Tipping Point

Husker_x

The article touches on this as do some of you, but I want to say it all anyways.

If you're going to point the finger in this game, the finger should be pointing to Watson and the thumb should be pointing to Cotton.

For Watson, he has lost six games in the last year because of the inability to score one touchdown. Save one 66 yard run and one trick play/Wildcat filled drive, Nebraska only managed two field goals in three quarters and no touchdowns. They fumbled 4-5 times and it looked pathetic.

And the play calling..my god. We dominated the first quarter on runs between the tackles and the Wildcat. Then, you spend the entire second half calling the zone read against a defense that had far more speed on the outside than they had sure tacklers on the inside. OU did not change much of their defense in the second half of the game, yet you changed your offense to one that involved run, pass, pass, punt. Martinez had some bad throws, yes, but he also should have had more help from the run game than he did. (Side note - our offensive line was not fast enough to pull to the outside to block last night, yet we kept doing it over, and over, and over)

For Cotton, what's up with the offensive line, man? They have been a model of inconsistency all year. They sometimes play with bad technique, they don't blow anybody off of the ball, and they get RIDICULOUS penalties (false starts) all the time. And it's definitely not a strength issue, because Dobson is a fantastic S&C guy. Every unit can have a bad game, but the offensive line played poorly against SDSU, Texas, Texas A&M, and played bad against Kansas. One could also argue that they didn't play well against Idaho, when our offense was responsible for only 24 points against a rather meager defense.

Overall, the point is this - Nebraska has lost six games in the last two years because of poor offensive execution when a defense was playing about as well as you could hope for. For every good offensive performance, we get one equally bad one. How much do you want to bet Nebraska plays well in their bowl game offensively?

I can't sit here anymore and defend Watson and the staff. The offense's preparation is far different from the defense and so is the ability to execute. Bo came to Nebraska to first fix the defense, and he kept some offensive staff members as well as hired comfortable ones in order to allow him ample space to fix what he needed to fix. Mission is accomplished, bro. The defense is back and has been for two years now. It's time to start putting people on the OTHER side of the ball that can make this into a championship team. Right now, I don't believe Watson or Cotton are capable of this.

Don’t take this as a disagreement with you. You are 100% correct on your points.

However the one thing that should be looked at in regards to the O-line play is the play calling. Wats with his west coast/zone read hybrid offense puts a lot of stress on the O-line. The blocking schemes are 100% different for the O-line when we run out of the I-Formation vs the Zone Read.

The O-line does a pretty dam good job at executing the drive, pin, man blocking schemes when were under center. The games you listed as poor performances by the O-line are correct but look at the play calling. You can’t expect 300+ pounders to pull play after play on that outside zone read when we haven’t established the inside running game. The defense will crash the “C” gaps and maintain contain on the outside forcing the runner back to the inside and there is nothing that the O-line can do about it.

This is kind of a sh**ty situation. We have a lot of good players coming in and we might lose quite a few if Watson leaves. On the other hand, we might have the same old story next year if Watson stays.

Like I said back in 2007 it would be worth it to lose Gabbert if it meant replacing Callahan and Cosgrove. You can't keep someone just on the offchance that a recruit might go somewhere else.

Would anyone that is ready to fire Watson concede this team on offense is an improvement from last year? Would they also concede that this is year 1 for this style of offense? Would you also concede that NU is young very young? Would you also conceded that injuries again bit this team?

Credit needs to be given to this staff, with young injured players to win 10 games. I do not see other programs doing more than this program. It is back to elite status. Yes it has bugs to work out, but that is better then starting over.

On top of that look at our replacements on the o line next year. Qvale, who's 6'7 330 lbs and A Rod who's 6'6 320 lbs will more than likely hold down the guard spots. Can we expect them to run damn near sideline to sideline consistently on zone read plays? Like I said before, we have to many mismatches on our offensive staff. It was fine when Pelini first started to keep some sort of familiarity from the prior years but it's now time for a change to create a common background from our coaches.

Don’t take this as a disagreement with you. You are 100% correct on your points.

