Big "10" Trophy names

walksalone

The Big Ten’s new football trophy names:

Championship Game Trophies

Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy: Honors University of Chicago coach (1892-1932) Amos Alonzo Stagg and current Penn State coach Joe Paterno (1966-), the winningest major-college coach ever.

Grange-Griffin MVP: Honors legendary Illinois RB Harold “Red” Grange (1923-25) and Ohio State RB Archie Griffin (1972-75), the only two-time Heisman Trophy winner).

Postgraduate Awards

Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award: Honors former President Gerald R. Ford, a Michigan graduate and player (1932-34), and Iowa’s Nile Kinnick, the 1939 Heisman winner who was killed in a fighter-plane crash in World War II.

Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award: Honors Minnesota QB (1973-76), NFL coach and television commentator Tony Dungy and Indiana RB Anthony Thompson (1986-89), an administrator who also serves as a pastor at a Bloomington, Ind., church.

Annual Awards

Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year: Honors Northwestern (1941-43) and NFL QB Otto Graham and Ohio State (1992-95) and NFL RB Eddie George, who won the Heisman in 1995

Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year: Honors Bronko Nagurski, a three-time All-America and all-around athlete at Minnesota (1927-29) and Michigan (1995-97) and NFL CB Charles Woodson, the first primarily defensive player to win the Heisman Trophy in 1997).

Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year: Honors Woody Hayes, the Big Ten leader in conference wins (205) in 28 seasons as head coach (1951-78) at Ohio State, and his protege and former assistant, Bo Schembechler, who was 194-48-5 at Michigan from 1969-89.

Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year: Honors Minnesota (1986-89) and NFL RB Darrell Thompson who led the conference in rushing his first year and Indiana QB and NFL WR Antwaan Randle El, the first player in NCAA Division I to pass for 40 touchdowns and also rush for 40 in a career (1998-2001).

Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Nebraska (1979-82) and NFL OC Dave Rimington, who won the 1982 Outland and Lombardi awards, and Ohio State (1994-96) and NFL OT Orlando Pace, who was the Outland and Big Ten offensive player of the year awards in 1996.

Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Michigan State (1964-66) and NFL DE “Bubba” Smith, a two-time All-Big Ten first-team selection, and Penn State (1996-99) and NFL DE Courtney Brown, the Big Ten’s defensive player of the year in 1999.

Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year: Honors Purdue (1964-66) and NFL QB Bob Griese, a standout for the Boilermakers who won two Super Bowls with the Miami Dolphins, and Purdue (1997-200) and NFL QB Drew Brees, who led Purdue to its first Rose Bowl since 1967 and also guided the New Orleans Saints to the most recent Super Bowl title.

Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year: Honors Wisconsin (1951-54) and NFL FB Alan Ameche who won the Heisman Trophy in 1954 and Wisconsin (1996-99) and NFL RB Ron Dayne, who won the Heisman in 1999.

Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year: Honors Ohio State (1968-70) and NFL DB Jack Tatum, a consensus All-America in 1969 and ’70 who was among the top five vote-getters in the 1970 Heisman race, and Purdue (1983-86) and NFL DB Rod Woodson, a three-time All-Big Ten selection who twice won Super Bowls and was named to 11 Pro Bowls during his pro career.

Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the year: Honors Illinois (1962-64) and NFL LB Dick Butkus, a two-time consensus All-America who went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Chicago Bears, and Northwestern (1993-96) LB Pat Fitzgerald, the first player to win two Bednarik and Nagurski awards (1995-96) and is now the head coach at his alma mater.

Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year: Honors Wisconsin (1960-62) and NFL all-around athlete Pat Richter, an All-America selection in 1962 who after playing eight years in the NFL also served his alma mater as athletic director, and Michigan (1989-91) and NFL WR Desmond Howard, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1991 and was the MVP of a Super Bowl.

Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year: Honors Penn State (1966-68) and NFL TE Ted Kwalick, a two-time All-America who also was a solid performer for the San Francisco 49ers, and Iowa (1999-2002) and NFL TE Dallas Clark, a former LB who made the move to TE before the 2001 season and ended up winning the Mackey Award as the nation’s best at the position in 2002.

Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year: Honors Wisconsin (1959-61) and NFL K Jim Bakken, a solid contributor for his hometown Badgers who played 17 seasons as a pro, and Michigan State (1978-81) and NFL K Morten Andersen, an All-Big Ten player who kicked what is still the Big Ten’s longest field goal (63 yards) and played in the NFL from 1982-2007.

Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year: honors Thomas “Dike” Eddleman who was a three-sport star at Illinois (1946-48), starring in football and also being named the Big Ten’s MVP in basketball, and Michigan State (2003-2006) and current NFL P Brandon Fields, a first-team All-Big Ten selection in 2003, 2004 and 2006 now playing for Miami Dolphins.

Ok, after reading these, I had to shake my head.

There's ones in there that I understand. Archie Griffin, JoePa, Red Grange, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Bronco Nagurski, etc. They were great players and coaches.

But, some of the others. Ron Dayne, Desmond Howard, Randle-El???? Did they pass out retard sandwiches before coming up with these???

What about Johnny Rodgers, Tom Osbourne???? I'm sorry i'm skewing local there, but for christ sake.

The Big Ten's new football trophy names:

Championship Game Trophies

Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy: Honors University of Chicago coach (1892-1932) Amos Alonzo Stagg and current Penn State coach Joe Paterno (1966-), the winningest major-college coach ever.

Grange-Griffin MVP: Honors legendary Illinois RB Harold "Red" Grange (1923-25) and Ohio State RB Archie Griffin (1972-75), the only two-time Heisman Trophy winner).

Postgraduate Awards

Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award: Honors former President Gerald R. Ford, a Michigan graduate and player (1932-34), and Iowa's Nile Kinnick, the 1939 Heisman winner who was killed in a fighter-plane crash in World War II.

Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award: Honors Minnesota QB (1973-76), NFL coach and television commentator Tony Dungy and Indiana RB Anthony Thompson (1986-89), an administrator who also serves as a pastor at a Bloomington, Ind., church.

Annual Awards

Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year: Honors Northwestern (1941-43) and NFL QB Otto Graham and Ohio State (1992-95) and NFL RB Eddie George, who won the Heisman in 1995

Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year: Honors Bronko Nagurski, a three-time All-America and all-around athlete at Minnesota (1927-29) and Michigan (1995-97) and NFL CB Charles Woodson, the first primarily defensive player to win the Heisman Trophy in 1997).

Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year: Honors Woody Hayes, the Big Ten leader in conference wins (205) in 28 seasons as head coach (1951-78) at Ohio State, and his protege and former assistant, Bo Schembechler, who was 194-48-5 at Michigan from 1969-89.

Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year: Honors Minnesota (1986-89) and NFL RB Darrell Thompson who led the conference in rushing his first year and Indiana QB and NFL WR Antwaan Randle El, the first player in NCAA Division I to pass for 40 touchdowns and also rush for 40 in a career (1998-2001).

Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Nebraska (1979-82) and NFL OC Dave Rimington, who won the 1982 Outland and Lombardi awards, and Ohio State (1994-96) and NFL OT Orlando Pace, who was the Outland and Big Ten offensive player of the year awards in 1996.

Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year: Honors Michigan State (1964-66) and NFL DE "Bubba" Smith, a two-time All-Big Ten first-team selection, and Penn State (1996-99) and NFL DE Courtney Brown, the Big Ten's defensive player of the year in 1999.

Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year: Honors Purdue (1964-66) and NFL QB Bob Griese, a standout for the Boilermakers who won two Super Bowls with the Miami Dolphins, and Purdue (1997-200) and NFL QB Drew Brees, who led Purdue to its first Rose Bowl since 1967 and also guided the New Orleans Saints to the most recent Super Bowl title.

Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year: Honors Wisconsin (1951-54) and NFL FB Alan Ameche who won the Heisman Trophy in 1954 and Wisconsin (1996-99) and NFL RB Ron Dayne, who won the Heisman in 1999.

Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year: Honors Ohio State (1968-70) and NFL DB Jack Tatum, a consensus All-America in 1969 and '70 who was among the top five vote-getters in the 1970 Heisman race, and Purdue (1983-86) and NFL DB Rod Woodson, a three-time All-Big Ten selection who twice won Super Bowls and was named to 11 Pro Bowls during his pro career.

Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the year: Honors Illinois (1962-64) and NFL LB Dick Butkus, a two-time consensus All-America who went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Chicago Bears, and Northwestern (1993-96) LB Pat Fitzgerald, the first player to win two Bednarik and Nagurski awards (1995-96) and is now the head coach at his alma mater.

Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year: Honors Wisconsin (1960-62) and NFL all-around athlete Pat Richter, an All-America selection in 1962 who after playing eight years in the NFL also served his alma mater as athletic director, and Michigan (1989-91) and NFL WR Desmond Howard, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1991 and was the MVP of a Super Bowl.

Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year: Honors Penn State (1966-68) and NFL TE Ted Kwalick, a two-time All-America who also was a solid performer for the San Francisco 49ers, and Iowa (1999-2002) and NFL TE Dallas Clark, a former LB who made the move to TE before the 2001 season and ended up winning the Mackey Award as the nation's best at the position in 2002.

Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year: Honors Wisconsin (1959-61) and NFL K Jim Bakken, a solid contributor for his hometown Badgers who played 17 seasons as a pro, and Michigan State (1978-81) and NFL K Morten Andersen, an All-Big Ten player who kicked what is still the Big Ten's longest field goal (63 yards) and played in the NFL from 1982-2007.

Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year: honors Thomas "Dike" Eddleman who was a three-sport star at Illinois (1946-48), starring in football and also being named the Big Ten's MVP in basketball, and Michigan State (2003-2006) and current NFL P Brandon Fields, a first-team All-Big Ten selection in 2003, 2004 and 2006 now playing for Miami Dolphins.

Ok, after reading these, I had to shake my head.

There's ones in there that I understand. Archie Griffin, JoePa, Red Grange, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Bronco Nagurski, etc. They were great players and coaches.

But, some of the others. Ron Dayne, Desmond Howard, Randle-El???? Did they pass out retard sandwiches before coming up with these???

What about Johnny Rodgers, Tom Osbourne???? I'm sorry i'm skewing local there, but for christ sake.

Truthfully, they went overboard on naming the trophies at all. This is where they could've kept it simple by not naming them at all.

Furthermore, while it's cool that Dave Rimington gets his name on a trophy, it doesn't really make sense because he never played in the Big Ten to begin with. In fact, I'm of the opinion that none of our past Nebraska players should have their names on a Big Ten trophy for the obvious reasons. We have to earn our place in the Big Ten before we start worrying about slapping our names all over their trophies and that all starts in 2011.

• Fire 3

Silly me but maybe we should win something in the conference before think we deserve something.

No problems here with any of it. It is their conference we are just new to the dance. If the Athletic directors and conference presidents like it, it is fine with me.

50 years from now they may make changes or they could do it earlier who knows. I just do not see a problem with them rewarding long time legends in their conference. I to question the Remmington trophy. It seems you need to be in the race to get a trophy.

BTW, Ron Dayne makes a whole lot of sense. Not only is he a Heisman winner, but he still holds the NCAA D-1 record for career rushing yards.

Archie Griffin makes much more sense imo than Ron Dayne and Mike Rozier definitely deserved the nod over Alan Ameche. 2 consecutive Heisman trophies for Griffin (the only 2 time winner ever) and Rozier gained over 2,400 total yards the year he won the heisman. These two make much more sense to me but oh well.

Would you rather have it named the "Sears Big 10 Freshmen of the Year" or the "Tampax Big 10 Coach of the Year" or how about "Kraft fight hunger and stop the spread of whooping cough Quarterback of the Year"?

(I think I gave Dan Beebe some ideas there.)

The names are just fine as they are. And perhaps the reason there are no mention of anything Huskers is because we have been a member of the conference for....hmmm. let's see.....ZERO days!

EDIT: Correction, we got a few Husker mentions. Needless to say, we can't be bitching about every little snub we get. The grass is definitely greener.

• Fire 1

BTW, Ron Dayne makes a whole lot of sense. Not only is he a Heisman winner, but he still holds the NCAA D-1 record for career rushing yards.

Archie Griffin makes much more sense imo than Ron Dayne and Mike Rozier definitely deserved the nod over Alan Ameche. 2 consecutive Heisman trophies for Griffin (the only 2 time winner ever) and Rozier gained over 2,400 total yards the year he won the heisman. These two make much more sense to me but oh well.

But Mike Rozier was a Big 8 player as was Rimington. Like I've already pointed out, having past Nebraska players represented on Big Ten trophies as of this moment makes no sense at all.

Starting in 2011 we'll have our chance to carve out our legacy in the Big Ten for many years to come.

I've never heard of this Osbourne fellow. A pet peeve of mine....

