Ekeler's replacement

HuskerNMO

Jimmy Williams worked as LB coach when Pelini was DC for Solich in 2003. So they are at least somewhat familiar with eachother.

Jimmy had a falling out with Turner Gill when he was on the Buffalo staff. "philosophical differences".

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-21693061.html

I couldn't find anything on what he may be doing now. No idea if he's even interested in coaching any more if he were to even be considered for the position.

That said, I would love to see Doug Colman back at Nebraska.

Yep Jimmy Williams is the one I'm thinking of. I really think he would be in a good position to at least get a look.

1279720575864.gif

Jimmy Williams did a good job in 2003. Why wouldn't we want him back, Willie?

Every time a guy like Jimmy comes up, ask yourself this - if he was from ANYWHERE else but Nebraska, would you even consider him?

Even more, if he was worthy of moving up in the coaching ranks, why is he sitting out there without a job and why was the only place he took a job at was under another Nebraska grad?

I just absolutely hate the sense of entitlement we give to people just because they played here or are from this state. Hire the best guy for the job, not just the best guy from the state of Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Yep Jimmy Williams is the one I'm thinking of. I really think he would be in a good position to at least get a look.

1279720575864.gif

Every time a guy like Jimmy comes up, ask yourself this - if he was from ANYWHERE else but Nebraska, would you even consider him?

Even more, if he was worthy of moving up in the coaching ranks, why is he sitting out there without a job and why was the only place he took a job at was under another Nebraska grad?

I just absolutely hate the sense of entitlement we give to people just because they played here or are from this state. Hire the best guy for the job, not just the best guy from the state of Nebraska.

Ok. I only know of his 2003 job as the LB coach. We had some good LB play that year.

1279720575864.gif

Ok. I only know of his 2003 job as the LB coach. We had some good LB play that year.

Thanks to Bo for the most part, 2003 was Pelini's and Sander's defense.

And .. ?

Cosgrove had a great D back in '06, does not mean anything.

If you are a quality coach, you don't drop down to Buffalo, and then end on the unemployment line just looking for a job.

Good points - and I'm not in favor of Williams or any other candidate BTW. Just asking.

Do you have any preferences or good candidates in mind, Willie?

I agree Willie 100%. For me it those that clamor for Scott Frost to make the jump to OC. Yes Scott is doing well this year, but I want someone with more substance to their resume than he won a title here, and his Oregon team is awesome. Scott is not the mastermind behind that attack. A couple more years of success and more offensive responcibility and I am sure he could become a capable OC. But not now.

I will say that Doug Coleman would be a fit. Yeah, I know it almost goes against my Frost reasoning, but Coleman while here, before he took a position at Tulane, had more of a hand with the LBs than a lot of people think. And prior to that he was a VERY successful high school coach in NJ, and even coached in NFL Europe as part of the NFL Europa coaching program. So the petigree other than a blackshirt hanging on his wall at home is definitely there. Whereas with Frost it isn't.

And as far as Williams, nice coach but with Coleman and others out there, no thanks.