However the one thing that should be looked at in regards to the O-line play is the play calling. Wats with his west coast/zone read hybrid offense puts a lot of stress on the O-line. The blocking schemes are 100% different for the O-line when we run out of the I-Formation vs the Zone Read.

The O-line does a pretty dam good job at executing the drive, pin, man blocking schemes when were under center. The games you listed as poor performances by the O-line are correct but look at the play calling. You can’t expect 300+ pounders to pull play after play on that outside zone read when we haven’t established the inside running game. The defense will crash the “C” gaps and maintain contain on the outside forcing the runner back to the inside and there is nothing that the O-line can do about it.

I actually agree with you, for the most part. In my post I quickly criticized how disappointed I was in the fact that we pull linemen all the time and they simply just can't get to the edge fast enough every to play to block the speed of the defense.

Plus, those plays where the linemen pull are usually slow developing plays that can be ruined by a linebacker with good speed and a keen eye for finding which gap to crash.

The perfect example is the play-calling down near the goal line. Have you ever noticed how many times we pull tackles and guards to hit gaps rather than just straight dive right into opposing linemen? Perfect example was against Colorado. We got down to the goal line and called two straight run plays that involved pulling linemen, and each time our running back got stuffed. We had to call a fairly tricky pass play just get into the end zone on that drive.

I actually agree with you, for the most part. In my post I quickly criticized how disappointed I was in the fact that we pull linemen all the time and they simply just can't get to the edge fast enough every to play to block the speed of the defense.

Plus, those plays where the linemen pull are usually slow developing plays that can be ruined by a linebacker with good speed and a keen eye for finding which gap to crash.

The perfect example is the play-calling down near the goal line. Have you ever noticed how many times we pull tackles and guards to hit gaps rather than just straight dive right into opposing linemen? Perfect example was against Colorado. We got down to the goal line and called two straight run plays that involved pulling linemen, and each time our running back got stuffed. We had to call a fairly tricky pass play just get into the end zone on that drive.

Yea that playcalling against CU down at the 1 was very bizzare.

I know we have talent on the O-line, just not sure about the talent under the head sets.

Would anyone that is ready to fire Watson concede this team on offense is an improvement from last year? Would they also concede that this is year 1 for this style of offense? Would you also concede that NU is young very young? Would you also conceded that injuries again bit this team?

Credit needs to be given to this staff, with young injured players to win 10 games. I do not see other programs doing more than this program. It is back to elite status. Yes it has bugs to work out, but that is better then starting over.

No absolutely not. Watson's playcalling is at question here just like last year. We have enough offensive weapons to score 3 points in 2 quarters with a kicker than can hit from 60. Is the offense better. Maybe. At times they play like it. However we turned the ball over 4 times last night and have fumbled all season so I'm not ready to say they are better. They are certainly more up and down than last year's shell offense.

There is no excuse for continuing to play into your opponents' strengths. Taylor was not playing poised so why give him plays where he has to think so much. QB draws are fine. Direct handoffs are fine. Fade routes in the endzone on 3rd and goal with a 17 point lead and OU getting lots of pressure all night. A shovel pass to slow down the pass rush. I mean I don't know why you wouldn't want to put the ball in rex's hands on a shovel or screen pass on third and long.

OU's speed was too much for plays run wide or slow developers (see Rex throw to Taylor...sure it was there but OU's pursuit was too fast for such a play to give rex time to throw). For the record I liked the decision to take a shot on 2nd down because I'd rather force OU to drive the field to win than to try to keep them out of the endzone from the 25 yard line in OT...the 3rd down was the horrible call.

When we have 8 more points a game, 90 more yards a game, and leap 50 spots in the offensive rankings, I don't know how in the world you could *possibly* say "Absolutely not" to "This offense is an improvement from last year.

Nobody is saying it is deadly or has done everything right, but come on now.

