L. David

walksalone

2. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska.

Three years ago, David was an overlooked member of the stacked Northwestern (Fla.) class that won the mythical high school national championship in 2007 and subsequently migrated en masse to nearby Miami in 2008, where headliners Marcus Fortson, Jacory Harris and Sean Spence helped make the Hurricanes' '08 recruiting haul one of the most hyped crops in the nation.

David wasn't among the group bound for The U (he originally signed with Middle Tennessee State before taking a detour to Fort Scott Community College in Kansas), but he's well on his way to winning the reunion: In his first year out of the JUCO ranks, he led the Big 12 and finished fourth nationally in total tackles, racked up 11.5 tackles for loss, broke up eight passes, was tabbed by Big 12 coaches as a first-team all-conference pick and landed on a couple of All-America teams as the best player on a defense that finished in the top 10 nationally in yards and points allowed

See the rest of the story here...

Best Breakout Players of 2010

It's really interesting to think that most of us (myself included) were more excited about Yoshi coming from the JUCO ranks than Lavonte. He really has proven to be an elite player, even with such little time to pick up the system that usually takes guys at least a couple of offseasons/springs to pick up.

I think the most impressive part of what Lavonte did was to be in the right position to make plays even when he wasn't fully comfortable with the defense. That shows great football instincts and isn't something you can teach. He's only going to get better.

While I'm not trying to knock what Lavonte did, he certainly had a surprisingly incredible season, throughout the first few games Bo often said Lavonte was out of position and just happened to be in the right place at the right time to make the play. Just splitting hairs here, he clearly has a nose for the football.

Congrats to him, he has certainly earned every accolade he has gotten.

I agree with the comments on Lattimore. He was the #2 RB when he came out of HS. I don't see how him playing well is a surprise or a "breakout." Contrast that with David, who was much overlooked when he came to NU. Lavonte should have gotten the nod as the #1 breakout player.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will improve over the off-season, and that is a scary, scary thought.

It's really interesting to think that most of us (myself included) were more excited about Yoshi coming from the JUCO ranks than Lavonte. He really has proven to be an elite player, even with such little time to pick up the system that usually takes guys at least a couple of offseasons/springs to pick up.

Count me in that bunch, but it was primarily because of how down our OL was last season - and how solid it appeared the LB corp was going to be this year with Fisher/Compton back. no disrespect to LD, just appeared (rightfully so) that the need was MUCH greater on the OL. still is.