be able to do that. I wouldn't be entirely upset if they gave him a chance at it. But, if Watson goes, then Barney and Gilmore need to go as well, because getting rid of Watson, and not allowing the next OC to put together a staff isn't fair to the next guy. It will be the same ol' sh!t. It's not like Watson got a chance to build his own staff...but that ship has sailed. The next guy MUST have that opportunity.

Who exactly would fire Cotton and Gilmore? Tim Beck who has coached with them for the last 3 years or Bo Pelini who is ultimately responsible for the defense, offense, and entire team? I agree that if Wats were to leave Tim Beck would become OC. I just dont see him becoming OC and then being allowed to fire anyone.

Who exactly would fire Cotton and Gilmore? Tim Beck who has coached with them for the last 3 years or Bo Pelini who is ultimately responsible for the defense, offense, and entire team? I agree that if Wats were to leave Tim Beck would become OC. I just dont see him becoming OC and then being allowed to fire anyone.

Hypothetically speaking, if Watson accepts a HC job elsewhere, I'd bet that Gilmore would follow him. They coached together at Colorado before coming to Nebraska.

That's why I see Bech as the ONLY possible option for coordinator if they promote, and I don't see that happening. I think Bo (if he makes a change) uses the chance to get his own staff in the fold. Or, as we are maybe seeing play out - Tom has said no changes and Bo said to hell w/ it, vivos los miami. But that can be debated in another thread. :)

Watson: holdover - I think this is Tom's rec but I also think it's hard to go against that. Not just for continuity, Shawn can OC at a number of schools, such as Alabama, that wanted to lure him away

Gilmore: ties to Watson - Tom/Watson? Whoever it was, :(

Beck: ties to Bo - I didn't remember who the heck Beck had ties to, thanks!

Carl P: obvious ties to Bo - :)

Brown: ties to Tom (not to mention he was recruited back into coaching from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes - not exactly a breading ground for elite coaching) - Yeah, this is definitely Tom, buuuut, hard to argue against now given the job he has done.

Cotton: ties to Bo...maybe? After a single season? Not sure - I think this was Tom. As I said before, Bo has been around OCs and OL coaches after he's left. All of them for probably longer periods than he's been with Barney. That he would go back to Barney as the best one among them, is really ???

JP: ties to Bo - Definitely

Ekeler: ties to Bo - Definitely

Sanders: ties to Tom - Again Tom; as Nexus points out the connection is tenuous. But, Sanders has a much better resume than Cotton, and Sanders has been just outstanding as well.

My thoughts on that. A bigger point in this than hindsight and the job the coaches have done though, is the collective resumes here. I mean, Bo was a damn fine DC and a hard-hitting name. How often is it when a guy like that gets hired, that the staff isn't a lineup of hard-hitting studs? Either established big names or known up-and-comers. There are definitely some solid guys in this bunch, but the whole hiring philosophy here I think could be looked at closely and questioned if another approach would not be better for Nebraska.

In Football 101 a couple of years ago Sanders told the story of how he got the job here at Nebraska. Long story short, he watched the news and saw that Bo had been hired, had dinner, laid down to go to bed, and got a call from Bo. Bo said (this is a quote from Sanders), "Let's go," and hung up. Sanders was on the first plane out of wherever he was at the time (somewhere back East) and got here early the next morning.

So although Sanders has obvious ties to the program, Bo was instrumental in getting him back here.

• Fire 3