For all you watson lovers...if, and i say "if" he comes back next year...are you willing to bet a 9 or 10 game winning season and decent bowl game against Big 10 defenses..i for one dont see any of this happening with the current offensive coaching staff..better defenses..and stiffer competition than the cupcakes of the Big 12 north

I admire the posters who have backed Watson so unconditionally. Truely I do. Personally, I want him gone, but I admire you for standing up to everyone else hating on him. My question is very simple: in your mind, what do you have to see to justify firing him? I know the arguments you've made, I've read them (dinged up qb, new qb every year, young qb, etc.) but honestly, what has to happen that can't be excused?

Quarterback coach - Joe Ganz was good. Everyone else...? Yeah he's had injuries, why can't he develop a backup that's serviceable enough to hand the ball off, make a couple throws, and not turn the ball over.

Game planning - I'd say he's had some good game plans, and some that were just average.

Preparing players to execute - No he can't control drops directly. But he can darn well work to prepare them to execute, get them focused, find the guys that will do the job, etc. This has been a fail. If you need an example, just look at the guys he continued to play even though they consistently failed to execute and then look at the guys that execute everytime but don't get many touches.

In game adjustments - I suppose someone will try and argue that he does this, but I don't see it. I'll gladly listen to you, but it'll take a lot to convince me. Just look at the aTm and CC games. In both games, he had a run game going, got into striking distance, and then went away from what was working to have a turn-over prone, sack-happy Freshman drop back to pass. That. Is. A. Joke.

After watching 2 Championship defenses go to waste, I'm ready for a change. What will it take for you to want a change? And don't tell me the offense did ok yesterday, they had one big play, a interception set them up on the 10, and some long field goals. When can the excuses stop?

• Fire 1

I'm usually not one to cry wolf... But I don't have any confidence in this team as long as Watson is here.

Bill Callahan's offenses were not bad. They could put up points in a hurry. Watson's are awful. Against all but Sun Belt teams.

Looks like we fired the wrong offensive mind.

I admire the posters who have backed Watson so unconditionally. Truely I do. Personally, I want him gone, but I admire you for standing up to everyone else hating on him. My question is very simple: in your mind, what do you have to see to justify firing him? I know the arguments you've made, I've read them (dinged up qb, new qb every year, young qb, etc.) but honestly, what has to happen that can't be excused?

Quarterback coach - Joe Ganz was good. Everyone else...? Yeah he's had injuries, why can't he develop a backup that's serviceable enough to hand the ball off, make a couple throws, and not turn the ball over.

Game planning - I'd say he's had some good game plans, and some that were just average.

Preparing players to execute - No he can't control drops directly. But he can darn well work to prepare them to execute, get them focused, find the guys that will do the job, etc. This has been a fail. If you need an example, just look at the guys he continued to play even though they consistently failed to execute and then look at the guys that execute everytime but don't get many touches.

In game adjustments - I suppose someone will try and argue that he does this, but I don't see it. I'll gladly listen to you, but it'll take a lot to convince me. Just look at the aTm and CC games. In both games, he had a run game going, got into striking distance, and then went away from what was working to have a turn-over prone, sack-happy Freshman drop back to pass. That. Is. A. Joke.

After watching 2 Championship defenses go to waste, I'm ready for a change. What will it take for you to want a change? And don't tell me the offense did ok yesterday, they had one big play, a interception set them up on the 10, and some long field goals. When can the excuses stop?

Fantastic post, especially the bolded part. I've been saying that for awhile now and couldn't agree more. The way his offense prepares, focuses, and executes is a lot different than the way the defense does.

Looks like we fired the wrong offensive mind.

I would GLADLY keep Bill Callahan as an offensive line coach. But as an offensive mind? No.

The way his offense prepares, focuses, and executes is a lot different than the way the defense does.

We were talking about this tonight. Some people say this is Bo's fault because he motivates the defense but ignores the offense. Here's my thought:

What has been NU's best offensive quarter this year? The 1st. They've probably had some pretty good 3rd quarters as well, but I'd say it's pretty much the 1st quarter. Bo fires the team up before the game; before the 1st quarter. After that, the offense probably doesn't deal with him much which is completely understandable. I've never been in their locker room or on the sideline, but if it's like anything I've experienced, most of their time the rest of the game will be spent away from Bo and with their offensive coaches. Bo needs someone on that offensive staff to figure out how to light a fire as well as he can.