The Holiday Bowl, Part Deux

walksalone

An interesting take, from the financial aspect....

Further down the chain, Nebraska is almost certainly going to lose money on its return trip to the Holiday Bowl, because it's footing the bill for the band this time. (The 'Huskers broke even on their trip to San Diego last year, in part by making the band pay its own way to the game.) Those scrubby bowl games that have popped up over the last decade to fill afternoon airtime on ESPN over the holidays – many of which are subsidized or owned outright by ESPN – regularly take back a significant chunk of the payout in the form of ticket guarantees

Dr Saturday

That is some shoddy reporting right there. Nebraska didn't have the band pay their own way last year, the band didn't get to go last year and it had noting to do with finances. They were set to fly out a couple days before the game but we had a blizzard and they got snowed in. The band at the Holiday Bowl was a local highschool band (I believe Millard South?) who were already in San Diego for an unrelated competition. The University paid for them to stay a few extra days and perform at the bowl game and in the parade representing Nebraska.

• Fire 2

That is some shoddy reporting right there. Nebraska didn't have the band pay their own way last year, the band didn't get to go last year and it had noting to do with finances. They were set to fly out a couple days before the game but we had a blizzard and they got snowed in. The band at the Holiday Bowl was a local highschool band (I believe Millard South?) who were already in San Diego for an unrelated competition. The University paid for them to stay a few extra days and perform at the bowl game and in the parade representing Nebraska.

You beat me to the punch on this one. The band was going but weather prevented it. I remember something about the band was going to take buses. Overall the report was interesting. UConn goes to Fiesta but loses money on the deal.

I watched on espn last night where due to lack of ticket sales, uconn will about break even. OK has a serious lack of sales as well. I can emagine with so much lack of interest in the husker nation (lack of sales), you all wont do to well either. Nice part is you all wont be giving the b12 a ton of money from your last bowl in that conference. Economy is tough, thats why I still have to shake my head at some of the selections. Even if money were not that big of deal, how many of you would be all that wound up about your bowl? Iowa has a tough game given thier record, and all thats been going on in IA city, couple that with the fact we have'nt played them in almost a hundred years. Even with all that ticket sales are not strong. But had it been NU and IA I bet they would have sold thier allotments already on both teams.

I watched on espn last night where due to lack of ticket sales, uconn will about break even. OK has a serious lack of sales as well. I can emagine with so much lack of interest in the husker nation (lack of sales), you all wont do to well either. Nice part is you all wont be giving the b12 a ton of money from your last bowl in that conference. Economy is tough, thats why I still have to shake my head at some of the selections. Even if money were not that big of deal, how many of you would be all that wound up about your bowl? Iowa has a tough game given thier record, and all thats been going on in IA city, couple that with the fact we have'nt played them in almost a hundred years. Even with all that ticket sales are not strong. But had it been NU and IA I bet they would have sold thier allotments already on both teams.

Nebraska vs. Iowa would have been a nice preveiw to next years introduction of the skers in the big 10 and for the end of year game that will be played against the hawkeyes.

..speaking of shoddy reporting...

The band was going to go, but they were not going to fly out. They were going on a 28 hour bus ride. They got snowed in because of a blizzard.

The high school band that was there was Lincoln Southeast, who paid their own way to the Holiday Bowl and were going to the game anyways. They didn't spend any extra time in San Diego than they would have, and the University didn't help them pay for anything. In fact, the University just went to them and asked them if they would play at some pep rallies and at the game in place of the Cornhusker Marching Band. Lincoln Southeast did so even at the expense of not doing some of the activities that they had planned.

Of COURSE the Cornhusker Marching Band not going last year had to do with finances. The athletic department didn't want to pay to fly them out. The direct result of that decision was that the band got snowed in. Was it bad luck? Yes. But it was still a result of trying to save money.

I don't blame the athletic department for trying to save money. The bowl system sucks, and these minor bowls don't pay enough money. This year the University is going to lose money, and part of that is because they're going to fly the band out, so they make sure they look less stupid than last year when a high school band had to step in. But if the bowl system didn't suck, they'd at least provide enough money to get the team, cheerleaders, and band out to the game.

• Fire 1

..speaking of shoddy reporting...

The band was going to go, but they were not going to fly out. They were going on a 28 hour bus ride. They got snowed in because of a blizzard.

The high school band that was there was Lincoln Southeast, who paid their own way to the Holiday Bowl and were going to the game anyways. They didn't spend any extra time in San Diego than they would have, and the University didn't help them pay for anything. In fact, the University just went to them and asked them if they would play at some pep rallies and at the game in place of the Cornhusker Marching Band. Lincoln Southeast did so even at the expense of not doing some of the activities that they had planned.

Of COURSE the Cornhusker Marching Band not going last year had to do with finances. The athletic department didn't want to pay to fly them out. The direct result of that decision was that the band got snowed in. Was it bad luck? Yes. But it was still a result of trying to save money.

I don't blame the athletic department for trying to save money. The bowl system sucks, and these minor bowls don't pay enough money. This year the University is going to lose money, and part of that is because they're going to fly the band out, so they make sure they look less stupid than last year when a high school band had to step in. But if the bowl system didn't suck, they'd at least provide enough money to get the team, cheerleaders, and band out to the game.

To add one more point... I recall it being not just that they were snowed in but that they were snowed in at their family's houses, all across Nebraska, Iowa, etc. They MIGHT have been able to get them out via bus but hardly anybody could make it back to the campus because of the blizzard.

To add one more point... I recall it being not just that they were snowed in but that they were snowed in at their family's houses, all across Nebraska, Iowa, etc. They MIGHT have been able to get them out via bus but hardly anybody could make it back to the campus because of the blizzard.

This is partially true. Part of the reasoning for canceling the trip was that there were kids all over Nebraska and the midwest that had to try to get back to Lincoln, and they thought it wasn't safe for them to do that. But most of the kids knew there was a storm coming and either got back to Lincoln early, or never went home at all, so they'd be ready for the trip.

Just to add to the blunder, the trip was canceled so late that most of the kids who did have to travel back to Lincoln in the snowstorm either had already done so, or were already traveling through the storm and didn't learn the trip was canceled until they arrived in Lincoln.

Only in the short term. A BCS bowl is a big deal for UConn. They may have to eat a little of the cost here but it'll pay back dividends with satisfied boosters/donors and future recruits.

Only in the short term. A BCS bowl is a big deal for UConn. They may have to eat a little of the cost here but it'll pay back dividends with satisfied boosters/donors and future recruits.

They're hoping it'll pay off. I'd like to see them do something, with being in D1 for such a short time, losing the player last year. You hope this pans out for them.