2. Zoogies, it's not 2008 again. In 2007, we were 5-7, we had just lost a game by two TDs despite scoring 51 points, and we were changing coaching staffs.

Well - I guess what I am saying here is it is 2008 in hindsight. Meaning it could be a 2008 type of year. Maybe 2006 would be more appropriate as a comparison?

My point is, this was our year to make that run, and we more or less crashed. The longer it gets from the Holiday Bowl, the more the magnitude of the crash sinks in to me. Bo, I believe, was gunning for a MNC this year. He really was thinking title. When you make a run and crash you have to gather the pieces, reset, and claw back up there.

I expect a lot of rough transitioning - battling for 9-win seasons - before we gather all the pieces to make another bold move for the MNC. There is nothing wrong with that, but I am trying to shield our HC from unreasonable expectations. We are assuredly headed in the right direction, but I feel strongly that we missed a shot at BCS this year and could be waiting at least a couple years for the next one. Don't fret, in the meantime, as I think Bo will be building up a solid program.

• Fire 1

1. Cody's a great guy, but I'm guessing the fact that the team got up for Colorado had more to do with the fact that the division championship was on the line, and I'm guessing the reason the team looked so good has to do with the fact that Colorado blows.

2. Zoogies, it's not 2008 again. In 2007, we were 5-7, we had just lost a game by two TDs despite scoring 51 points, and we were changing coaching staffs.

I guess everybody is going to be down since the most recent game in memory was a clunker, and because we lost 3 of our last 4... But the loss against Texas A&M should not have been a loss. We were then one field goal away from overtime in the Big 12 championship, one touchdown away from a BCS win over UConn. We then lost a game that nobody gave a damn about because of the rarest of circumstances, a rematch against a team we already beat by 35 points in the same bowl game that we were in last year, after our season goals had just slipped through our fingers.

HEY HUSKERNATION - Get your heads up! There's plenty that Nebraska needs to get better at, but this team is returning plenty of talent on defense including Dennard, David, Compton, Fisher, Meredith, Steinkuhler, hopefully Crick, Osborne, Cassidy, Ciante Evans... We're loaded on that side of the ball! On offense, we return tough as nails running back Rex Burkhead, along with the most successful freshman QB in Nebraska football history. We need playmakers to step up at WR, and we need some leaders and some ballers to step up on the o-line. But we're going to be better than some people on this board are acting like...

We also could have won the title at A&M and came out and played like crap.

We need playmakers to step up at WR? Who? What based off of the last 3 years of this offensive staff makes you think WR's will step up? This is the 2nd worst position on our team over the past 3 years. And to the worst position over the past 3 years, the OL. We lose Williams who's started 3 years for us, Henry who's started 2 years. Were they great? Nope, but the guys behind them apparantly weren't good enough to play above them despite injuries. Sirles had some moments, A-Rod has some talent. Caputo isn't going to magically grow 3 inches and put on 30 lbs, in fact with his surgery on his knee he may go backwards. RG? Qvale? Can he stay healthy? RT, Marcel, if healthy could be a good one. The game is won and lost in the trenches, and on the offensive side of the ball, we just don't have the talent yet, and sure don't have the coaching.

Well - I guess what I am saying here is it is 2008 in hindsight. Meaning it could be a 2008 type of year. Maybe 2006 would be more appropriate as a comparison?

My point is, this was our year to make that run, and we more or less crashed. The longer it gets from the Holiday Bowl, the more the magnitude of the crash sinks in to me. Bo, I believe, was gunning for a MNC this year. He really was thinking title. When you make a run and crash you have to gather the pieces, reset, and claw back up there.

I expect a lot of rough transitioning - battling for 9-win seasons - before we gather all the pieces to make another bold move for the MNC. There is nothing wrong with that, but I am trying to shield our HC from unreasonable expectations. We are assuredly headed in the right direction, but I feel strongly that we missed a shot at BCS this year and could be waiting at least a couple years for the next one. Don't fret, in the meantime, as I think Bo will be building up a solid program.

We did miss a shot at the BCS this year, and this was a year to make a run. We were pretty close, when you look back at it game by game, even though it may not seem like that now, after the meaningless exhibition against Washington.

In 2008, we were rebuilding a defense that ranked as one of the worst in the country. We aren't doing that next year, on either side of the ball.