Also, the D 3 trophy is already named after Amos Alonzo Stagg. I don't think I've heard one person say they like anything about these names at all. I think the B10 tried WAY too hard to incorporate it's past into these names. They out thought themselves significantly.

You gotta love the Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year Trophy. Griese-Brees? Sounds like a wet fart to me...

Also, I'm getting sick of Husker fans b*tching about every little thing when something doesn't go our way or someone says something negative about our team. Get over yourselves. Believe it or not, Nebraska is not the center of the universe, nor is it God's chosen land. Who cares if we got one trophy named after a Husker? Have we ever played a down in the Big Ten? Seems to me a majority of Husker fans would b*tch if someone handed them a wrinkly $100 bill instead of a crisp $5...

• Fire 4

But Mike Rozier was a Big 8 player as was Rimington. Like I've already pointed out, having past Nebraska players represented on Big Ten trophies as of this moment makes no sense at all.

Starting in 2011 we'll have our chance to carve out our legacy in the Big Ten for many years to come.

While I see your point they still named one of the trophies after someone who never played a down in the Big 10. Dave Rimington. Obviously they didn't want to totally exclude Nebraska or ignore that Rimington is far and away the best center in league history given that NU is in fact a part of the Big 10 now. Having said that picking Alan Ameche over Mike Rozier for one makes no sense but then picking Alan Ameche over Archie Griffin, a true Big 10 and college football legend makes even less sense.

The most important thing is that were in the Big 10 so that's what I'm most happy about and while the trophy names don't really matter much in the end it would have been nice to maybe have our legacy/history recocgnized just a tad bit more as well as far as the awards/trophies go. I just found the division names and trophy names a bit odd and it's fun to discuss this. Just my .02.

While I see your point they still named one of the trophies after someone who never played a down in the Big 10. Dave Rimington. Obviously they didn't want to totally exclude Nebraska or ignore that Rimington is far and away the best center in league history given that NU is in fact a part of the Big 10 now. Picking Alan Ameche over Mike Rozier for one makes no sense but then picking Alan Ameche over Archie Griffin, a true Big 10 and college football legend makes even less sense.

The most important thing is that were in the Big 10 so that's what I'm most happy about and while the trophy names don't really matter much in the end it would have been nice to maybe have our legacy/history recocgnized just a tad bit more as well as far as the awards/trophies go. I just found the division names and trophie names a bit odd and it's fun to discuss this. Just my .02.

Not trying to discount Rimington's significance to college football because he's definitely one of the greatest at his position, but I feel like his representation on a Big Ten trophy was more of a courtesy thing. I'm okay with it though, even if it doesn't make sense. I'd rather earn our way into the conference instead of having a sense of automatic entitlement. It'll feel more natural once we've put in a good 10 years worth of time with our future players racking up Big Ten accolades. Until then, earn it.

While I see your point they still named one of the trophies after someone who never played a down in the Big 10. Dave Rimington. Obviously they didn't want to totally exclude Nebraska or ignore that Rimington is far and away the best center in league history given that NU is in fact a part of the Big 10 now. Picking Alan Ameche over Mike Rozier for one makes no sense but then picking Alan Ameche over Archie Griffin, a true Big 10 and college football legend makes even less sense.

The most important thing is that were in the Big 10 so that's what I'm most happy about and while the trophy names don't really matter much in the end it would have been nice to maybe have our legacy/history recocgnized just a tad bit more as well as far as the awards/trophies go. I just found the division names and trophie names a bit odd and it's fun to discuss this. Just my .02.

Not trying to discount Rimington's significance to college football because he's definitely one of the greatest at his position, but I feel like his representation on a Big Ten trophy was more of a courtesy thing. I'm okay with it though, even if it doesn't make sense. I'd rather earn our way into the conference instead of having a sense of automatic entitlement. It'll feel more natural once we've put in a good 10 years worth of time with our future players racking up Big Ten accolades. Until then, earn it.

I think if your going to welcome a team into your conference you should somehow recognize that teams past accomplishments as well, regardless of being new to the conference. Just my .02.

I think if your going to welcome a team into your conference you should somehow recognize that teams past accomplishments as well, regardless of being new to the conference. Just my .02.

I understand your p.o.v.

But how else do you think we got accepted into the Big Ten? Tradition and past accomplishments. Adding Rimington to their trophy list was a courtesy and that should be enough for now. We'll have our chance to make an impact from 2011 onwards.