Tell me what you really think about Christmas...

My wife and I and I have been discussing this lately as I have become more bitter and bitter about Christmas. I just hate having to worry about giving someone something, and hoping that they don't get me something nicer, because then it's awkward. I mean, I don't mind getting something for children, and maybe I'm like this because I don't have children of my own yet, but it's just a hassle. My wife says next year I should just express these feelings and request to not be involved in what we call the "commercialization" of Christmas...aka not give or receive any gifts. I just don't think that you should feel like you have to get people something, but rather want to. Instead, (I've even expressed this to my dad's side of the family, receiving agreement from my dad) I just wish we could all get together as a family and eat, spend time together, and do the usual family tradition of playing cards, while the youngin's (under 18) get to open their gifts from everyone.

My frustration has nothing to do with going to church, celebration Jesus' birth, but rather about the whole fascination of who can outdo others with gifts...

Hmm.

You know, I've been thinking about this lately. I mean, I don't make very much money as it is, and my campus job isn't open during the holidays so I don't even get a paycheck around Christmas. Not to mention that I won't be done studying for finals until tomorrow, leaving me..what..9 "shopping days" before Christmas?

When I think about stuff like that I completely agree with you. Presents are dumb; I don't need 'em. Usually I'm spending half of my time racking my brain trying to think of something..ANYTHING I could buy for my dad that wouldn't be a complete waste of space in his garage/closet/car. The man has everything. But if I don't find one more thing he might possibly use, well damn. I must be a crappy daughter, right?

There are parts of Christmas that I do love, however. And those are mostly hallmark-card-y, Charles Dickens-y things like ringing bells for the Salvation Army, singing in the Christmas choir and finally getting to see the fam. Funny how none of these things cost money.

It's a hard pill to swallow that love can't be expressed through a cordless drill..well, I mean, it CAN..but it can also be expressed just as easily through, I dunno..words. Actions. Free stuff.

I'm totally with ya on taking the giant economical strain and general stress out of Christmas, now we just gotta figure out how to do it... :):)

killer.....here's the deal! With the talent you have, and if I were in your family, I would love to receive something from you that you made! I keep telling my son the same thing! That would mean more to me than something he bought. The talent that you guys have is a gift and much more meaningful (to me anyway) and very much appreciated! Christmas is about giving and if it comes from the heart.....that's what matters! Merry Christmas!

Pretty much my entire family is in agreement that Christmas has become commercialized. We are ALL tired of it, but we are still giving eachother gifts because it's just something we've always done so it's almost like it's programmed into us at this point. My wife and I are backing down from what we buy one another since we just bought a new house and now have the twins to take care of. I think most of us would rather get maybe one small gift for eachother that means something and just spend time together, but it'll never be that way unfortunately. My mother goes insane during Christmas and buys everything! It annoys me................ALOT!

it does get harder the older you get and the older your family gets. I am in agreement with Cacti, that just getting family together and having a great time is just as good as a gift. I am married with a 2 year old, she does not have the concept of Santa yet, but of course we bought her a bunch of stuff that will just add to the pile in her toy room anyway. My wife has been utterly stressed when i tell her i don't need anything, but at the same time have pampered her a little myself. Christmas does add just a little of unwanted stress with the trying to figure out what to buy someone but I know with my family that might be a hard habit to break.

overall, my family is pretty fortunate- but we've made christmas fun again by everyone being involved in the making of food and drinks over the past few years. my single, childless aunt always comes up with a new cocktail or four every year. i introduced jaeger bombs at one infamous christmas. my uncle covers the lil smokies and related football watching foods. everyone has a favorite treat that someone else makes that they take great effort to make sure and bring every year. for me, its these crazy chicken teriyaki skewers. ill eat like 3 lbs of them. its disgusting. but every year, there is my aunt with them, giving me the first one. grandma still handles the heavy work, but everyone pitches in and we're always trying something new.

dont get me wrong, the young ones still get ridiculously spoiled, but most of that just gets sent with their parents for them to open christmas morning. the adults all buy a ~$50 dollar gift and we do the white elephant thing. last year someone brought the board game "things" and we all sat around and played that. the year before even grandpa got into the rock band action.

I don't buy presents at all. Hell, i hated christmas since my junior year of high school (20 yrs ago). I would rather just spend the time with family and enjoy the company.

A friend and his wife have the perfect arrangment. They get whatever they want thrugh out the year and not worry about the cost of the 25th. They give one small inexpensive gift for that day.