In 2010, it was silly for anyone to seriously expect a run at the national title after how horrible our offense was in 2009, when it ranked as one of the worst in the country. We didn't make a serious run at the title, but we did see clear offensive improvement until Martinez's injury, and even looking back at the overall season, you see a large statistical improvement on offense compared to 2009, like what we saw from the defense from 2007 to 2008.

If the offense can make another leap next year, even if not as drastic as what the defense did from 2008-2009, then Nebraska could be a real competitor for the conference title. But we have to build an offensive system that is sound enough that it doesn't just completely collapse if Taylor Martinez is taken away from it (which is not only what happened after Martinez was hurt, but what happened against SDSU and against Texas).

1. Cody's a great guy, but I'm guessing the fact that the team got up for Colorado had more to do with the fact that the division championship was on the line, and I'm guessing the reason the team looked so good has to do with the fact that Colorado blows.

I guess everybody is going to be down since the most recent game in memory was a clunker, and because we lost 3 of our last 4... But the loss against Texas A&M should not have been a loss. We were then one field goal away from overtime in the Big 12 championship, one touchdown away from a BCS win over UConn. We then lost a game that nobody gave a damn about because of the rarest of circumstances, a rematch against a team we already beat by 35 points in the same bowl game that we were in last year, after our season goals had just slipped through our fingers.

HEY HUSKERNATION - Get your heads up! There's plenty that Nebraska needs to get better at, but this team is returning plenty of talent on defense including Dennard, David, Compton, Fisher, Meredith, Steinkuhler, hopefully Crick, Osborne, Cassidy, Ciante Evans... We're loaded on that side of the ball! On offense, we return tough as nails running back Rex Burkhead, along with the most successful freshman QB in Nebraska football history. We need playmakers to step up at WR, and we need some leaders and some ballers to step up on the o-line. But we're going to be better than some people on this board are acting like...

We also could have won the title at A&M and came out and played like crap.

We need playmakers to step up at WR? Who? What based off of the last 3 years of this offensive staff makes you think WR's will step up? This is the 2nd worst position on our team over the past 3 years. And to the worst position over the past 3 years, the OL. We lose Williams who's started 3 years for us, Henry who's started 2 years. Were they great? Nope, but the guys behind them apparantly weren't good enough to play above them despite injuries. Sirles had some moments, A-Rod has some talent. Caputo isn't going to magically grow 3 inches and put on 30 lbs, in fact with his surgery on his knee he may go backwards. RG? Qvale? Can he stay healthy? RT, Marcel, if healthy could be a good one. The game is won and lost in the trenches, and on the offensive side of the ball, we just don't have the talent yet, and sure don't have the coaching.

We could have won the title at A&M, but we didn't have to. And if I recall correctly, Cody Green played the entire second quarter of that game. I didn't see the team miraculously get better with him running the huddle. The team seemed to be plenty motivated with Martinez at the helm early in the season against Washington and Kansas State... And if a player on the team seriously told you guys that they play harder for Cody Green than for Taylor Martinez, that's a sign of immaturity from that player, not the QB. Could Taylor be a better leader? Sure. But if I were a coach and found out that one of my players wasn't playing hard because they had personal issues with the guy taking snaps, I'd bench that kid without thinking twice about it.

As far as the OL and the WRs, I don't know who is going to step up. All I said was, "We need some playmakers to step up." You're right, if they just keep sucking, then we'll be in trouble. But that's exactly where were heading in to 2010, and 2009, and 2008, and ... We need guys to step up, we need to get better, but the ship isn't sinking. We've gone 9-4, 10-4, 10-4. Everybody just relax, hope that the basketball and baseball teams aren't unbearable to watch, and let's hope that somebody shows us something in the spring game. Unless we have staff changes, then we'll actually have something to talk about before then.

I was watching the Under Armour AA practices on ESPN this afternoon and they got to talking about how tOSU is the best in the Big 10 because of the overall speed that they have. Right about then, Jamal Turner caught a short pass and made the defender miss and ran it in for a TD and the announcers said that is the reason that Neb. will do good in the Big 10 because of the speed they will bring to the confrence. With guys like Jamal, Aaron, Braylon and the slew of guys we already have, we will be the second fastest or the fastest in the Big 10.

For some reason, I'm not at all worried about our schedule and think we will be one of the best in the confrence.

I was watching the Under Armour AA practices on ESPN this afternoon and they got to talking about how tOSU is the best in the Big 10 because of the overall speed that they have. Right about then, Jamal Turner caught a short pass and made the defender miss and ran it in for a TD and the announcers said that is the reason that Neb. will do good in the Big 10 because of the speed they will bring to the confrence. With guys like Jamal, Aaron, Braylon and the slew of guys we already have, we will be the second fastest or the fastest in the Big 10.

