Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

The Auburn OC already shot it down. Reason why, he wants to win. Financially it's a good gig and academically a great school other then that your just a whipping boy. All around a bad look if you take football seriously.

The Auburn OC has about the best OC gig in the nation right now. He's about go play for a BCS national championship - and is in line to take the next Florida type HC position that opens up. (Michigan in 2011?) Watson clearly is not at that level, nor will he ever be. This is a PERFECT gig for Watson. He won't win a lot of football games, but there is a lot more to being a coach than that. We don't always see it, or emphasize it around here - but while our receivers are more concerned with "showcasing their skills" (stupid sound bite Kinnie) - a lot of Vanderbilts guys are concerned with their careers after football and their impact on the university and community. I might be giving too much credit to the Vanderbilt players (and conversely not enough to ours), but IMO this would be a great coaching job if you can accept the fact that you aren't going to win 10 games a season.

It's a far greener pasture than the OC at Nebraska, both financially and from a career standpoint. At 53, I'd be planning for the next 5-10 years. Vanderbilt would fit into those plans nicely. It wouldn't be the path I'd pick for an "up-and-coming" coach like Carl, but Watson certainly doesn't fit that mold. There are only so many teams out there that aren't perenial "whipping boys" - maybe 40 of them. ONLY 5-6 of them will have HC positions open this year. Watson won't qualify for any of them. This is a great opportunity to get into a BCS HC position.

Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty large mismatch. Always wondered where the number was coming from when I couldn't reproduce it. I wouldn't discount the bowl game. It's probably one of the higher quality defenses we played all year, so if anything it should be given an extra look.

I am encouraged by the 65-point jump in the rankings, which would have been a lot more had Taylor and Zac not gone down. I'm sure the pre-injury games were just anomalies, though! :)

I would be to if we had a more balanced offense. NU right now is 9th in Rushing Offense but 109th in Passing Offense. Being very one-dimensional makes it easy to defend NU.

Offensive balance is a red herring. You don't have to have balance if you execute at least one facet of your offense at a high level. The 1995 Huskers were 89th in the country in Passing Offense, but threw for only 1,700 yards. By contrast the 2010 Huskers were 109th in Passing Offense, but threw for 2,010 yards. The two teams had nearly the same YPA; 7.5 in 1995, 7.7 in 2010. Clearly the difference between the two offenses was the fact that 1995 Nebraska rushed for 1,000 more yards than 2010 Nebraska (4,378 vs. 3,375/more than 1 YPC greater in 1995).

If 2010 Nebraska has a healthy Taylor all year long, a healthy Helu and a healthy O Line, we're another 300-500 yards closer to 1995 Nebraska than we ended up, and nobody cares that we had mediocre passing stats.

Nebraska needs three things going forward: Health, Consistency and Self-Control. If we harness those three things, we're going to kick a lot of ass in the next few years.

Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty large mismatch. Always wondered where the number was coming from when I couldn't reproduce it. I wouldn't discount the bowl game. It's probably one of the higher quality defenses we played all year, so if anything it should be given an extra look.

I am encouraged by the 65-point jump in the rankings, which would have been a lot more had Taylor and Zac not gone down. I'm sure the pre-injury games were just anomalies, though! :)

I would be to if we had a more balanced offense. NU right now is 9th in Rushing Offense but 109th in Passing Offense. Being very one-dimensional makes it easy to defend NU.

Offensive balance is a red herring. You don't have to have balance if you execute at least one facet of your offense at a high level. The 1995 Huskers were 89th in the country in Passing Offense, but threw for only 1,700 yards. By contrast the 2010 Huskers were 109th in Passing Offense, but threw for 2,010 yards. The two teams had nearly the same YPA; 7.5 in 1995, 7.7 in 2010. Clearly the difference between the two offenses was the fact that 1995 Nebraska rushed for 1,000 more yards than 2010 Nebraska (4,378 vs. 3,375/more than 1 YPC greater in 1995).

If 2010 Nebraska has a healthy Taylor all year long, a healthy Helu and a healthy O Line, we're another 300-500 yards closer to 1995 Nebraska than we ended up, and nobody cares that we had mediocre passing stats.

Nebraska needs three things going forward: Health, Consistency and Self-Control. If we harness those three things, we're going to kick a lot of ass in the next few years.

The difference between the 2010 and 1995 Offenses is no one could stop the 1995 offense. No matter how much they tried. And if the running game is working (which it clearly was in 95) then there's no need to pass. With the 2010 offense, when defenses shut down the run (and teams did) and forced them into passing situations, they faltered. The 2010 offense was not capable enough to overcome being one dimensional. The 95 Huskers were. If a defense focused solely on stopping the run, the 95 Huskers took it as a challenge and essentially forced their will on the defense and moved the ball on the ground. The 2010 Offense didn't have that ability. As I've seen quoted before (think it was in someones signature) The 95 Huskers were like the eleventh plague unleashed by God (or something to that effect)

The difference between the 2010 and 1995 Offenses is no one could stop the 1995 offense. No matter how much they tried. And if the running game is working (which it clearly was in 95) then there's no need to pass. With the 2010 offense, when defenses shut down the run (and teams did) and forced them into passing situations, they faltered. The 2010 offense was not capable enough to overcome being one dimensional. The 95 Huskers were. If a defense focused solely on stopping the run, the 95 Huskers took it as a challenge and essentially forced their will on the defense and moved the ball on the ground. The 2010 Offense didn't have that ability. As I've seen quoted before (think it was in someones signature) The 95 Huskers were like the eleventh plague unleashed by God (or something to that effect)

:laughpound That's a good line.

