Cody Green

This offseason, will make or break Bo Pelini's career at Nebraska IMO.

Come on. The offseason will be defined by the upcoming season itself, and Bo would have to have a really awful season to justify firing him. A REALLY bad season, because everyone is aware of the difficulty of the transition into the Big 10.

There are significant issues on the offensive side of the ball, if Bo doesn't correct them now, things could very well spiral downwords. Every season has closed with a big step forward, this year closed with a big step backwords.

I follow that, but they'd have to take about 3 more steps backwards during the offseason to be bad enough for Bo to get fired next year.

Furthermore, I'm not putting too much stock into the game against Washington. We've got very serious issues to fix on offense, but that game was just stupid. We had already beat them by 35, we had just lost our main season goal by a whisker, Washington was out for vengeance, etc...

One of the biggest mistakes we made this season was thinking our team would be amazing this year just because of our Holiday Bowl performance. Going into next season, we'll have expectations for a pretty stout defense (assuming we get Crick back), but expectations for the offense will be relatively low, and expectations for our overall record will probably be middling as well due to the perception that our schedule is incredibly tough.

The general expectation level next year is going to be lower, and that's going to give Bo more leeway. As long as his defense keeps performing, they're going to stay competitive with anyone in the country, like they basically were this year.

I said nothing about firing, just that this offseason is a turning point in Bo's career. If he fixes the issues, we have the chance to take that next step. If he doesn't fix the issues, we'll continue to be a 9-10 win team that never gets over the hump.

Come on. The offseason will be defined by the upcoming season itself, and Bo would have to have a really awful season to justify firing him. A REALLY bad season, because everyone is aware of the difficulty of the transition into the Big 10.

There are significant issues on the offensive side of the ball, if Bo doesn't correct them now, things could very well spiral downwords. Every season has closed with a big step forward, this year closed with a big step backwords.

I follow that, but they'd have to take about 3 more steps backwards during the offseason to be bad enough for Bo to get fired next year.

Furthermore, I'm not putting too much stock into the game against Washington. We've got very serious issues to fix on offense, but that game was just stupid. We had already beat them by 35, we had just lost our main season goal by a whisker, Washington was out for vengeance, etc...

One of the biggest mistakes we made this season was thinking our team would be amazing this year just because of our Holiday Bowl performance. Going into next season, we'll have expectations for a pretty stout defense (assuming we get Crick back), but expectations for the offense will be relatively low, and expectations for our overall record will probably be middling as well due to the perception that our schedule is incredibly tough.

The general expectation level next year is going to be lower, and that's going to give Bo more leeway. As long as his defense keeps performing, they're going to stay competitive with anyone in the country, like they basically were this year.

I said nothing about firing, just that this offseason is a turning point in Bo's career. If he fixes the issues, we have the chance to take that next step. If he doesn't fix the issues, we'll continue to be a 9-10 win team that never gets over the hump.

Ok, well you said "make or break" his career, so I took "break" to mean that his career at Nebraska was over.

We may be a 9-10 win team for a while. It may take 10 years of that to get over the hump. It took Tom Osborne about 9 seasons to have a real national title contender, and it took him 13 more to get all the marbles. I want them to get over the hump next year, but I'll never advocate for losing a head coach after a 9-10 win season.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but methinks Cody won't even stick around if Martinez returns next year.

Doubt it.

Hope you're right.

If he leaves, then he's obviously not "the guy." That's not what "the guy," does.

I don't think he leaves though. I think he stays and competes. I hope he either pushes Martinez to another level or beats him out and takes his job. We certainly need better play at that position.

Ok, well you said "make or break" his career, so I took "break" to mean that his career at Nebraska was over.

We may be a 9-10 win team for a while. It may take 10 years of that to get over the hump. It took Tom Osborne about 9 seasons to have a real national title contender, and it took him 13 more to get all the marbles. I want them to get over the hump next year, but I'll never advocate for losing a head coach after a 9-10 win season.

I don't think the fan base will wait that long, Osborne would probably never fire Bo, but once he's gone? Who knows.

• Fire 1

I don't think the fan base will wait that long, Osborne would probably never fire Bo, but once he's gone? Who knows.

If Bo runs into a 4 or 5 win season, then yeah I think he'll be gone. But if our fan base isn't patient enough to stick with a head coach who is consistently competitive against top teams and who is churning out 9-10 win seasons, then our fan base will deserve what's coming to it, which will be another Callahan era.

Cody Green does struggle more often than i would like. Remember watching the final 10 kin of the game saw Cody throw the ball and completely overthrew an open guy. Next play, another pass, this underthrown to an open guy. First thought went through my mind, Jesus Christ are we sure this kid played QB in high school?

Cody Green does struggle more often than i would like. Remember watching the final 10 kin of the game saw Cody throw the ball and completely overthrew an open guy. Next play, another pass, this underthrown to an open guy. First thought went through my mind, Jesus Christ are we sure this kid played QB in high school?

The fact is Cody stepped up in the pocket, went through his read progression and found that open guy. While Martinez looked at the first option, the froze when that option wasn't open, turned his back downfield and took a sack.. At least Cody is getting to the point where he finds the open guy. It's a step in the right direction

I don't think Cody will start next year as that would indicate a change in offense direction that would surprise me - but I am not any more excited anout that prospect than any other prospect at QB next year. I am rooting for Brion here based on his skillset, but a RFr starting at QB is going to make RFr mistakes.

I think there is some overplaying of the hypocrisy card here. Taylor has never been my guy, though I will cheer him on if he plays for us and hope for the best. Lee has always been the guy I'm rooting for to get a chance to go in though, and I only talk about Green knowing that Lee has been hurt.

I don't understand that backup QB is always the favorite dynamic though. That is pretty common.

I think that out of all the QB's we have right now Cody is the most well rounded QB. He needs some good coaching on his technique in passing, but I don't think that there is any other QB in Lincoln right now that would have as much upside as Cody. Now that is IF we change the offense to something that would suit his abilities. I don't think it would have to be a big change either. He just isn't a zone read type QB Taylor is, and I hope the Staff has realized maybe they went somewhere they shouldn't have or at least relied on it way to much. I think the one that needs a new position is Taylor. Green is a better leader and I think he looked more comfortable in the pocket this year compared to last, especially towards the end of the season. A good position coach for him would be the answer IMO as well as the other QB's.