For some reason, I'm not at all worried about our schedule and think we will be one of the best in the confrence.

Is Jamal not playing QB at the Under Armour AA thing?

Is Jamal not playing QB at the Under Armour AA thing?

wide receiver

Speed means nothing if you can't get them the ball, or block for them. Niles Paul is the fastest player on the team, how'd that work out for him over 4 years overall? He never came close to his potential here, lots of it was his fault, but a bigger part was his position coach, and playing with 4 QB's in 4 years. Currenski Gilleylen is also very fast, but he doesn't sniff the field. Our offense is not really designed to take advantage of speed, our best receivers were two guys who while not completely slow, could not keep up in a foot race with the two mentioned. Yet in our WR schemes, they got themselves open and made catches.

I've yet to see our offensive staff take advantage of speed except for Taylor for about 6-7 games.

Now if you're talking defense? Yes, our speed is an advantage on that side of the ball.

That's another interesting thing. While most have pined for Alabama/Wisconsin's offensive style and assumed Bo Pelini would return us to a tough power game, he actually has us going full bore for finesse shotgun spread option. I am OK with this because I think it can match up reaaal well in the Big 10.

That's another interesting thing. While most have pined for Alabama/Wisconsin's offensive style and assumed Bo Pelini would return us to a tough power game, he actually has us going full bore for finesse shotgun spread option. I am OK with this because I think it can match up reaaal well in the Big 10.

I don't think Bo wants us to be as finesse as we looked at times this year. I don't think the shotgun spread option can possibly be as punishing as Alabama/Wisconsin because of the lack of those bigger bodies, but the spread option should still be physical. Oregon and Auburn and Florida are all pretty physical football teams, especially compared to Missouri or Texas.

vs Tenn-Chattanooga-WIN

vs Fresno St-WIN

vs Washington-WIN

@ Wyoming-WIN

@ Wisconsin-Loss

Ohio State-loss

off week

@ Minnesota-win

Mich St-win

Northwestern-win

@ Penn St-loss

@ Michigan-win

Iowa-win

In all honesty, i think this is what happens. 3 losses. Wisc and tOSU are going to be near impossible wins, especially back to back. I think we lose one of the 3(mich st,penn st, iowa)

I dont see six losses.

I think we come out with some fire and have a decent first season.

I say 9-3, losses to Wisconsin, Ohio state, and either Penn State/Iowa.

Praying for 14-0, obviously :)

I'd be happy with 9-3 in our 1st B1G season, especially if that 9-3 gets us to the CCG for the Legends Division.

Btw, sweet sig JD-Red. "Husker Jesus" = brilliant! Welcome aboard.

Speed means nothing if you can't get them the ball, or block for them. Niles Paul is the fastest player on the team, how'd that work out for him over 4 years overall? He never came close to his potential here, lots of it was his fault, but a bigger part was his position coach, and playing with 4 QB's in 4 years. Currenski Gilleylen is also very fast, but he doesn't sniff the field. Our offense is not really designed to take advantage of speed, our best receivers were two guys who while not completely slow, could not keep up in a foot race with the two mentioned. Yet in our WR schemes, they got themselves open and made catches.

I've yet to see our offensive staff take advantage of speed except for Taylor for about 6-7 games.

Now if you're talking defense? Yes, our speed is an advantage on that side of the ball.

This is my thought as well. Our biggest problem is the OL, but the receiving corp. has been a liability as well. When looking at our offense, two things jump out. We led the nation in fumbles. We led the conference in penalties. Those two things alone for a lot of teams would mean losing season. Our OL can't block. Our receivers can't catch. Our running backs and quarterbacks treat the ball like a hot potato. When TO hired Bo, he stated the primary reason was because our defense was lacking. It appears to me that we've done nothing more than just flip a 180, and now our offense is lacking. I've seen junior high teams catch better and hold onto the ball better than our offense. After seeing some games where our offense played rather well, I'm of the opinion that it isn't inept rather it just needs some better position coaches.

I think Nebraska will win one of the tOSU/Wisky games but drop a game to someone like Northwestern that they don't expect to lose. My prediction is 9-3 with the Iowa game being for the division crown (and of course Iowa winning it :P)

Iowa and Nebraska were both supposed to do much better this year than they ended up doing so it will be interesting to see how we both bounce back next year.