Offensive Changes

We need to not over react when something goes wrong on offense. I think this is Bo's problem not Watson's. If the offense starts to look sloppy or throws a pick I've noticed that we go into turtle mode with one order ... don't turn it over and the defense will take care of the rest. The problem is when the offense goes ultra conservative they suck, they should just sit on the bench run a few minutes off the clock then come in and kick it. I have no faith in what Watts can do with an offense but I know when we stop trying we are in a world of hurt. I understand the pros and cons especially with Watson but the problem is the D is not always going to keep teams under 10 points so the offense must try to get points. Perhaps Bo had too much positive reinforcement last year when we managed to win so many games with kick a** D but this is not a championship strategy. The offense needs to keep trying and when they screw up the D will need to bail ‘em out. I can’t stand to see play calling that send a signal to the players on offense that the coaches have decided to stop competing.

Here's my opinion:

Play Calling:

- Passing on 1st down - keep a defense guessing instead of running with the RB or QB every 1st down situation

- screen plays - take some pressure of the QB and let the other skill players get some yards

Taylor Martinez: where to begin...

- Footwork and mechanics

-Pre-snap reads

- pocket presence

- leadership and attitude (possibly the most important)

Rest of Offense:

-Turnovers and penalties killed us the most this year

-Line Play needs to improve, not sure what exactly the problem is though

- WR's need to be more consistent, losing Niles and McNeil will definitely hurt in 2011

Those are the main changes I could think of, any others?

• Fire 2

We need to find a QB in the stable that can do more than just take off with the ball himself. Someone with the confidence to get the job done. Martinez and Green are not the answer IMHO. But the first thing we need is a new staff on the offensive side of the ball...Watson has had his chance, and he failed, Cotton is not getting the job done with the offensive line, and Gilmore has not given us any receivers that can be consistent when catching the ball. It is time for a fresh start.

i want to mention tempo. Our offense takes ALL DAY to get going. Use most of the playclock every play there is no urgency. I think it was Chip Kelly talking about how much of an advantage tempo is at the college level. IMO this is the biggest issue and idk why it is such a problem for us.

Other than the ridiculous number of fumbles we had this year, I think what killed us the most was how little reception production we got out of our tight ends and backs. An inexperienced QB should be making a living off those guys...not to mention Helu was possibly the most dangerous back in all of college football in space this year.

i want to mention tempo. Our offense takes ALL DAY to get going. Use most of the playclock every play there is no urgency. I think it was Chip Kelly talking about how much of an advantage tempo is at the college level. IMO this is the biggest issue and idk why it is such a problem for us.

On the other hand, having an offense that can chew clock may be a huge advantage as well. It's kind of a double-edged sword: If you run an up-tempo offense, you'd better hope you don't turn the ball over or get a 3-and-out or else you put your defense right back on the field. Even then, Oregon's offense averaged something like 1:45 per drive. That puts a lot of pressure on your D to stay fresh.

I have always thought that the ideal team would be one that played fierce defense, relied on a power run game on offense that chewed the clock effectively, and had excellent kicking. Turn a few 6-8 minute drives into scores, get a few quick stops on D, and you have seized control of the game.

Here's my opinion:

Play Calling:

- Passing on 1st down - keep a defense guessing instead of running with the RB or QB every 1st down situation

- screen plays - take some pressure of the QB and let the other skill players get some yards

- Footwork and mechanics

-Pre-snap reads

- pocket presence

Rest of Offense:

- WR's need to be more consistent, losing Niles and McNeil will definitely hurt in 2011

I think these two are the most important!

Other than the ridiculous number of fumbles we had this year, I think what killed us the most was how little reception production we got out of our tight ends and backs. An inexperienced QB should be making a living off those guys...not to mention Helu was possibly the most dangerous back in all of college football in space this year.

Uh Kyler Reed anyone? He lead the team in TD receptions. He was basically our only consistent receiving threat.

Helu is straight-line fast in space, I'll give you that. As far as possibly being the most dangerous back in all of CFB? Please. I'd take about 10 other guys before I'd take him. Not a knock on Helu at all. More of a knock on your hyperbolic statement.

Uh Kyler Reed anyone? He lead the team in TD receptions. He was basically our only consistent receiving threat.

Helu is straight-line fast in space, I'll give you that. As far as possibly being the most dangerous back in all of CFB? Please. I'd take about 10 other guys before I'd take him. Not a knock on Helu at all. More of a knock on your hyperbolic statement.

Everytime you'd see a 40 yd TD pass, it always seemed to be Kyler Reed.

I'm not sure Helu was one of the most dangerous. I think a better description might be hard working. That kid didn't give up the rock at all, if i'm not mistaken. I can't call him the most dangerous though, the 40 plus yards he had against Texas might not strengthen your arguement.

Here's my opinion:

Play Calling:

- Footwork and mechanics

-Pre-snap reads

- pocket presence

Rest of Offense:

I think that pretty much sums it up.

I'm not sure Helu was one of the most dangerous. I think a better description might be hard working. That kid didn't give up the rock at all, if i'm not mistaken. I can't call him the most dangerous though, the 40 plus yards he had against Texas might not strengthen your arguement.

Surely you don't mean that Helu never fumbled, because he was a fumbling machine. Killer fumble against Texas, lost the ball against Iowa State, horrible fumble against Oklahoma, fumbled at Texas A&M, etc.

We need to find a QB in the stable that can do more than just take off with the ball himself. Someone with the confidence to get the job done. Martinez and Green are not the answer IMHO. But the first thing we need is a new staff on the offensive side of the ball...Watson has had his chance, and he failed, Cotton is not getting the job done with the offensive line, and Gilmore has not given us any receivers that can be consistent when catching the ball. It is time for a fresh start.

Good post but a decent qb coach, wrs who actually catch the ball (& then didn't fumble it), an Oline that actually blocks somebody and an OC who has any kind of clue whatsoever would make any qb look a LOT better.

I agree it is time for a fresh start.