The "Classiest Fans in College Football"

The "classy" thing to me was always silly. Yes there are some very nice and polite people that happen to be husker fans. Just like there are those same people who are fans of a lot of teams.

For me, it comes down to what the OP was talking about. Man it is easy to be graceful in victory when you slobber knock nearly every team you play and win 80+% of your games. Many people saw how polite and non threatning most husker fans were. When you always win its just the way it is.

On the flip side when you alway lose its easier to take. You take the heart break easier, the non calls from officials, the "we got screwed" just isnt as bad, all because your used to it. I know alot of bad teams that had polite and non threating fans after losses. Heck they would tailgate with you after you beat them by 50 or 5. They are just laid back guys. Easy to take losing when you alway lose.

Of course this is all true. Its the reason why when fans of teams that are not used to winning big games go crazy when they do win those games. They can get out of control, start running their mouths, get in people faces and can generally just act like a-holes. Again on the flip is when fans of a team that is not used to losing starts getting beat, and in some cases badly. Those fans complain, blame everyone else, poo and whine and generally are just sore losers.

This may or may not apply to you, but we all know them. And they are the ones that get the most attention. You are more likely to recall the butthead then the 50 other nice people you ran across. Every fan base has them; some have more than others.....

Most fans from most fan bases are just like you (especially regionally) however your thoughts of a fan base can be tainted or glorified depending on what game and time period you with those fans. Its really not fair to label an entire group of people for the actions of so few. Do some husker fans start fights, vandalize property, act rudely and even cross the line by making threats, or course they do. But those idiots wear all colors. Scarlet and cream, black and gold, crimson and blue, burnt orange and white and so on.... They are the minority as Sheepdog said its 80/20 and with the crazies....sometimes 95/5. The majority of us are just fans of our team, up with wins/down with losses, but not rude, mean or threatning. We love our teams and the games. If your cool to us, we are cool to you.

On a side note, being knowledgeable and classy are not the same. Plenty of guys on this board who very bright, but I would never associate them with class ;)

Also i think the reason the "class" thing gets brought up is to throw an egg on prince charming’s face. Ne is a prince charming in CFB and there are a lot of husker fans who beat their chest about this (in some cases rightfully so). And like it or not people, especially those under you, want to see you fail, or look dumb, or what ever and will take their opportunity to try and take you down a notch or two. Doesnt make it right, but NE is 'that' guy from highschool. :lol:

Just my $0.02

I was in Dallas for the Big 12 Championship. I clapped for Oklahoma after we lost and so did a few in my section. Most Nebraska fans were mad at Nebraska, Martinez and Watson.

The next day I was at a mall with my Husker gear on and I ended up talking to a gentleman from Texas. He said he was sorry to see us leave the Big 12 and said he would miss having our fans in the area. He said all the Nebraska fans were friendly and very well behaved. He would not say as much for the Oklahoma fans.

I was in Dallas for the Big 12 Championship. I clapped for Oklahoma after we lost and so did a few in my section. Most Nebraska fans were mad at Nebraska, Martinez and Watson.

The next day I was at a mall with my Husker gear on and I ended up talking to a gentleman from Texas. He said he was sorry to see us leave the Big 12 and said he would miss having our fans in the area. He said all the Nebraska fans were friendly and very well behaved. He would not say as much for the Oklahoma fans.

Thats nice, however i wonder if that same texas fan would walk up to a random OU fan and be as kind and polite as he was to you? One of my best friends in this world is nice to Ill. fans, KSU fans, all the south teams fans and so on. But he is a real jerk to ku fans and can be a butt towards ne fans. Within the same season i watched him shake hands with, have a polite conversation with and even buy drinks for an OU fan in columbia and then tell a ku fan where he could stick his hotdog before eating it.

point is, you have to take it in context. My buddy who can be a jerk looks different to different people. Poll the teams in the north about each other and you will get differenct answers than you would if you asked the south teams fans about the north teams

I'm gonna apply the 80/20 rule to this issue.

First, I love Huskerboard! My favorite posters are the mods ... Knapp is probable the one I identify most with. Mods are mods because they have been here the longest, are involved, are knowledgeable ... and they are mature in what they say and how they say it. I love reading Mods posts ... there sound, fair ... reasonable ... yet spirited with a touch of passion. There vision is clear ... with a tint of RED ... as you would think it would be. They are the 20% of the rule.

The other 80% are a bunch of RED glass wearers that are so blinded they can't think straight! My God, they are fear-mongers who seem to be riding the Titantic and are sinking. They don't show up everyday to read the board ... but they show up to gloat after a win and show up to call for someone's head after every freakin' loss. I can do without that 80%. They drive me nuts ... it's embarrassing to have them in the fan base.