I know it's a stretch to compare 1995 to 2010 (or any other year), but it's the benchmark, so I used them.

:laughpound That's a good line.

I know it's a stretch to compare 1995 to 2010 (or any other year), but it's the benchmark, so I used them.

Here's the actual quote that I found on Facebook via Google

‎"The 1995 Nebraska team was like the unreported 11th plague unleashed by God and Florida was Egypt." - from LSU board

I think Bo knew who he wanted for the defense from the start. Sanders was a part of HIS plan. I firmly believe this. Bo coached with the Husker staff in 03, the OU staff in 04, the LSU staff for the next 3 years (as DC/co-DC in each spot)...he had enough ties to put together EXACTLY what he wanted on HIS side of the ball. People questioned these two unknowns in Ekler and Paps...look how they've turned out.

If watson leaves...Bo goes through the process of finding the OC HE wants this time as the defense is "fixed" and all his focus can be on the offensive side. If Watson leaves I could see Bo making changes across the board to accommodate the new OC.

I think Bo knew who he wanted for the defense from the start. Sanders was a part of HIS plan. I firmly believe this. Bo coached with the Husker staff in 03, the OU staff in 04, the LSU staff for the next 3 years (as DC/co-DC in each spot)...he had enough ties to put together EXACTLY what he wanted on HIS side of the ball. People questioned these two unknowns in Ekler and Paps...look how they've turned out.

If watson leaves...Bo goes through the process of finding the OC HE wants this time as the defense is "fixed" and all his focus can be on the offensive side. If Watson leaves I could see Bo making changes across the board to accommodate the new OC.

That would be really cool. Would love to see who Bo would eventually hire in that scenario. I just wish he had 'his' guys on the sidelines already offensively speaking.

People should be careful what they wish for because it just might come true. If Watson leaves, well let's just say Barney ball scares the ever living crap out of me.

Wow....we lose all these zero TD games the last couple of years but "it scares the crap out of you" if we made Barney the OC?

Wtf kind of logic is that? Jeeesh, genuis......please explain to me how Barney or anyone else we get is going to do "worse" than your hero SW? "Worse" than zero TDs? "Worse" than 2009's 99th in total offense?

Replacing a proven grossly inept OC coach sure as hell doesn't "scare the crap out of me". If whoever it is doesn't hack it, so what? Just get another one. Anything is better than staying with proven failure (because it scares the crap out of us even trying to approach some low level of competence).

Barney has been an OC before. What's the worst thing that could happen? Rather than winning 10 games a year, we go to winning 6-7 games a year. The only time Bo coached with Cotton was in 2003 when Cotton was the OC. If Cotton is a better OC than Watson, then I think he'd already be the OC. Once upon a time, there was a certain DC at Nebraska that was said to be a proven failure. TO stayed the course with him, and I think we know how that turned out. What was the total offensive ranking for the 2008 team? What was it for this year's team?

Something to think about

I was watching College Football Live this morning when they were talking about Miami's hiring of Al Golden. I cant remember who it was (may have been Jesse Palmer, I dont know) but whoever it was noted that Randy Shannon's ultimate downfall was the number of coaching changes he made during his time there. Many of the programs that are doing well today (Oklahoma, Auburn, Bama ect.) have been together for a longer period of time. Before you start calling for Watsons head, give this a second thought.

Something to think about

I was watching College Football Live this morning when they were talking about Miami's hiring of Al Golden. I cant remember who it was (may have been Jesse Palmer, I dont know) but whoever it was noted that Randy Shannon's ultimate downfall was the number of coaching changes he made during his time there. Many of the programs that are doing well today (Oklahoma, Auburn, Bama ect.) have been together for a longer period of time. Before you start calling for Watsons head, give this a second thought.

Oklahoma, Auburn and Bama are bad examples IMO. Oklahoma has gone thru several OC's over the years, Auburn went thru a huge coaching change between Tuberville and Chizek (besides we all know they have the best QB money can buy) and Bama went thru several coaching changes recently as well. I understand the concept, continuity breeds success (sometimes) but it can also breed complaceny which can cause problems.

• Fire 1

Something to think about

Oklahoma, Auburn and Bama are bad examples IMO. Oklahoma has gone thru several OC's over the years, Auburn went thru a huge coaching change between Tuberville and Chizek (besides we all know they have the best QB money can buy) and Bama went thru several coaching changes recently as well. I understand the concept, continuity breeds success (sometimes) but it can also breed complaceny which can cause problems.

Example: these two...

7317c411-cabb-5ffd-8d7f-8a569dc18009.image.jpg