If Watson is gone...

Guys, Shawn Watson is not going anywhere, unless he gets a "head Coaching job". If our receivers would have caught some balls in the Texas game, Taylor Martinez does not get hurt and we don't fumble on our end of the field during the Oklahoma game, we would not be talked about any of this. We would be playing for the National title. One person does not cost us a game, no I am not happy about last nights performance, but it is not Shawn Watson's fault the players did not hold onto the ball. It was the players themselves who did not execute the offense the way it should have been. We were moving the ball all night, then bang a turnover. This coaching staff will stay in place unless they get a head job, Bo is not going to let anyone go at this time.

I agree! If you call the same plays Watson did during the Missouri game, and the blocking isnt there, or Helu fumbles a couple times the result is very different.All 3 losses this year were because of poor execution by the players, not the play calls.Bottom line is if the players run the plays properly (Block well, dont fumble , catch the ball,make good decisions at QB, and keep stupid penalties to a minimum)the OC ,and all the other coaches, look like a heroes. Otherwise people are calling for your head.

Perhaps because this isn't Madden, and there is more to coaching than play-calling. How is it that everyone can so easily explain away Watson's shortcomings with "players didn't execute"? How many games can we explain away to poor execution before someone is held accountable? The QB not make good decisions falls on lack of coaching by the QB coach. Guess who that is? When did "coaching" get removed from Watson's job description leaving soley "formulate plays" - because player execution is exactly what coaching gives you. Don't coach...players won't execute, simple as that.

I wish someone would put together a seasonal breakdown of Watson's offense, then remove the big plays and see what you're left with. I mean honestly - that's the difference between the games everyone calls him a genius for (Washington, 1st qtr Missouri, 1st half Oklahoma) and the games we lost (Texas, A&M, 2nd half Oklahoma). Watson's offensive philosophy depends on big plays (which is fine if you have playmakers)...but big plays are almost always generated from defensive breakdowns. In essense, Watson's entire offensive scheme is crap against a disciplined defense. Which is why we consistently lost against top-50 defenses. In fact, that's one of the few consistent things we can count on. When you are constantly searching for that big play - you can't count on anything w/ the offense.

We should have kicked the 62 yard field goal w/ 3:30 left. Alex had that much leg in him. Then we should have kicked the 64 yarder on 4th and 4. It had a better chance than a Taylor pass.

Coaches need to put the players in position to succeed. Anyone could see on Sat. that Martinez was struggling, so why keep dropping him back when we are already in field goal range? Or at least tell him over the headset he needs to get rid of the ball. Rexcat was working, so why not keep doing it until they show they can stop it. And as far as fumbles go, you gotta be kidding me if you don't blame coaches for this. We have 41 freaking fumbles this year people! 41! Most in the country. If it was one player who had fumbling issues, its on the player. When you have 4 or 5 players on the team that fumble on a CONSISTENT basis, its on the coaches, plain and simple. Apparently ball handling drills are not being stressed properly in practice.

If Watson would happen to be offered the Vanderbilt job right now, does he finish the season with Big Red, or take the job ASAP? I don't see him following in Bo's shoes and going back to coach the bowl game (especially not the Holiday Bowl). Who takes over on our current staff for the bowl? Barney? How about our AD?

There are some reasonably good excuses for Wats the second half of the season, as there were for most of last season. But that doesn't change the fact that his offenses over the years have been painfully average. How many years has he been in the Big 12 and how many years has his total production been in the top three (quarter) of the conference?

Guys, Shawn Watson is not going anywhere, unless he gets a "head Coaching job". If our receivers would have caught some balls in the Texas game, Taylor Martinez does not get hurt and we don't fumble on our end of the field during the Oklahoma game, we would not be talked about any of this. We would be playing for the National title. One person does not cost us a game, no I am not happy about last nights performance, but it is not Shawn Watson's fault the players did not hold onto the ball. It was the players themselves who did not execute the offense the way it should have been. We were moving the ball all night, then bang a turnover. This coaching staff will stay in place unless they get a head job, Bo is not going to let anyone go at this time.

It is his fault for not coaching ball security well enough. Just as it is the WR coaches fault for dropped balls, teach the kids to catch or recruit kids who can. It is also SW's fault for calling the zone read about 2354234 times when it worked about 3 times that entire game. Once off of a blown Oklahoma assignment. Well coached players hang on to catches and don't drop passes, that's not conjecture it's fact. How many dropped passes have you seen out of OKstate recivers? Oklahoma recivers? not alot. fumbles? also a small number. I coach children who play kids 2 and 3 years their senior and they don't drop the ball that much. Taylor making the wrong reads? ALL his fault? no he has not been coached well enough. The players are sloppy and make bad mistakes and turn the ball over because they are poorly coached. falls right on Wat's shoulders

I agree! If you call the same plays Watson did during the Missouri game, and the blocking isnt there, or Helu fumbles a couple times the result is very different.All 3 losses this year were because of poor execution by the players, not the play calls.Bottom line is if the players run the plays properly (Block well, dont fumble , catch the ball,make good decisions at QB, and keep stupid penalties to a minimum)the OC ,and all the other coaches, look like a heroes. Otherwise people are calling for your head.

Perhaps because this isn't Madden, and there is more to coaching than play-calling. How is it that everyone can so easily explain away Watson's shortcomings with "players didn't execute"? How many games can we explain away to poor execution before someone is held accountable? The QB not make good decisions falls on lack of coaching by the QB coach. Guess who that is? When did "coaching" get removed from Watson's job description leaving soley "formulate plays" - because player execution is exactly what coaching gives you. Don't coach...players won't execute, simple as that.

I wish someone would put together a seasonal breakdown of Watson's offense, then remove the big plays and see what you're left with. I mean honestly - that's the difference between the games everyone calls him a genius for (Washington, 1st qtr Missouri, 1st half Oklahoma) and the games we lost (Texas, A&M, 2nd half Oklahoma). Watson's offensive philosophy depends on big plays (which is fine if you have playmakers)...but big plays are almost always generaited from defensive breakdowns. In essense, Watson's entire offensive scheme is crap against a disciplined defense. Which is why we consistently lost against top-50 defenses. In fact, that's one of the few consistent things we can count on. When you are constantly searching for that big play - you can't count on anything w/ the offense.

We should have kicked the 62 yard field goal w/ 3:30 left. Alex had that much leg in him. Then we should have kicked the 64 yarder on 4th and 4. It had a better chance than a Taylor pass.

chuckleshuffle:corndancechuckleshuffle It's good to be able to 100% agree with someone. Poor execution is on the coaches.