At the end of the day ... 20% of this board is good ... 80% is not. I read the 20% and try as best as I can to avoid the crappy 80% ... and hey ... if the shoe fits ... wear it. Personally, I'm quite pissed at many posts on this board after the losses ... a week later I can tolerate them.

Here's my main point ... I'll put our 20% up against any other fan bases and we win! I'll also put our 80% crappy fans up against any other fan base ... and my guess would be we probably win that.

In that end ... I don't really care if we are known as a "classy" fan base. I choose to be a part of the 20% in what I say and how I say it ... and I choose to hang out with the 20% I appreciate. I stand up for what is right and call a spade a spade.

My thanks to you on this board that bring your "A" game ... you are why I'm here.

SheepdogMark

A little self agrandising eh? ;)

I look at it like this: Are we classy or just nice in general and does it really matter what the term is?

When both my dad and I went to a few away games, we were offered, by the opposing fans, to eat at their tail gate parties, some insisted. Why? They said the reasoning is that when they went to NU to watch games, NU fans were polite to them and they would feel awful if they didn't treat us the same (Teams like OSU and VT). We talked to a Mizzou fan this year and he thanked us for our hospitality and said that if we went to Mizzou to watch a game, he could guarantee that we wouldn't be treated the same.

Basically I would want to be treated the same as we treat them. VT warned us if we went to WV for a game to make sure we had rental cars, because if they see an opposing team, they would vandalize the car and other do tactics. I for one and grateful that we don't have the "Oakland Raiders" attitude as fans.

I held a huge tailgate for the board at the SC game in LA. We were parked directly in the middle of hundreds of SC fans. I think we fed a little over 400 Nebraska fans that day. Most were having a very good time (a few beers too many). I had forwarned the SC fans that there would be alot of Nebraska fans there. All day long I heard nothing but how great our fans were, how kind and respectful, considerate and polite they were from the SC fans around us. Never an angry word or a harsh glance from a single one.

My friends, there were a lot from this board there, and all conducted them as Nebraskans. We my friends are different than most fan bases. You can say you want to change, but the Good Life is engrained in you and it will always be. My wife alwasy asks me why we do the tailgates for complete strangers, and the answer is always the same, great people, great fans and friends to anyone in need. Never change Nebraska fans, you are what make us the program we are.

I look at it like this: Are we classy or just nice in general and does it really matter what the term is?

When both my dad and I went to a few away games, we were offered, by the opposing fans, to eat at their tail gate parties, some insisted. Why? They said the reasoning is that when they went to NU to watch games, NU fans were polite to them and they would feel awful if they didn't treat us the same (Teams like OSU and VT). We talked to a Mizzou fan this year and he thanked us for our hospitality and said that if we went to Mizzou to watch a game, he could guarantee that we wouldn't be treated the same.

Basically I would want to be treated the same as we treat them. VT warned us if we went to WV for a game to make sure we had rental cars, because if they see an opposing team, they would vandalize the car and other do tactics. I for one and grateful that we don't have the "Oakland Raiders" attitude as fans.

Those are both good thoughts and if more people followed those thoughts the games would be more fun IMHO. As for that MU fan, that guy is a jackwagon to say that. I have see plenty of great interaction in columbia from ne and MU fans together. Sharing food and drinks outside and having fun inside. Personally I have always made nice and even do so everytime i have on Mizzou gear in normal everyday life just so maybe one time, someone might think that "hey...that mu fan was pretty cool". So that maybe next time he/she doesnt think all tiger fans are turds. Its pathitic taht i feel that way, but with our own fans saying stupid comments like that I feel that i have too.

....man that guy chapped my rear!... He should have invited you down and offered to show you the same time you showed him. instead he trys to scare you away and makes us all look like butts. What a freaking tool. stupid mu fans.... <_<:facepalm:

Here is my take on this entire "classiest fans" topic. We are the "greatest fans" in college football because we sell our stadium out, show up rain, shine, or distance, and love our Huskers with a passion that can't be explained. If you're a fan of an opposing team I'll talk to you about football and trade some friendly jabs with ya, but if you get disrespectful, don't expect me to be "classy." I will stick up for my team, our tradition, and our values. When you step on that field on Saturday against the Huskers, there is no friend sitting next to you. I won't talk crap to you and rub things in, but I want your team to be destroyed by my team. At the end of the game I want your team to wish, beg, and pray that they never have to play the Huskers again. If that is the way your team feels when it leaves the field I'm a happy man. 60 minutes of sheer and utter pain is coming your way. When the final whistles blows..........I'll extend my hand to you and offer some kind words win or lose........until we meet again.

i believe some of your facts are wrong...

