As bad as offense was, run defense and tackling, WTF

C N Red

Our O was horrible, but our run D and tackling looked as bad as K St. Now our run D hasn't been real great all year. I understand our D schemes allow teams to be able to run, but when Locker is sucking it up passing again why not go to scheme to take away run and let our secondary take care of the pass.

Now our O was dogsh*t and left our D on the field most of the game, but we have to stop the run first. Our corners and d-backs are good enough to take care of the pass, so why not concentrate on stopping the run? If we don't stop the run next year it will be a long season! Most blame goes to O but some has to go to D as well.

You're not going to shut down every offense completely. Tonight, the defense gave up an approximately 20-yard drive that featured a 17 yard trick pass play, one lengthy drive to start the 3rd quarter, and a field goal. That's 17 points, 4 points less than they gave up in Seattle. Really, they gave up 10 points considering that first TD drive.

Nebraska's offense gave Washington more points (9) than they scored themselves (7). We need to stop expecting superman-like efforts from the defense. It wasn't their best game, but they were fine.

• Fire 3

I have trouble blaming the D. Polk and Locker are a helluva tandem in the backfield. You cannot expect to shut them down completely. It wasn't the best defensive performance, but I don't think Locker even had 60 passing yards.

This game was a carbon copy of the Texas game. The Washington coaches no doubt emphasized the need to avoid turnovers, run the ball with the QB and the RB, crash hard on the zone read, and wait for us to beat ourselves with (1) penalties and (2) untimely turnovers. It is the blueprint for beating us, complete with Martinez finishing the game on the bench.

7 points is never gifted when an offense drives 21 yards to score. At that point it is on the defense that it wasn't a field goal.

Our pass D was phenomenal, mostly. Our run D got pounded on, and the give up we saw today as a team was saddening. Not a lot of points or even yards, but it wasn't that type of game. Not a shootout, a grind-it-out on the ground and hold on to a lead type of game. Which they did very well. They may have gone 6/18 through the air, but it's OK when your HB runs 34 times for 176, and your QB adds 81 on 13. I think somewhat less than stout run D has been the theme of the year, which has held back a SICK secondary somewhat.

It is funny...I said to everyone I was talking to that the best way to attack our defense was to run it right at us. Washington did a heck of a job exploiting our weaknesses on defense. However, we still held them to 19 which goes to tell you that our defense is still a great one...if they can only score 19 exploiting our weakness on d? Not too shabby.