U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle

xm25640.jpg

After years of development, the U.S. Army has unleashed a new weapon in Afghanistan -- the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, a high-tech rifle that can be programmed so that its 25-mm. ammunition detonates either in front of or behind a target, meaning it can be fired just above a wall before it explodes and kills the enemy.

It also has a range of roughly 2,300 feet -- nearly the length of eight football fields -- making it possible to fire at targets well past the range of the rifles and carbines that most soldiers carry today. LINK

• Fire 1

• 4 weeks later...

They've been working on this thing forever.

Originally, it was supposed to be the OICW, objective individual combat weapon. It was supposed to be a rifle (which fired 5.56mm rounds and a grenade launcher, which launched 30mm grenades. Somewhere along the way, it looks like they scrapped that. The grenade launcher was supposed to have the same capabilities.

Me personally, I wouldn't want it, i'd take this....

M4.jpg

Awsome weapon but I still love the following best...

post-4393-031928000 1295141078.jpg

This is the weapon that put down three Iraqis through a cinderblock wall at just under a mile and a half and recorded a kill at over 1.5 miles in Afganistan, longest recorded kill shot ever.

I just watched a show with that sniper talking about that kill shot last night. Cool stuff. The guy is just a regular fella, and he was very businesslike about the whole thing.

The weird thing he said was, the Taliban are brave as hell. He fired his first shot and it hit a few feet below the three Taliban, causing a spray of dirt and rock. They knew they were being shot at, but they just stood there looking around. Of course they couldn't see this guy and his spotter 1.5 miles away, so the sniper lined up his next shot - and missed again. I can't remember how many shots he took, but it was at least three, one of which went through the backpack of the guy he was targeting.

Finally he got his sights lined up and fired the fatal shot. He said he saw the Taliban go down but didn't stick around to see what he'd done to the guy. A .50 caliber bullet through the body is 100% fatal, though. The projectile is the size of your thumb. That's a hell of a thing to have traveling through your body at just under the speed of sound.

The weird thing he said was, the Taliban are brave as hell. He fired his first shot and it hit a few feet below the three Taliban, causing a spray of dirt and rock. They knew they were being shot at, but they just stood there looking around. Of course they couldn't see this guy and his spotter 1.5 miles away, so the sniper lined up his next shot - and missed again. I can't remember how many shots he took, but it was at least three, one of which went through the backpack of the guy he was targeting.

Finally he got his sights lined up and fired the fatal shot. He said he saw the Taliban go down but didn't stick around to see what he'd done to the guy. A .50 caliber bullet through the body is 100% fatal, though. The projectile is the size of your thumb. That's a hell of a thing to have traveling through your body at just under the speed of sound.

Meh, I wouldn't say that they are brave. To stand there while someone is shooting at you is more like stupid.

Brave men don't bomb churches, mosques, and embassies. Nor do they prey on women and children.