we dont call ourselves the "classiest" fans. that would be absurd. rather, its the "best" fans. this is harder to argue with when you factor in the 300+ sellout streak, especially when you consider that nebraska in november = the arctic circle. we've never been known to be the classiest fans, and thats a mistake that i see a lot of people making on this board lately.

when you state that we applaud opposing teams that we've crushed, i'm not sure that's actually true. instead, i know our fans have applauded for an Oklahoma team that came to Memorial Stadium and blew us out, and thats something that ive rarely seen in sports today

we've always been known for telling people how it is. i hate listening to analysts that call our fanhood title into question after we boo refs or after the dan beebe incident. what do they expect us to do? roll over and take it? i dont think so. if you give us respect, we'll give it back twice over. but if you try to trample over us and treat us like a floor mat, you're going to hear from us. thats the way its always been, and thats how it'll continue to be.

• Fire 1

when you state that we applaud opposing teams that we've crushed, i'm not sure that's actually true. instead, i know our fans have applauded for an Oklahoma team that came to Memorial Stadium and blew us out, and thats something that ive rarely seen in sports today

I do know that when we won against Mizzou this year, the fans next to the Mizzou's fans/band clapped for the team and band left the field.

Ok what I am going to say is not a personal attack on anyone here. If you get butt hurt I am sorry :lol: I was born and raised in Nebraska and attended school in Lincoln (UNL) during the days of the 90's. You know, the days when we destroyed teams by an avg of 35 pts a game. Yeah, those hay days. Now back to my current topic. I for one am tired of hearing about Husker fans being the "Classiest Fans in College Football". Are we that now? Hmmm don't really think so. Was I ever that type of fan? Nope.

We are fans who LOVE their University but feel compelled to complain and call out BS when we smell or see it. Coaches, players, refs, league commisioners, the list goes on and on. Is this wrong? I don't think so. The term "classiest fans" was coined during the years when we would literally beat the sh#t out of other teams. We would clap for other teams in our stadium because after putting 60 pts on a team, it made us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Their players and fans felt that we were "sure nice because they clapped for us, after beating us". Now....Husker fans (me included) turn into rabbid fans who grow horns and snarl when our team loses. We don't go into other stadiums and clap and say "hey great game, you really kicked our ass, but gosh, we sure tried hard". No, we leave mad and looking for revenge (me included again). Do our fans show respect where respect is due? I think we do, but to keep labeling us the "Classiest Fans in College Football" to me is some what tiresome.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm interested in see what other Husker fans feel about this. :thumbs

ps Sorry for any gramatical or spelling erros, trying to send this out before the boss sees it. :rollin

In my opinion (from a Southern California native; aka "outsider"), the 'classiest' label has morphed from just the fans in the stadium to Nebraska's worldwide following. Here is an example... a couple of years ago I was standing in line at a Starbucks in Huntington Beach, CA, and an Oklahoma fan came in... we were both dressed in our gear and soon the OU fan and I were having a great discussion... much respect on both sides, "You guys look great this year", "So do you", "Go Big Red", "Boomer Sooner"... it was great and ended on a peaceful and respectful note. 'Classiest fans in college football'. Later during that same visit, a guy walks in wearing USC gear... mouthing off "Trojans all the way baby!" and eventually gets around to my new OU friend who is still standing in line. After a few stupid taunts he comes right out (in public) with "Oh, and f*ck you Oklahoma... we got your asses back in 05!" :facepalm:

With that perspective in mind, we ARE the classiest fans in college football.

:yeah I live in SEC town and have to hear about how good the SEC is on a daily basis. SEC fans are almost thugs Went to the Mississippi State LSU game and the fans literally throw liquor bottles onto the feild (if they have the arms) or into the crowd. Wearing my Neb. gear gets alot of "you guys wouldn't win 6 games in the SEC blah blah blah. We have some pretty good fan's. oh and bandwagon Texas fans are the WORSTE fans ever.

Here is my take on this entire "classiest fans" topic. We are the "greatest fans" in college football because we sell our stadium out, show up rain, shine, or distance, and love our Huskers with a passion that can't be explained. If you're a fan of an opposing team I'll talk to you about football and trade some friendly jabs with ya, but if you get disrespectful, don't expect me to be "classy." I will stick up for my team, our tradition, and our values. When you step on that field on Saturday against the Huskers, there is no friend sitting next to you. I won't talk crap to you and rub things in, but I want your team to be destroyed by my team. At the end of the game I want your team to wish, beg, and pray that they never have to play the Huskers again. If that is the way your team feels when it leaves the field I'm a happy man. 60 minutes of sheer and utter pain is coming your way. When the final whistles blows..........I'll extend my hand to you and offer some kind words win or lose........until we meet again.

Stay Classy Nebraska!!!

220px-Grey_Poupon_mustard.JPG