When do we start to hold Dr. Tom accountable?

Dr. Tom as AD  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm just curious to know when we are going to start holding Dr. Tom accountable...as an AD of course!

I never have nor will I ever question him as a coach and leader of young men. However, I will most certainly question him as an AD. There are a few topics which I would like to open for discussion:

1 - Didn't Dr. Tom request Watson to remain a part of the staff when he brought on Pelini?

2 - The more I look at the Big 10/Big 12 debacle the more I question his vision! He was very clear in the mid 90's that the power in football was shifting south, rightfully so!!! What is 4 or 5 going on 5 or 6 straight national titles from the SEC??? So then, why would he want to move to the rust belt? Before you say money and prestige, let me remind you, that when we were rolling right, no one cared how bad the Big 8 was, and we made plenty of money by winning! It is quite clear that winning the Legends division will be much more difficult than the North. I digress....

3 - Two words....Frank. Solich.

So whether or not you agree with me on the Big 10 move, what makes you want to keep Dr. Tom as the AD? I'm just curious what everyones' thoughts are since the topic has never been breached....

Let me ask you a question. You say you never have nor will question him as a coach. There was once a time he had a coordinator that took probably as much if not more heat than Watson has but TO stuck with McBride. If you didn't question him then, why question him over wanting Watson retained? Even Tommy Tuberville questioned the power pendulum in the Big 12 where different teams receive different pay. The Big 12 is disfunctional, yet you're questioning TO over wanting out? I've pointed this out time and time again. Solich did more in his six years at Nebraska than TO did in his first six years. They both stepped into similar situations. Our sports programs are doing fine. Boosters are still donating. There isn't anything he's done as AD that hasn't been good. He should get to hang around as long as he wants to.

Oh, so now no one has a problem with him naming his own replacement and said replacement being a massive bust??? Say what you want about Solich's record, those teams were getting progressively worse and worse every year...

Anyways, I'm not going to argue whether or not Frankie Highwaters should still be here or never fired or whatever...

I just wanted to open discussion on TO's decisions as AD. Naming his successor, naming asst coaches to another coaches staff, biggest move in school history...etc.

Osborne is in no way accountable for what is happening right now except if he is still really, really pushing Bo to keep Watson because that is not an AD's job. Let Bo be the coach and pick the guys he wants. Watson seemed like a good idea the first couple years to keep cohesiveness on O together until Bo could get D turned around.

But now it's the O's turn. Things need to change, but Osborne shouldn't be involved with much of what happens in the future when it comes to coaching hiring and firing unless it's the HC.

It's not like we are back to the Callahan era where we are .500 or a little better every year. Bo is getting things done, the wins are up, and the wins will be up even more once we get the Offense going in the right direction.

Osborne will be around as long as he wants to be and will never be in trouble, because if he does he will just Bill Snyder the program until we win another MNC and then retire again.

Let me ask you a question. You say you never have nor will question him as a coach. There was once a time he had a coordinator that took probably as much if not more heat than Watson has but TO stuck with McBride. If you didn't question him then, why question him over wanting Watson retained? Even Tommy Tuberville questioned the power pendulum in the Big 12 where different teams receive different pay. The Big 12 is disfunctional, yet you're questioning TO over wanting out? I've pointed this out time and time again. Solich did more in his six years at Nebraska than TO did in his first six years. They both stepped into similar situations. Our sports programs are doing fine. Boosters are still donating. There isn't anything he's done as AD that hasn't been good. He should get to hang around as long as he wants to.

And by no means am I saying the Big 12 wasn't completely screwed up, especially the TV contract, BUT why not get the Big 8 schools back on our side of things and get in line to renegotiate the deal? After the scare of being relegated to the MAC or MVC or wherever, you don't think we could have gotten teams to see it our way and save the conference???

What the hell....

We're going to hold TO accountable for...?

Winning 3 National Titles?

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner?

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years?

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years?

I don't understand where this thread is going. It's purely speculation that TO has ANYTHING to do with Watson STILL being here. He only suggested it for the transition to a new HC.

• Fire 1

And by no means am I saying the Big 12 wasn't completely screwed up, especially the TV contract, BUT why not get the Big 8 schools back on our side of things and get in line to renegotiate the deal? After the scare of being relegated to the MAC or MVC or wherever, you don't think we could have gotten teams to see it our way and save the conference???

I definitely understand what you're saying. However, the decisions was about a lot more than just football and/or even sports. I don't like the Big 10, and I really never have. They have the reputation of being big and slow for a reason. However, this decision was about a lot more than football. At the end of the day, I'm not sure getting the other Big 12 schools in line would have even been successful. The Texas schools would have fallen in line with Texas. A renegotiation would have really drawn a line in the sand. The other schools would have been forced to either side with Nebraska or side with Texas. I'm not sure we win much there. Whilst we were doing all this, Mizzou might very well be the chosen one to the Big 10. It would have been way too big of gamble.

What the hell....

We're going to hold TO accountable for...?

Winning 3 National Titles? AS A COACH, WHICH I MENTIONED I WOULD NEVER QUESTION HIM AT

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner? YOU FORGOT TO MENTION, HE LEFT THE CUPBOARD EMPTY BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO RECRUIT OUT OF THE NEIGHBORING STATES

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years? NO BRAINER

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years? I LOVE THE RESULTS TO THIS POINT, BUT WEREN'T WE ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH TO GET A PROVEN HC

I don't understand where this thread is going. It's purely speculation that TO has ANYTHING to do with Watson STILL being here. He only suggested it for the transition to a new HC.

You also completely ignored the fact that after retiring because he saw the writing on the wall and the power shift going south, he got into a position of power and made a historical decision for the university to shift away from the south....