Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

I'm saying unless Watson builds up a longer track record of success as an OC, people are going to always look at his OC career as inconsistent. If things ever go a little south (and come on, it's Vanderbilt), people will look back and say, was he ever a star OC anyway? And be probably less forgiving than we are now. People will see what they want to sometimes, too. I mean, it's not like Callahan was ever a proven offensive mind, was he? He took Gruden's players to the super bowl one year and got blown out, that's it, and he's lucky to have had Gannon...or something to that effect.

When you are hired from coordinator to head coach, the usual implication is that you were a stud coordinator. Ability aside, perception obviously will not bear that out, and you can argue all day about the situations he has had last year and this year, or how terrific the offense was when healthy, but the perception will still be there. Supposedly Malzahn and Nutt collided over Nutt wanting to keep things closed up and conservative and rely on the ground game, and Malzahn wanting to spread the field and be diverse/no-huddle. As much success as he had there at Arkansas, it was good for Malzahn to go to Tulsa and run his own show, show a lot of success there, to get his next shot, where he has again done great as an OC.

Not comparing Watson's abilities to Gus here, Gus is an obvious superstar. Just saying if he had stayed at Arkansas and was never allowed to open things up, people's opinions about him today could be a lot different. If Watson steps up to an HC spot, this is where his legacy as an OC will end for now. I think that would be unfortunate as he definitely should feel like he has more to prove.

well, I said I wasn't going to argue with you anymore. So instead I will agree with you. He has sucked as an OC here at Nebraska and if he leaves for another job he will always be remembered as the guy who, despite a top defensive unit and 2 cracks at a CC, couldn't put the mustard on the bread. I hope if he gets a HC job, he excels at it. which would further prove, as you have stated, that his track record as a superstar OC production was really pretty flat.

TAKE THIS FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH..

My roomate works with Aaron Watson, Shawn's kid.. He said Aaron told him that Shawn is going to Vandy, done deal.. My roomate said take it for what it's worth because Aaron is a huge douche... Just passing it along, no link, nothing. So if you don't believe it, I don't care, because I'm not sure I do. No need to tell me that you won't believe it 'til it's official, don't want to get your hopes up, or whatever, because I don't care.

Hard to say exactly what this means.

But Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and his wife were spotted by a Journal Star staff member Wednesday in the terminal at Omaha's Eppley Airfield. Anita Watson held a three-ring binder with the word "Vanderbilt" across it.

That makes sense considering Watson reportedly is a candidate for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt. The Tennessean newspaper reported Monday that Watson likely was to receive an in-person interview for the job this week.

Perhaps that interview occurred or will occur in Denver. That's where Watson's trip stopped, according to a source.

Interviews for head coaching vacancies often are conducted at sites away from campuses to avoid media attention and protect coaches' privacy.

David Williams, Vanderbilt vice chancellor of athletics, has said he will select three candidates -- maybe four -- from the first round of interviews to become finalists. There then likely would be a second around of interviews, The Tennessean reported.

The 51-year-old Watson is in his fifth season at Nebraska and fourth as the team's offensive coordinator. Watson, who was the head coach at Southern Illinois from 1994-96, has expressed interest in becoming a head coach again if the right situation arose.

LINK

My roomate works with Aaron Watson, Shawn's kid.. He said Aaron told him that Shawn is going to Vandy, done deal.. My roomate said take it for what it's worth because Aaron is a huge douche... Just passing it along, no link, nothing. So if you don't believe it, I don't care, because I'm not sure I do. No need to tell me that you won't believe it 'til it's official, don't want to get your hopes up, or whatever, because I don't care.

Ya Know Watts Has Good Hair.

• Fire 1

Ya Know Watts Has Good Hair.

:clap

FWIW, Washington Post says that Watson did not make Vandy's final 2

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/12/source_franklin_a_finalist_for.html

James Franklin, Maryland’s offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, has emerged as one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, a source familiar with the details of the search said Wednesday.

Stanford offensive coordinator Greg Roman is believed to be the other finalist.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/12/source_franklin_a_finalist_for.html

James Franklin, Maryland’s offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, has emerged as one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, a source familiar with the details of the search said Wednesday.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

http://voices.washin...nalist_for.html

James Franklin, Maryland's offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, has emerged as one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, a source familiar with the details of the search said Wednesday.

Wow. Easily the worst news I've heard all day.

Want to cuss right now.

I was so eagerly awaiting the day where I wouldn't have to hear his name brought up again. Perfect.

Can't wait for 2011!

Maybe this will make you feel better from yesterday? That article mentioned 2, but the guy doing the hiring wanted 3+ for the second round.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101207/SPORTS0602/12070321/Vandy-closes-in-on-football-coach-finalists

Vice Chancellor of Athletics David Williams said he will select three candidates — maybe four — from the first round of interviews to become finalists. There would then likely be a second round of interviews.

The cut could come as early as today or as late as next week.

"What I'd prefer to do is probably take more than three to the second round, but to get this thing done, three is probably the optimal number," said Williams, who has declined to comment on candidates during the search process.

I had a telemarketer call me today to see if I was interested in being the head coach at Vanderbilt. I told them this is a "do not call number" and asked to be removed from their list....

When they called me I told them I would take the job but then they asked for a credit card......?

http://voices.washin...nalist_for.html

James Franklin, Maryland's offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, has emerged as one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, a source familiar with the details of the search said Wednesday.

Wow. Easily the worst news I've heard all day.

Want to cuss right now.

I was so eagerly awaiting the day where I wouldn't have to hear his name brought up again. Perfect.

Can't wait for 2011!

damnit watson why must you be so full of failll.

He needs to triforce harder!!!!