Martinez as "Slash"

Washusker

I used to chalk up Martinez's struggles to youth and injury. After last night, I'm pretty convinced that the kid just doesn't have what it takes to play QB in a BCS conference.

So why not move him to WR, but use him in a myriad of ways in the offense? He can run the sprint sweep out of the zone read (Marlowe usually does this when we run Wildcat). He can throw the ball on trick plays. He can run the Wildcat. He can be a deep threat out wide.

You could easily get him 10 touches a game, out in space, with a predetermined play, and he could flourish.

But he's not a quarterback, and can't be trusted to make a good decision under duress. I say approach him about moving to the outside, where he can better help the team.

Thoughts?

PS - I know he wants to play QB, and might just walk away from the program if he doesn't get his way - I'm ok with that, too.

I agree with your post. He just doesn't seem to have "it." He's not cut out to be a QB at this level. There's a reason he wasn't a heavily recruited QB out of HS. He doesn't seem like much of a leader and he makes terrible decisions under pressure.

We should use him like the Chiefs have been using Dexter McCluster this year. Get him the ball in space and let his athleticism take over. He just needs to learn how to hang on to the ball.

If he doesn't welcome the change, then he's not a team player and we don't need him on this team. He needs to have an attitude that he will do what's best for the team and I just don't see him behaving that way.

Theres two things to that for me:

1. If we do happen to go to Green or Turner or Carnes next year that will mean that we will have 4 first year starting qb's in 4 straight years. If one is better than play him but it's damn hard to create continuity and great timing when you're constantly having different guys throw you the ball.

2. Unless Green starts that means that we will be starting a different RS Frosh/True Frosh for the second year in a row. We would go through the same growing pains that we went through this year. Maybe not to the extent that we went through w/ Taylor's complete lack (shockingly lack) of pocket presence but still frosh growing pains.

Theres two things to that for me:

1. If we do happen to go to Green or Turner or Carnes next year that will mean that we will have 4 first year starting qb's in 4 straight years. If one is better than play him but it's damn hard to create continuity and great timing when you're constantly having different guys throw you the ball.

2. Unless Green starts that means that we will be starting a different RS Frosh/True Frosh for the second year in a row. We would go through the same growing pains that we went through this year. Maybe not to the extent that we went through w/ Taylor's complete lack (shockingly lack) of pocket presence but still frosh growing pains.

I attribute this to trying to run a system that only works with QBs like Vince Young or Pat White. We keep looking for a new QB because we're probably never going to find one good enough to run this offense. We need a good passer, simple as that.

The only thing that tripped my trigger last night was when things were looking pretty down with regards to us coming back in the third quarter Martinez suddenly is limping around on the field and comes out never to be heard or seen in the game again. We were down two scores. One big play, and we were right back in the thing. Washington made mistakes as well missing some fieldgoals letting us stay in the game. I was a little bothered by this, but then again maybe he really was hurt bad.

The only thing that tripped my trigger last night was when things were looking pretty down with regards to us coming back in the third quarter Martinez suddenly is limping around on the field and comes out never to be heard or seen in the game again. We were down two scores. One big play, and we were right back in the thing. Washington made mistakes as well missing some fieldgoals letting us stay in the game. I was a little bothered by this, but then again maybe he really was hurt bad.

Did you even see the play he got hurt on? He rolled his ankle pretty badly. I wasn't surprised he left the game. It had nothing to do with his performance or the game circumstances.