We Passed on the Alamo Bowl

Mandels Mailbag

So, let's see if I have this one correct. Nebraska is going to the same bowl game that it went to last year, to play a team that it's already beaten this year by 34 points. If I'm a Nebraska fan, I might not even watch the game on TV after halftime, much less make the trip to San Diego. What are the Holiday Bowl people thinking?-- Alex Wagner, Cottage Grove, Wis.

They didn't really have a choice. Nebraska, I'm told, begged off a possible Alamo Bowl rematch with last year's Holiday Bowl opponent, Arizona, so that bowl took Oklahoma State instead. It probably thought it had the Insight Bowl in the bag, but that game chose Missouri, partially because it passed over the Tigers last year and drew heat for it, partially to appease the Big 12 (which probably wouldn't be keen on two Big Ten schools playing in a Big 12 bowl). So that left the Holiday Bowl with either 10-2 Nebraska or a 7-5 team. And Washington was its only remaining Pac-10 choice.

But hey, it's good news for the Huskies. More often that not, non-BCS bowls come down to who wants to be there more, and in that department, it's about as lopsided in one direction as the teams' September meeting was in the other.

It would make sense that we would pass on the Alamo Bowl if we felt we were a lock for the Insight, but if we truly did pass on the Alamo without a guarantee from the Insight, that's a gaffe on our part.

If we were told by the Insight that we were in, then they changed their mind, shame on them. That's a shytti thing to do to a team.

But whatever. We only have to represent the Big XII one more game, and we're free in football. And we only have, what? Six and a half months total before we're done with the Big XII entirely? We can survive.

Really - Insight, Alamo, Holiday... what does it matter? When you're not playing for the MNC, it's still just another bowl game.

The bowl situation really isn't a big deal to me. If we got snubbed out of a BCS bowl then bowl selection would definitely be a big deal, but Nebraska didn't earn a BCS bowl bid. To me, any non-BCS bowl game might as well just be called the "At Least We're Bowl Eligible Bowl".

You really think, let's replace Nebraska with A&M for this one, Nebraska vs. LSU in the Cotton Bown is the same as the Texas Bowl vs. Illinois or the Pinstripe Bown against Syracuse?

Not all non-BCS bowls are equal. There was doubtless some communication gap between the Insight and NU. I'm sure NU thought they had Insight sewn up, or else they would have gone to the Alamo...which is too bad, because I would have taken my wife the Husker to the Alamo Bowl.

The bowl situation really isn't a big deal to me. If we got snubbed out of a BCS bowl then bowl selection would definitely be a big deal, but Nebraska didn't earn a BCS bowl bid. To me, any non-BCS bowl game might as well just be called the "At Least We're Bowl Eligible Bowl".

You really think, let's replace Nebraska with A&M for this one, Nebraska vs. LSU in the Cotton Bown is the same as the Texas Bowl vs. Illinois or the Pinstripe Bown against Syracuse?

To me, it's not that big of a difference. It sounds a lot different due to the quality of the opponent, but the end result's mostly the same.

Maybe it's partly just sour grapes over my expectations ultimately not being met this year, but I just can't get excited about bowl season this year. The difference between playing LSU in the Cotton Bowl and playing Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl, for me, would be "at least it'll be a good game" versus "at least we'll be able to give our second string players some playing time in the second half".

To me, it's not that big of a difference. It sounds a lot different due to the quality of the opponent, but the end result's mostly the same.

Maybe it's partly just sour grapes over my expectations ultimately not being met this year, but I just can't get excited about bowl season this year. The difference between playing LSU in the Cotton Bowl and playing Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl, for me, would be "at least it'll be a good game" versus "at least we'll be able to give our second string players some playing time in the second half".

Agreed. Basically, the only difference between every other bowl aside from the BCS Championship game is the number of practices you get (less if your bowl is early, more if it's later) and the money you earn. The practices are the most valuable thing for non-Championship bowl teams - although the money is a close second.

Agreed. Basically, the only difference between every other bowl aside from the BCS Championship game is the number of practices you get (less if your bowl is early, more if it's later) and the money you earn. The practices are the most valuable thing for non-Championship bowl teams - although the money is a close second.

Actually, I *think* EVERYBODY gets 2 weeks of practice. I could be wrong, but I think the practice amount is all the same.

If we made the active move of begging to get passed by the Alamo Bowl, to avoid a rematch with Arizona that we played last year, I would say that was a pretty bad decision, since we're now playing in the Holiday Bowl again, against Washington again. It's several degrees of order worse. Skeptical of this story, the AD really could not have had no idea Holiday Bowl was possible, could they?

both teams are bad, zona and uw. i am surprised insight passed us up because even though we have more losses, we are the better team in that we won the north. i never understood why a team that is not good enough to make it to the ccg is better. it seems like the ccg loser is being punished for winning their division.

my question is, why is the cotton bowl not even an option?

texas a&m and lsu is a HUGE get for the cotton bowl. these teams use to play all the time (26-20-3 LSU) and have a great history. in fact, those that are supportive of a texas a&m to SEC routinely cite that it would give LSU an instant, true rivalry game.

i was also under the impression that the alamo bowl had all but extended the offer to okie state prior to the big 12 title game? hard to say we really 'turned them down.'

both teams are bad, zona and uw. i am surprised insight passed us up because even though we have more losses, we are the better team in that we won the north. i never understood why a team that is not good enough to make it to the ccg is better. it seems like the ccg loser is being punished for winning their division.

my question is, why is the cotton bowl not even an option?

This, many times over.